Michigan Vacation help needed!

570traveler

DIS Veteran
We are planning a back up trip in case our WDW trip falls through next month. We are from PA and will have about 7 days to explore Michigan. We’ve been to St. Joseph and love the town. My thought is to drive to the western side of Michigan and drive north all the way to Macinaw City. Then follow the eastern edge back down towards Detroit.
Any recommendations on stopping points? We enjoy walking around towns/historic sites. We aren’t into hiking, kayaking, etc.
Hotel recommendations?
Thanks!

Don’t know Covid is affecting things in Michigan tourism wise but my sister lives there and I have done multiple trips there. I liked Traverse City area. Nearby is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore both on the Western side of the mitten, Frankenmuth off of I75 north of Flint is cool. It’s one of those faux German towns and home of Bronners the World’s Largest Christmas store. In Detroit, the zoo is nice and the DIA which is art museum is cool. We also have done a boat tour on the Detroit River which was cool. You can see Canada.

Don’t know Covid is affecting things in Michigan tourism wise but my sister lives there and I have done multiple trips there. I liked Traverse City area. Nearby is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore both on the Western side of the mitten, Frankenmuth off of I75 north of Flint is cool. It’s one of those faux German towns and home of Bronners the World’s Largest Christmas store. In Detroit, the zoo is nice and the DIA which is art museum is cool. We also have done a boat tour on the Detroit River which was cool. You can see Canada.

Thanks! My husband loves anything Christmas so we will definitely check out Bronners. Traverse City looks cool too!

I don’t know what your dates are, and a lot of stuff is currently shut down, but I’m originally from southeast Michigan and have a few suggestions:

Traverse City and the Leelanau Peninsula have a ton of wineries. I haven’t been since before I was 21, but I will say that the wine I’ve had elsewhere is very good.

If you visit Mackinaw City, I suggest at least one night there, and make a day trip to Mackinac Island. You might not be interested in biking around the island, but they have museumand historical sites related to Fort Mackinac, which was a successor to Fort Michilimackinac in Mackinac City. The island is just really pretty.

Frankenmuth is an adorable town that is steeped in nostalgia for me, so I’m biased. Like Skippyboo said, Bronner’s is a massive Christmas store. There are these two “waring” chicken dinner places: Zehnder’s and Bavarian Inn. Let me tell you a secret: they’re pretty much the same. In fact, the matriarch at Bavarian Inn is currently Dorothy Zehnder. Zehnder’s is more kid friendly and feels more chaotic; Bavarian Inn is a little calmer and has a few different additions to the menu. As someone who has done both, I have a huge nostalgic pull for Zehnder’s, but I do appreciate the feel of Bavarian Inn.

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn is another super interesting history stop. The museum has rotating exhibits, but they always planes, trains, and automobiles. (It’s Michigan.) The Village is an outdoor living history museum. It’s filled with reconstructed buildings and homes including a replica of Edison’s Menlo Park, the Wright Brothers bike shop, and Noah Webster’s home. If you have to pick one, I’d choose Greenfield Village. Bonus: I didn’t learn this until the past year, but Greenfield Village was an inspiration for Disneyland’s Main Street. Walt visited in the 1940s.

I don’t know what your dates are, and a lot of stuff is currently shut down, but I’m originally from southeast Michigan and have a few suggestions:

Traverse City and the Leelanau Peninsula have a ton of wineries. I haven’t been since before I was 21, but I will say that the wine I’ve had elsewhere is very good.

If you visit Mackinaw City, I suggest at least one night there, and make a day trip to Mackinac Island. You might not be interested in biking around the island, but they have museumand historical sites related to Fort Mackinac, which was a successor to Fort Michilimackinac in Mackinac City. The island is just really pretty.

Frankenmuth is an adorable town that is steeped in nostalgia for me, so I’m biased. Like Skippyboo said, Bronner’s is a massive Christmas store. There are these two “waring” chicken dinner places: Zehnder’s and Bavarian Inn. Let me tell you a secret: they’re pretty much the same. In fact, the matriarch at Bavarian Inn is currently Dorothy Zehnder. Zehnder’s is more kid friendly and feels more chaotic; Bavarian Inn is a little calmer and has a few different additions to the menu. As someone who has done both, I have a huge nostalgic pull for Zehnder’s, but I do appreciate the feel of Bavarian Inn.

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn is another super interesting history stop. The museum has rotating exhibits, but they always planes, trains, and automobiles. (It’s Michigan.) The Village is an outdoor living history museum. It’s filled with reconstructed buildings and homes including a replica of Edison’s Menlo Park, the Wright Brothers bike shop, and Noah Webster’s home. If you have to pick one, I’d choose Greenfield Village. Bonus: I didn’t learn this until the past year, but Greenfield Village was an inspiration for Disneyland’s Main Street. Walt visited in the 1940s.

thank you for the ideas! We are scheduled to leave for WDW on July 18. We are watching that area as well as Michigan to see what may or may not be open. I really want to go to Disney but if it’s not on the cards I’d be excited to take this road trip through Michigan.

My parents live in petoskey. They said a fair amount of stuff is open. I recommend a trip to Mackinack island (we love biking around it). Harbor springs and petoskey are also nice stops.

good to know that things are opening up. Mackinack island is definitely on our list!

We really enjoyed the Traverse City area a few years ago. Kids were around 11 and 15 at the time. We spent a day at the Sleeping Bear Dunes. There were a few neat historical buildings there. There was a nearby town I don't recall the name but do remember a neat store called Cherry Republic. We spent a few days in the main area of Traverse City on the lake. Rented kayaks one day, spent time browsing a block of shops, saw a couple movies at the two theaters downtown. We are seriously considering going back to Traverse City area and checking out some other spots on the way so watching this post with interest.

I am a native Michigander and having been going Up North in Michigan for decades. I currently have plans to go to the Petoskey area in August and Traverse City in September. I really don’t know the current situation up there due to Covid-19, but I think many things are open at reduced capacity. Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island are always fun.

I also like South Haven, Holland and Grand Haven. All very cute towns on the west side of the state.

Traverse City has lots of hotels right on Grand Traverse Bay with great views and a beach. My favorites are the Tamarack Lodge (very $), The Beach Condominiums, Sugar Beach Resort, Grand Beach Resort (just to name a few). Not on the beach, but very nice is the Grand Traverse Resort. Up near Petoskey, I like the Crooked River Lodge.

I hope you have a great trip. Enjoy Michigan!

Here's another vote for heading north. We live in West Michigan and get up north at least once a year. We love going to Sleeping Bear Dunes and to Mackinac Island, too. You don't need to hike or kayak at either spot to have a lovely time.

Spending a day or two at a B&B would work, too, and the Lake Michigan coast is full of them.

I live in Michigan. These are my favorite places to visit:

We get memberships with reciprocity to gardens, museums and science centers which allows us entry into many all over the country.

Kalamazoo - Air Zoo - nice airplane museum. Volunteers tell great stories about the different planes.

Grand Rapids - Public Museum - an excellent science museum with good planetarium shows. The Bodies exhibit is there until fall. Also, Frederick Meijer Gardens is a gem. They sometimes have quality special small art exhibits.

Grand Haven - has a beautiful state park and nice walking trail from town to the light house along the Grand River. Fricanos is a long time favorite for unique, thin crust pizza.

Muskegon - tour the WW2 sub Silversides and see their museum.

Silver Lake - take a dune buggy tour over the expansive dunes

Glen Arbor - drive the amazing Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive through a beautiful forest and dune area. Take a short hike from near the top of the dune Which allows for beautiful views of Sleeping Bear Dunes. There are cute artists shops in Glen Arbor.

Leland - see Fishtown and get some smoked fish from Carlsons.

Crystal Mountain - ride the chairlift to the top for nice views

Traverse City - a small town gem. The Dennos Museum is small but well done. Some of their special exhibits are great. See Drive up the Mission Peninsula and stop and various wineries along the way. The views from Chantal Chateau is beautiful.

Williamsburg - has a cute, small musical instrument museum.

Central Lake - stop by King Orchards for great cherry items. Order a pie ahead of time.

Charlevoix - drive around to see the “mushroom houses“ made from field stone. My favorite fancy restaurant, Terrys, is open for dinner only (get a reservation).

Petosky - nice downtown area. Drive through the old, historic cottages on the bluff.

Harbor Springs - drive from this town to Good Hart through the ”tunnel of trees” road.

Mackinaw City - the fort is great, light house interesting. Get a pass for all of the parks and forts in the area if you would like to see them all. The free bridge museum above a pizza shop is worth a visit. The video on building the bridge runs frequently.

Mackinaw Island - a real gem. Must see the Grand Hotel and gardens. The road around the island is closed for repairs due to erosion, but should open to arch rock sometime in late July. Rent bikes, horses or take a carriage ride or just walk around. We love the whitefish at Seabiscuit. Chuckwagon has good food cheap. Douds has sandwiches made to order to takeout. The gardens on the island are amazing considering the remote location.

We don’t spend much time on the east coast of Michigan If you end up driving through Gaylord, look for the herd of elk not far off the main strip.

Frankenmuth is cute and unique and well worth a stop.

Most of the summer festivals have been cancelled. Many of the towns may not want visitors spreading the virus. Check the local newspapers online before your trip to make sure where your tourist dollars are welcome this year.

I live in Michigan. These are my favorite places to visit:

We get memberships with reciprocity to gardens, museums and science centers which allows us entry into many all over the country.

Kalamazoo - Air Zoo - nice airplane museum. Volunteers tell great stories about the different planes.

Grand Rapids - Public Museum - an excellent science museum with good planetarium shows. The Bodies exhibit is there until fall. Also, Frederick Meijer Gardens is a gem. They sometimes have quality special small art exhibits.

Grand Haven - has a beautiful state park and nice walking trail from town to the light house along the Grand River. Fricanos is a long time favorite for unique, thin crust pizza.

Muskegon - tour the WW2 sub Silversides and see their museum.

Silver Lake - take a dune buggy tour over the expansive dunes

Glen Arbor - drive the amazing Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive through a beautiful forest and dune area. Take a short hike from near the top of the dune Which allows for beautiful views of Sleeping Bear Dunes. There are cute artists shops in Glen Arbor.

Leland - see Fishtown and get some smoked fish from Carlsons.

Crystal Mountain - ride the chairlift to the top for nice views

Traverse City - a small town gem. The Dennos Museum is small but well done. Some of their special exhibits are great. See Drive up the Mission Peninsula and stop and various wineries along the way. The views from Chantal Chateau is beautiful.

Williamsburg - has a cute, small musical instrument museum.

Central Lake - stop by King Orchards for great cherry items. Order a pie ahead of time.

Charlevoix - drive around to see the “mushroom houses“ made from field stone. My favorite fancy restaurant, Terrys, is open for dinner only (get a reservation).

Petosky - nice downtown area. Drive through the old, historic cottages on the bluff.

Harbor Springs - drive from this town to Good Hart through the ”tunnel of trees” road.

Mackinaw City - the fort is great, light house interesting. Get a pass for all of the parks and forts in the area if you would like to see them all. The free bridge museum above a pizza shop is worth a visit. The video on building the bridge runs frequently.

Mackinaw Island - a real gem. Must see the Grand Hotel and gardens. The road around the island is closed for repairs due to erosion, but should open to arch rock sometime in late July. Rent bikes, horses or take a carriage ride or just walk around. We love the whitefish at Seabiscuit. Chuckwagon has good food cheap. Douds has sandwiches made to order to takeout. The gardens on the island are amazing considering the remote location.

We don’t spend much time on the east coast of Michigan If you end up driving through Gaylord, look for the herd of elk not far off the main strip.

Frankenmuth is cute and unique and well worth a stop.

Most of the summer festivals have been cancelled. Many of the towns may not want visitors spreading the virus. Check the local newspapers online before your trip to make sure where your tourist dollars are welcome this year.

thanks for the detailed response! A lot of these activities are what we would normally do. We have had the science museum memberships in the past and have taken advantage of the reciprocity on many of our road trips. I’ll have to dive deeper into this and see what places may be open. Thanks!

I live in the UP. Things are open, mostly, with social distancing in place for restaurants. No bars in my town are open, but they are allowed to be open I think with certain restrictions. Campgrounds are all open, restaurants at 25-50% capacity. No museums, libraries, or theaters are open and some of the smaller museums like the county iron museum and things are not going to open in 2020 at all now. Our local fireworks, theater shows, and concerts are all cancelled. Some churches have opened, but most have not.

I love Florida (live there half time), but it's really becoming a big hot spot right now and some places are starting to voluntarily close. I'm still planning on going in July to check on my house and spend some time kayaking at my house, but I'm far more nervous about new restrictions coming there than any issue in Michigan.

I live in the UP. Things are open, mostly, with social distancing in place for restaurants. No bars in my town are open, but they are allowed to be open I think with certain restrictions. Campgrounds are all open, restaurants at 25-50% capacity. No museums, libraries, or theaters are open and some of the smaller museums like the county iron museum and things are not going to open in 2020 at all now. Our local fireworks, theater shows, and concerts are all cancelled. Some churches have opened, but most have not.

I love Florida (live there half time), but it's really becoming a big hot spot right now and some places are starting to voluntarily close. I'm still planning on going in July to check on my house and spend some time kayaking at my house, but I'm far more nervous about new restrictions coming there than any issue in Michigan.
My parents are snowbirds (Naples/Petoskey). I thought they were crazy flying to michigan two weeks ago. Now I’m so glad they are up there.

I forgot to mention the best museum complex in Michigan that includes The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. The Henry Ford has a special Marvel comics exhibit on display until January 2021. I think it is the same one that was at Franklin Institute in Philadelphia last year.

The rouge factory tour where you can see where the Ford F150 pickup trucks are made reopens at the end of July.

i can’t think of a better way to enjoy a cool day in Michigan than a stroll through Greenfield Village. We are members, and love to ride the steam train and old cars through the village.

A lot has changed this year due to the virus, so check online for details, reservations and ticket prices. The Marvel exhibit is expensive ($35).

I forgot to mention the best museum complex in Michigan that includes The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. The Henry Ford has a special Marvel comics exhibit on display until January 2021. I think it is the same one that was at Franklin Institute in Philadelphia last year.

The rouge factory tour where you can see where the Ford F150 pickup trucks are made reopens at the end of July.

i can’t think of a better way to enjoy a cool day in Michigan than a stroll through Greenfield Village. We are members, and love to ride the steam train and old cars through the village.

A lot has changed this year due to the virus, so check online for details, reservations and ticket prices. The Marvel exhibit is expensive ($35).

this is definitely a stop we are considering. My sister lived in Dearborn when I was in college (about 30 years ago) and she took me there. it’s exactly the type of activity we like to do:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter