Michigan Vacation help needed!

I’d skip November. Once the clouds move in for the winter, it is too dreary. Our temps are finally going down into the 70s and low 80s. We love to travel in Michigan in August when most bugs are gone and the temperature is a bit lower. The harvest season in Michigan is fantastic. Late summer is a great time to visit u-pick blueberry and raspberry farms.

I’d skip November. Once the clouds move in for the winter, it is too dreary. Our temps are finally going down into the 70s and low 80s. We love to travel in Michigan in August when most bugs are gone and the temperature is a bit lower. The harvest season in Michigan is fantastic. Late summer is a great time to visit u-pick blueberry and raspberry farms.

I figured late November would be out. We are hoping to semi-retire in a few years so maybe then we could get there in the fall. For now, we will just plan on going in the summer.

Just saying that I really enjoyed this thread. What a great Michigan adventure, OP, and so many great contributions from so many posters of fun things to do in the state. Our mini Michigan trip is a week from next Monday, and I'm really looking forward to it. This will be my first overnight travel since COVID-19 (mini four night trip - flying places to maximize time -- two night Mackinac Island and two nights Dearborn). Had European trip (Paris and Belfast) originally scheduled for June, and that was canceled, of course, with all the COVID stuff. I still have mixed emotions about traveling, but decided to do some (cutting back a bunch and hopefully we're being prudent). We feel Michigan calling us.

Just saying that I really enjoyed this thread. What a great Michigan adventure, OP, and so many great contributions from so many posters of fun things to do in the state. Our mini Michigan trip is a week from next Monday, and I'm really looking forward to it. This will be my first overnight travel since COVID-19 (mini four night trip - flying places to maximize time -- two night Mackinac Island and two nights Dearborn). Had European trip (Paris and Belfast) originally scheduled for June, and that was canceled, of course, with all the COVID stuff. I still have mixed emotions about traveling, but decided to do some (cutting back a bunch and hopefully we're being prudent). We feel Michigan calling us.

My friend and I are taking our Michigan getaway (first of two) a week from next Monday, too! We are headed to the Petoskey area for a few days. I am looking forward to changing the scenery for the first time since January. I, too, have mixed emotions about traveling, but I think we are going to go. We have plans for Traverse City for mid-September and I look forward to that trip, too.

Have fun. I am a native Michigander, so I’ve done these same trips many times. I‘m not sure I have ever looked forward to them more than I am right now. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

A fun activity to consider are chairlift rides at Boyne Mountain or Highlands. Rides are free for resort guests but only cost $5 or $10 for visitors. Last fall, we rode the lift at Crystal Mountain as the trees were changing. It was spectacular! Hours are limited so check their websites first. The ski areas offer fun activities for kids like zip lines, Segway tours, Indoor water parks, golf cart rentals, etc.

Some wineries still offer summer concerts since people can spread out. There aren’t many events left on community calendars, but there are a few.

Farm visits can be really fun. Red raspberry season starts soon and continues until frost. We love King Orchards in Central Lake north of Traverse City. They grow honey crisp apples on espaliered trees. They sell wonderful cherry juice and pies. Their farm is fun to drive around.
In Dearborn, consider dining at Buddys Pizza. It is a Detroit institution. Their Square pan pizza is very unique and a favorite of ours. Don’t miss the Marvel exhibit in the Henry Ford or their glass exhibit. It is amazing..

Sleeping Bear Natl Park has closed some of their attractions on Monday and Tuesday. Check websites before traveling so you know what is open or closed.

Enjoy your travels in Michigan.

Last edited:
A fun activity to consider are chairlift rides at Boyle Mountain or Highlands. Rides are free for resort guests but only cost $5 or $10 for visitors. Last fall, we rode the lift at Crystal Mountain as the trees were changing. It was spectacular! Hours are limited so check their websites first. The ski areas offer fun activities for kids like zip lines, Segway tours, Indoor water parks, golf cart rentals, etc.

Some wineries still offer summer concerts since people can spread out. There aren’t many events left on community calendars, but there are a few.

Farm visits can be really fun. Red raspberry season starts soon and continues until frost. We love King Orchards in Central Lake north of Traverse City. They grow honey crisp apples on espaliered trees. They sell wonderful cherry juice and pies. Their farm is fun to drive around.
In Dearborn, consider dining at Buddys Pizza. It is a Detroit institution. Their Square pan pizza is very unique and a favorite of ours. Don’t miss the Marvel exhibit in the Henry Ford or their glass exhibit. It is amazing..

Sleeping Bear Natl Park has closed some of their attractions on Monday and Tuesday. Check websites before traveling so you know what is open or closed.

Enjoy your travels in Michigan.
I think you mean boyne mountain and highlands. We have done the chairlift at the mountain while staying there (water park guests) and zip lined at the mountain and the highlands. I love boyne mountain.

My mom says petoskey has been packed this summer. She says most places are open. Can’t wait to go up in a few weeks.

Don’t come to Northern Michigan in late November. Deer hunting (gun) is November 15 to December 1. Hunters everywhere and many attractions are shut down. Besides can’t really walk any trails because hunters everywhere lol!

If anyone comes to the sleeping bear dunes area, the Pierce Stocking scenic drive is still closed. I thought it opened for a short time but just checked and it’s closed.

instead of the dune climb, go to empire bluffs trail. It’s a steep but short hike and the views are spectacular. You can also drive to the end of county road 669, right off of M-22 for an easy place to see Lake Michigan.

Also instead of driving to Traverse City, eat at Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor, Art’s Tavern is also a good local place.

Just got back from a trip up north and it is really beautiful this year. It usually dries out a bit in August, but with all the rain, most areas are green and lush this year.

It was good to see it so busy. My favorite things were:
1. Watching the elk herd (about 40 of them) come right up to the fence at Gaylord’s Elk Park at feeding time around 5pm. There is nothing quite like being a few inches away from a huge bull elk with his antlers in full velvet. Amazing!
2. Riding the chairlift at Boyne Mountain as the sun was setting.
3. The Boyne City Bakery was impressive. Their crepes and croissants were some of the best we have had anywhere.
4. Dinner at Terry’s in Charlevoix was great. Love their wild mushroom ravioli with morel mushroom cream sauce and whitefish with butter, lemon and capers.
5. The smoked fish at John Cross fisheries in Charlevoix is very good.
6. The Lake Charlevoix and Walloon lake areas were much prettier than lakes further south around Traverse City. Traverse City was really busy, but we enjoyed our fried perch, walleye and whitefish at Scalawags.
7. Boyer Glassworks in Harbor Springs and Three Pines Studio in Cross Village make excellent stops near the infamous tunnel of trees. Bier Gallery 9 miles south of Charlevoix is another favorite gallery.

On our way up, we stopped at Crust in Fenton. It had won best bakery in Michigan on Mlive and deserves the accolades. We can’t wait to return. Try the almond croissants and the chocolate dump cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter