Mickey Waffles are BAD now!! 🙁

I but golden malted and it can sit in my cupboard for 6-12 months easy. They are buying something cheap most likely

Me too. I buy large 32oz bags from Amazon in a 3 pack and they sit on my garage shelves for months. It gets up to 95 degrees in there. The waffles still always taste great.

Dumb question: We know they at least used to use Golden Malted? I've never heard of it before. Is it usually available in stores? (My kids love Mickey waffles, and I'd like to be able to make them at home.)

Yes, it is sold at World Market, William's Sonoma, and Amazon (directly through Amazon as well as several third party sellers). The Williams Sonoma version comes in a fancier tin, but it's the same stuff.

I buy it off Amazon. Just search "Golden Malted Waffle Mix" and it's the one in the yellow bag. Disney uses the "complete" (just add water) version, but I prefer the original version that you have to add eggs, melted butter, and water to.

I received a mostly-canned update from my email (pretty quick; only a couple of business days.) I REALLY REALLY encourage all mickey waffle lovers to send an email. It just takes a moment and you won't get anything useful as a reply, but if enough people do this, they'll at least be aware that we know and will work towards fixing the problem. I know this everytime I grab my convenient refillable mug handle.

Please go here and send a quick email asking for them to please bring back the good mickey waffles!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/

Nothing much surprises me with Disney now, but this does. The waffles are such an iconic staple of Disney World and for them to change this up for cost cutting seems desperate. I think they would just be better off raising the prices on them to cover the cost of the other mix. Makes me wonder what other items they have changed up but no one has reported it yet?

I remember when they changed up the Tonga Toast. It is still not as good as it used to be, but it is OK. The new Mickey waffles sound like they are not even worth eating. It sounds as though a person who has never had a Mickey waffle before won't be able to endure them now. And the waffles are sold everywhere, but the Tonga Toast is only at the Poly.

The new Mickey waffles sound like they are not even worth eating.
I couldn't manage more than 3 bites of one, and after that attempt I don't even try. I usually can polish off the mickey waffle platter with 3 of them easily. They're laughably terrible - it's almost funny how bad they are! They should seriously just serve Eggos until they can fix it.

I just wonder if it could be a supply issue. It could be. Only time will tell. But I have a feeling if it is not and it is cost cutting, that this decision will be rescinded at some point.

I have yet to sample the reported garbage waffles, WDW has 2 months to clean-up their act for our trip. Sounds like an accountant is running the kitchen rather than a chef if this is indeed a cost-cutting measure. Funny if that is the case cause those cost-savings never seem to get passed on to the paying guests, huh? And how are people able to to secure the proper waffle mix at Amazon and WDW's purchasing department apparently has no clue how to do the same?

I'm starting to think our next trip to WDW might be our last for a very long while. WDW has been re-opened for over 2 months now and the shutdowns have been going on for 6+ months. If they can't make the necessary adjustments for something as simple as waffle mix that's just sad. I thought the "limited" menus were to cope with these issues. Maybe WDW should have nixed the Mickey Waffles rather then simply ruin them if they can't get the proper ingredients.

We used to depend on the Cruise line waffles to be better but even those weren’t as good last time.

I have yet to sample the reported garbage waffles, WDW has 2 months to clean-up their act for our trip. Sounds like an accountant is running the kitchen rather than a chef if this is indeed a cost-cutting measure. Funny if that is the case cause those cost-savings never seem to get passed on to the paying guests, huh? And how are people able to to secure the proper waffle mix at Amazon and WDW's purchasing department apparently has no clue how to do the same?

I'm starting to think our next trip to WDW might be our last for a very long while. WDW has been re-opened for over 2 months now and the shutdowns have been going on for 6+ months. If they can't make the necessary adjustments for something as simple as waffle mix that's just sad. I thought the "limited" menus were to cope with these issues. Maybe WDW should have nixed the Mickey Waffles rather then simply ruin them if they can't get the proper ingredients.
I agree we rather cruise. I'll be there Oct 25 and I'll have my email to management ready!

Nothing much surprises me with Disney now, but this does. The waffles are such an iconic staple of Disney World and for them to change this up for cost cutting seems desperate. I think they would just be better off raising the prices on them to cover the cost of the other mix. Makes me wonder what other items they have changed up but no one has reported it yet?

I remember when they changed up the Tonga Toast. It is still not as good as it used to be, but it is OK. The new Mickey waffles sound like they are not even worth eating. It sounds as though a person who has never had a Mickey waffle before won't be able to endure them now. And the waffles are sold everywhere, but the Tonga Toast is only at the Poly.

We literally weren't even able to finish ours. I say this with zero sarcasm, Eggo Mickey waffles are much better right now.

Im hoping they aren’t purposely being cheap and are just running into COVID related supply issues.

I got a bag at home, should i bring it down and give it to the restaurant we eat breakfast at? "Yes I would like the Mickey waffles, but please use this batter instead.'
cant be done they would just hand the bag back to you just like bringing in food and wanting it reheated

We literally weren't even able to finish ours. I say this with zero sarcasm, Eggo Mickey waffles are much better right now.

Upon thinking about this even further (yes, I miss them that much, what can I say), it actually seems like they're substituting something else for waffle batter. Maybe it's a donut... Or funnel cake dough or something? These are obviously totally wild guesses with no knowledge whatsoever, but they don't taste or even have the consistency of a waffle. It's definitely some other dough or batter being put in the waffle iron. It seems like chalk to me but it's definitely SOMETHING weird. :confused3

Im hoping they aren’t purposely being cheap and are just running into COVID related supply issues.
Right. If they are purposely doing this with the waffles then there is nothing that is sacred anymore. Everything will be fair game.

Wow! I never thought I'd be so happy about being required to eat the allergy-friendly version of the Mickey waffles which have NOT been bad the last few times :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter