Midnight Arrival

dwbrewster

Just Goofy
Did a search and couldn't find an answer...

We are thinking of planning a trip over spring break next year but our flight wouldn't arrive until 12:30, which has me assume we wouldn't make it to the resort until about 2. Since we know the kids won't sleep and transportation opens in about 4 hours getting a room seems like a waste. How have others managed? We were thinking of heading to the resort, checking our bag and just hanging out/let kids semi-sleep while we wait for transportation to open.

Thoughts?

We had this same scenario this past Spring Break. At first, I thought we'd get a room at MCO but then decide to book that first night at All Star Sports. Even though we got to the room at 3:30 am (delayed flight), we were all very happy to have a bed. To make things easy, I packed what we needed for that first night and next day in a carry-on.

We arrived late for a trip - "late" was 10:15. We got a room at the Hyatt at MCO for about $250 (the rate does seem to vary widely). We landed just after 10, got our checked bags off the carousel and were in our room by 11pm. It was great. We relaxed at the Hyatt the next morning and went down to magic express around 11:30.

Our kids were 9 and 6 at the time, and we had to sleep in a proper bed. Heck, not even just the kids - I need a proper bed to sleep every night. ;)

Thank you for the thoughts, while exceptions occur they are always up at 5 AM (much to my dismay) and I guess I know they will arrive asking if we can go into the park yet so I know I won't get sleep regardless. If we did this I figure the first day we would likely spend 5 hours or so at the park, go back and sleep and potentially go back with the older kids if they are up for it.

Thank you for the thoughts, while exceptions occur they are always up at 5 AM (much to my dismay) and I guess I know they will arrive asking if we can go into the park yet so I know I won't get sleep regardless. If we did this I figure the first day we would likely spend 5 hours or so at the park, go back and sleep and potentially go back with the older kids if they are up for it.
Your room will most likely not be ready until after 3, so plan on that
I have to ask, if you were firm in your belief, why did you even post the question and ask folks help?

Your room will most likely not be ready until after 3, so plan on that
I have to ask, if you were firm in your belief, why did you even post the question and ask folks help?

Knowing it won't be available until 3 is helpful.

Just to clarify I'm not firm in my belief, I am interested in knowing what others have done in similar situations. Particularly if anyone did arrive and wait it out like we are thinking of doing.

My position is just that I think it would be challenging for my kids to go back to sleep - though maybe not impossible. When we went three years ago when we just had the two we would run them down in the park and expect them to sleep in the next day and they were always up at 5 on the dot ready to run.

In my experience travel days are beyond exhausting.

We’ve arrived at the resort around 1 or 2 am more than once and we were soooooo happy to have a bed to land in.

The kids I’ve travelled with over the years (my daughter, niece and nephew) would not have fared well without having somewhere to sleep upon arrival that late at night. And if this grumpy old girl didn’t have a bed? Day one would have been a complete nightmare (and complete waste of a ticket day) if we didn’t have a room available when we arrived.

Knowing it won't be available until 3 is helpful.

Just to clarify I'm not firm in my belief, I am interested in knowing what others have done in similar situations. Particularly if anyone did arrive and wait it out like we are thinking of doing.

My position is just that I think it would be challenging for my kids to go back to sleep - though maybe not impossible. When we went three years ago when we just had the two we would run them down in the park and expect them to sleep in the next day and they were always up at 5 on the dot ready to run.

As I posted earlier, I highly recommend getting a hotel room. We had one awful overnight travel experience (not Disney). A few years ago, we were traveling to Spain. My husband decided it would be a great idea to have a very long 8-hour layover in Norway. We landed, stored our bags, caught a train to Oslo for a whirlwind 3-hour tour. It was great to see a bit of Oslo, but it screwed us up for our first two days of our vacation. We were awake for close to 48 hours and miserable. I vowed never again to willingly allow that to happen.

I would get a room. Mostly because your room may not be ready until 3:00pm. Do you think you all could last that long without a real rest after travel? Every kid is different, but when I was a kid I would have crashed and my kids are both toddlers and I know it would not go well for us.

Even if the kids don’t actually sleep, even if they crawl into bed and watch shows or something I think a rest would be good and refreshing. Could take a shower/bath, etc. Just my opinion but you know your kids and situation best!

I would get a room. Mostly because your room may not be ready until 3:00pm. Do you think you all could last that long without a real rest after travel? Every kid is different, but when I was a kid I would have crashed and my kids are both toddlers and I know it would not go well for us.

Even if the kids don’t actually sleep, even if they crawl into bed and watch shows or something I think a rest would be good and refreshing. Could take a shower/bath, etc. Just my opinion but you know your kids and situation best!

I think your point is well taken. While I don't think they will fall back asleep with or without a room by noon they likely will be in the "you're the worst parents ever stage" and want to crash - but a room may not be available to crash in for a couple of hours to recoup.

The key is convincing my wife now.

Some additional information may help.

How long of a flight is it?
Are you changing time zones?
What time will the kids (and you) be waking up the morning of travel day?

You say "back to sleep". Where will the kids be sleeping to start with? On the plane?

My first instinct is get the room. It would have to be some very extenuating circumstances for us not to.

I would book a room near the airport and crash. There's no way I would hang around the resort with children and an infant for four hours waiting for transportation to start to the parks - JMO.

Some additional information may help.

How long of a flight is it?
Are you changing time zones?
What time will the kids (and you) be waking up the morning of travel day?

You say "back to sleep". Where will the kids be sleeping to start with? On the plane?

My first instinct is get the room. It would have to be some very extenuating circumstances for us not to.

Good questions it is only a 2 hour flight from DC to Orlando so no time zone change. If the current trend holds I'll have a kid waking us up at 5, but we would probably try and force a mid-day nap.

As far as the night of, we'd be arriving at the airport probably about 8 (bed time is 7) so they'd have a lot of interrupted sleep over the course of the night. I'm leaning towards arguing in favor of the room so that we have the option to sleep if necessary and if not, we at least can come back and pass out after a couple of hours and head back after we are re-charged.

If we did this I figure the first day we would likely spend 5 hours or so at the park, go back and sleep and potentially go back with the older kids if they are up for it.

Gonna be another one to remind you that no one should ever expect a Disney hotel room to be ready before official checkin, which is 3 for mom Dvc resorts.

When you get that room for the night before, it’s waitinf for you when you arrive, you can take your bags right up. You can take the time to unpack to whatever extent the room allows, to get settled. To get showered.

Even if my some chance the kids don’t sleep, they can rest. You can rest. And you them have that room.

Good questions it is only a 2 hour flight from DC to Orlando so no time zone change. If the current trend holds I'll have a kid waking us up at 5, but we would probably try and force a mid-day nap.

As far as the night of, we'd be arriving at the airport probably about 8 (bed time is 7) so they'd have a lot of interrupted sleep over the course of the night. I'm leaning towards arguing in favor of the room so that we have the option to sleep if necessary and if not, we at least can come back and pass out after a couple of hours and head back after we are re-charged.

Be sure to watch to see if your flight time changes. If it changes by about an hour you can call and switch it to a better flight time for no fee (assuming your airline has other flight times). Since your kids have that early bedtime, maybe you can change it to one earlier in the evening or even the afternoon if possible. Gives you a better value for the room. :)

Or even switch it to the next morning. I’d they are up that early anyway, take advantage of it for early flights!

Be sure to watch to see if your flight time changes. If it changes by about an hour you can call and switch it to a better flight time for no fee (assuming your airline has other flight times). Since your kids have that early bedtime, maybe you can change it to one earlier in the evening or even the afternoon if possible. Gives you a better value for the room. :)

Or even switch it to the next morning. I’d they are up that early anyway, take advantage of it for early flights!

Not sure if you would know, and slightly off topic but does this apply even if I am booking with my miles? Airline is United if that helps.

Not sure if you would know, and slightly off topic but does this apply even if I am booking with my miles? Airline is United if that helps.

It should....the flights might have to be available to be booked with miles. Our flights were booked with miles and with an itinerary change of more than an hour we were able to modify the legs.

Are there any flights that leave much earlier? How much would those cost to switch to that? Your plan sounds miserable for a 2 hour flight. I understand it if it's a ton of money saved, but our most recent experience with a baby and a red eye flight was the worst. The flight was fine, but it ruined the next day. We'll now vacation less and pay more if it means flying at a reasonable hour.

Are there any flights that leave much earlier? How much would those cost to switch to that? Your plan sounds miserable for a 2 hour flight. I understand it if it's a ton of money saved, but our most recent experience with a baby and a red eye flight was the worst. The flight was fine, but it ruined the next day. We'll now vacation less and pay more if it means flying at a reasonable hour.
The miles difference is pretty significant so it's really the only option available unfortunately. Return flight is even worse...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter