Minnie Vans "Uber" like transport begins soon!

Well, they can try :).

The problem is that the "flat rate" is higher than many cab rides. Example: WL to GF is about $10, with 20% tip. WL to Contemporary? About the same.

The problem.... CABS operate on a combo of time and mileage. "Minnie Vans" are flat fee. So- optimization approach:

1) Short haul, low road delays - CAB.
2) Long haul - Minnie Van.
3) Short haul, high traffic, Road Delays - Minnie Van.

We WILL be using these.... but likely only for our "long haul" trips from WL to the Dolphin/Swan - or when there is a road disruption. A CAB ride to or from most areas is about $10 - $27, with 20% tip. As with all services - we balance SAFETY, and PRICE. The "Safety" part is why we personally chose to avoid UBER. Just our choice.

So how to put this..... a Minnie Van MAY be worth something, but only in particular situations. WDW would be WISE to alter the cost, based on route, simply to be competitive.
"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

Your reasoning is very good, and in a normal situation I would agree. But it's Disney, where food, lodging, and everything else is priced without regard to reality. It's a Minnie Van with a striking polka dot color scheme. They've already got it branded so people will want to pay to ride it as an event in itself. And it's got the unspoken Disney safety and magic built into the brand as well. I think $20 is a bargain.

We are staying at the BWI and used the service 4 times already. You need to get a code from the hotel. We had to go to someone at the BWI and have them give us a code. They only want people staying at the 4 hotels to use the app. Then the Minnie Service will appear - it didn't appear for us until the BWI gave us a code.

It is wonderful. We used it to and from MK several times already - no more waiting on the long MK bus lines when leaving at the end of the night. One night we used it from HS - because the boat line was so long and it was late and hot - we could have walked but we were all so tired and the van was there within 3 minutes - with the AC on high. It was wonderful. The drivers are all so nice. We will continue to use them the rest of the trip - it is that enjoyable. The best part of using it at MK is that it drops you off at MK - not TTC. YAY! No other cabs can drop you off at MK.

Also, we are a family of 6 and love that we all fit. They are 7 seaters. Also, they said they had car seats in the trunk if we needed them.

Ahhh...... so people staying at other resorts hoping to use these for late night return home trips from places like, say, Jellyrolls, probably won't be able to use it......who would have thought that?..............

There's a report on the Transportation board that AKL was added today.

I posted about this in that board, we used the service this morning and I can confirm it works like a charm!

We've asked our driver where this service operates:
  • AKL, starting 8/21
  • Boardwalk
  • YC/BC
  • WL
Edited: added WL that I forgot

Last edited:

I posted about this in that board, we used the service this morning and I can confirm it works like a charm!

We've asked our driver where this service operates:
  • AKL, starting today
  • Boardwalk
  • YC/BC
So they stopped WL? WL was added last week.

So they stopped WL? WL was added last week.

He didn't tell me any resorts had been stopped, but that they were actually rolling on the service to more and more resorts. Most probably he told me about it but I forgot.
I'm editing my previous post for clarity, thanks!

I've never taken an Uber onsite, but I've seen that every resort parking lot is gated. Do they let Uber drivers in to pick up or drop off guests at the resort "front door?"

If so, they could try to put a stop to that - which gives an advantage to the Disney service.
I stay off property. I use uber to get to and from the resorts to eat and drink. No uber and this would need to stop. If this stops a large reason to vacation in Disney stops.

Also we take uber when we eat out so we so we are not drinking and driving. It would be a very bad move on so many levels for Disney to ban uber or make it too difficult to use.

He didn't tell me any resorts had been stopped, but that they were actually rolling on the service to more and more resorts. Most probably he told me about it but I forgot.
I'm editing my previous post for clarity, thanks!

Just asked DW this morning, she confirmed our driver told us about service at the WL. Tnanks @rteetz!

7 including the driver, so 6 Guests, and yes, 2 car seats. The accessible vans fit 1 Guest riding in wheelchair or ecv, + 3 Guests in seats.

Thank you! So we would need 2, if we are 6 adults and 1 child in a car seat :(

Thank you! So we would need 2, if we are 6 adults and 1 child in a car seat :(
Yes. Disney is using the Lyft app to handle MV requests. For regular Lyft, you need 2 separate accounts on separate phones to request 2 vehicles; I don't know whether that's also true for MV's.

We saw many Minnie Vans during our stay at the Poly. They were not available yet for us there, but seemed like many people were using them to get to dining reservations.

It's a great idea. I like that it is cast members who are driving.

I have a question, we are not staying at the Poly, but have a ADR for Ohana. We are staying at PoP, our plan for the day is to take bus to Epcot and spend part of the day there then take the monorail to Magic Kingdom and spend some time there and watch the fireworks (8pm for date we are there), then go to poly for 9:45 ADR, can we request a Minnivan to go from Poly back to Pop?

I have a question, we are not staying at the Poly, but have a ADR for Ohana. We are staying at PoP, our plan for the day is to take bus to Epcot and spend part of the day there then take the monorail to Magic Kingdom and spend some time there and watch the fireworks (8pm for date we are there), then go to poly for 9:45 ADR, can we request a Minnivan to go from Poly back to Pop?
It won't be automatic if you aren't a guest of the resort with the service but you can ask at the Bell Service counter. There are mixed results of them adding the service for guests who are visiting the resort but not guests staying at the resort. But by all means, ask. Worse that happens, they say no. Best, they say yes.

Has the Contemporary Resort been added yet?

I believe this is the current list....

Locations
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Beach Club
Boardwalk Inn
Boulder Ridge Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Copper Creek Villas and Cabins at Wilderness Lodge
Grand Floridian
Polynesian Village Resort
Wilderness Lodge
Yacht Club

We are staying at a Kidani and used the Minnie Vans twice yesterday. Our group is 4 adults and a 2yo. The drivers were incredible cast members, as could be expected. They each take 5hrs of training on how to properly install the car seats. The car seats are Graco brand and quite substantial. Much nicer than the seats in the Uber family we took the other day.

All in all, I get that it’s more expensive than an Uber X but if you plan on using using anything larger than an X, this immediately becomes a value. Also, while I use Uber somewhat often, the drivers can be hit or miss. The upcharge of the Minnie Van truly offers that Disney Difference here.

Also, my driver last night told us that a rapid expansion of services is coming very soon. He said as soon as the 2018 Traverses hit the market in Central Florida that they will double if not triple the fleet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter