MK Train issue we had with EVC - hope to help others

“Giving suggestions on what could have been done differently will help others who may end up in a similar situation.”

But it’s not being phrased as “What else can I do if this happens to me;” it's being phrased as “Why didn't you do something else when it happened to you?” The former *would have been* a friendly, constructive discussion, but that's not what actually happened.

"Why would it take an hour to walk that distance, then ride the scooter back to get your mom? Fantasyland and Frontierland stations are about a half of a mile from each other."

It seemed to me from the context that the OP also has mobility/health issues, although not as severe as their mother’s. Also, pushing an adult through crowds, over terrain that is surprisingly hilly, takes longer than walking unencumbered.

Pointing out the inconsistencies - and asking what was done as the OP started out with very vague info. It was all 'they didn't help me at all' but no detail on what was asked. So I pointed some things out. You are adding your own tone.

Thank you for the warning. As someone who must travel alone, my trips are already anxiety filled. Getting stranded someplace could really set me off. (I am already too afraid of a break down to use my own ECV and have to budget for the cost of a rental just so that if something happened I could get repairs. )

Last edited:
Thank you. Do they come to the parks? Just wondering what would happen if I broke down there alone, no car? ( My ECV is pretty old.)

Thank you. Do they come to the parks? Just wondering what would happen if I broke down there alone, no car? ( My ECV is pretty old.)

I'm pretty sure they would come to the parks - but why not just give them a call, and ask them in person before your trip? That way, you have the answer, and the accompanying peace of mind. Plus, it gives you a chance to put their contact info into your smartphone - if you do happen to need them, you will be prepared! :)

So sorry, you should not have had to track down a wheelchair on your own, for sure a CM should have brought one to you. Preferably they would have waited with your mother resting in the wheelchair while you retrieved the ECV in case the storm started. I agree with you, there needs to be a plan on how to get folks back their ECV or wheelchair if the train is removed from service. Good to know!

I've often wondered what happens in this situation when they have to stop the train and you left your ECV at another station. I've always tried to ride the train when the weather looks really good (and I even checked my weather app to make sure no storms were anywhere close) because I had a feeling I'd be out of luck even if a storm got close. I usually have family with me I could call to retrieve the ECV but it's definitely a good thing to be aware of. Sorry that happened OP.

I understand as we have had this happen as well. In our case, it was a mechanical problem. We had to get off at Main St instead of back in Frontierland. Thankfully, my husband is quite physically fit and he was able to jog back and get it for me as I made my way slowly in that direction. It would have been a problem had I been there with just my kids as I was the following week. Needless to say, we didn't ride the train when he wasn't with us after that.

My dad and I ride the train all the time. He uses an ECV; I use a power wheelchair. I'm reading this thread wondering what alternate reality this reported incident took place in because it doesn't even remotely match the experiences my dd ad I have had for the past dozen years.

The WDW Railroad allows 2 wheelchair passengers per trip. They load just behind the engine. There is a companion seat next to each spot. One rides facing forward, the other backward. ECV users must disembark to ride. There are transfer wheelchairs at each station for that reason.

I'm not questioning if the incident happened to the OP. I'm just surprised it did. In all the years we've ridden the trains, we've never encountered problems like this. Never been stopped due to threat of a storm. Never had a rude conductor or engineer leave us high and dry. Yes my dad must ride round trip because he has to leave his ECV at the station. That's just a little annoying to us but we understand. Those trains aren't wide enough to handle an ECV's large turning radius. (Incidentally Busch Gardens williamsburg has a train that is wide enough and long enough to hold scooters. Wheelies ride in the caboose car which is designed to be big enough to carry a couple wheelchairs and ECVs.)

I wouldn't be so hesitant to go on the railroad next time you're in Disney. This kind of thing is not common. Just politely explain your needs to the conductor/engineer. Most of the time they will happily help. The biggest thing that drives them nuts are parents who refuse to fold up their strollers or let junior climb all over the seats.

I think it's fairly absurd to say that if you're traveling with someone who can't be left alone then you should have another person with you...because what if? What do single parents do with their young children? What about people who don't have another family member to come along? They just shouldn't travel? That's honestly ridiculous.

Emergencies do happen but they are rare and they could happen anywhere, not just at Disney. People can't be expect to always travel with an extra person just because of potential, but unlikely, what if scenarios.

Also, OP said no one helped so I think we can safely assume they asked for help. Frankly, Disney should be offering solutions when someone presents a situation, not expecting the customer to guess at numerous possible solutions until one of them hits a target.

I really am not worried about this. I travel alone. I literally cannot walk more than 4-5 steps without at least a rollator. So if I had to get off the train without my ECV I wouldn't be able to leave the area. My choices would be to sit down on the ground or to fall to the ground.

I feel certain that Disney would not leave me stranded sitting on the floor of the train station all night.

I really am not worried about this. I travel alone. I literally cannot walk more than 4-5 steps without at least a rollator. So if I had to get off the train without my ECV I wouldn't be able to leave the area. My choices would be to sit down on the ground or to fall to the ground.

I feel certain that Disney would not leave me stranded sitting on the floor of the train station all night.
most likely wont leave you there but I would guess it would be EMTs that end up helping you to First Aid then security bringing you your ECV as CMs are not allowed to help guests medically. if you say no to the EMT not sure what CM could do to help you and I expect they would not be allowed to leave where they are to go get your ECV

most likely wont leave you there but I would guess it would be EMTs that end up helping you to First Aid then security bringing you your ECV as CMs are not allowed to help guests medically. if you say no to the EMT not sure what CM could do to help you and I expect they would not be allowed to leave where they are to go get your ECV
The EMT to First Aid route sounds like it would work. I can't imagine why I would say no to EMT. I'd prefer a trained EMT transporting me than some random CM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!