MNSSH solo- fancy dress?

Leagill

Mouseketeer
Ill be going to MNSSH again this September solo and I just wondered for those of you who have also gone solo did you do fancy dress? And if so your thoughts on that? Did you enjoy it? I was just wondering if it's still just as fun alone in costume or whether it's better when you have your mates with you! Apologies if this is a question that has been asked before on here! Thank you :)

Ill be going to MNSSH again this September solo and I just wondered for those of you who have also gone solo did you do fancy dress? And if so your thoughts on that? Did you enjoy it? I was just wondering if it's still just as fun alone in costume or whether it's better when you have your mates with you! Apologies if this is a question that has been asked before on here! Thank you :)

You should absolutely wear a costume (but only if you like that sort of thing)! Wearing costumes to MNSSHP is a great way to increase interaction with CMs and other guests, and it is a big part of the fun, IMO. If you make your own costume, you will certainly get a lot of compliments and questions.

I've worn costumes a few times to the Halloween party when I've been solo. The best one was when I was dressed as Minnie Mouse - had great interactions with CMs, guests and characters (Mickey proposed!).

Just make sure your costume is suitable for the weather (you've been in September before so you know how hot it is) and children. If you feel a bit self conscious about dressing up solo then Hot Topic do some great Disney themed dresses that are a bit more discrete or just go with a Halloween T-shirt.

I've worn costumes a few times to the Halloween party when I've been solo. The best one was when I was dressed as Minnie Mouse - had great interactions with CMs, guests and characters (Mickey proposed!).

Just make sure your costume is suitable for the weather (you've been in September before so you know how hot it is) and children. If you feel a bit self conscious about dressing up solo then Hot Topic do some great Disney themed dresses that are a bit more discrete or just go with a Halloween T-shirt.

That sounds amazing, and definitely a lot of fun! What other costumes have you worn? I was thinking about going as Pocahontas, or I'm actually quite liking the mermaid costumes which consist of mermaid leggings with a flare at bottom and purple top! Or perhaps the queen of hearts would be fun too (gosh so much choice these days!) Would these be considered ok for children? The Hot Topic dresses are lovely, thank you for the recommendation on those!

That sounds amazing, and definitely a lot of fun! What other costumes have you worn? I was thinking about going as Pocahontas, or I'm actually quite liking the mermaid costumes which consist of mermaid leggings with a flare at bottom and purple top! Or perhaps the queen of hearts would be fun too (gosh so much choice these days!) Would these be considered ok for children? The Hot Topic dresses are lovely, thank you for the recommendation on those!

I've also worn an R2D2 dress and a Tardis dress from Hot Topic. Think year I'm thinking a different Minnie outfit and Belle.
I think it's just not too much skin so leggings/shorts under a little dress. I've seen people in the "sexy" costumes with stockings and heels which for me aren't appropriate in the Magic Kingdom setting (for an adult only halloween party go for it). Again that is completely my thing so each to their own

Definetly dress up. If you want ideas, look up Disneybounding or search Leslie Kay (I think I have that right- the originator?), or even look for pictures of the dresses from The Dress Shop on Cherry Tree Lane ( one of the newer boutique shops in Disney Springs, they're selling dresses and accessories for bounding) and Dapper Days.
Just remember the heat! We're running a consistent 8-10 degrees above last year's weather for the past three months, and they're not expecting it to change any time soon.

I was there in May this year and yes it was ridiculously hot compared to previous May weeks that I have been! I was hoping (and still am) that the heat will be a bit more bearable for September! Thank you both for all your suggestions! I will definitely dress up then (and I wouldn't wear any short costumes or heels for magic kingdom anyway) and see if I can find something fun but not too hot to go around in! At least I have 10 weeks to start planning lol! I love Halloween! Thank you again! :)

The first time I went in September it was very hot but bearable. Unfortunately the 2nd time going in September was awful. We had 33-38 degrees
weather with 80%+ humidity :crazy2:

Last year I went end of November/beginning of December and it was beautiful. 27 degrees and you could only just about feel the humidity and at night I got to put on a light jumper with my shorts and flip flops. Honestly, it was perfect and may well have ruined me for trips going forward :rotfl2:I'd always go at that time of year if I didn't love the Halloween party so darn much!

Hoping this years trip at the end of October will be a happy medium.

Bounding is so fun and a great way to give a nod to your favourite character. I am bounding as the Blue Fairy for MNSSHP and am just doing a simple lightweight blue a-line dress (knee length) with sparkly silver accessories and wings. I think it will be cool and comfortable. It's also my first MNSSHP and I am so looking forward to it!

Bounding is so fun and a great way to give a nod to your favourite character. I am bounding as the Blue Fairy for MNSSHP and am just doing a simple lightweight blue a-line dress (knee length) with sparkly silver accessories and wings. I think it will be cool and comfortable. It's also my first MNSSHP and I am so looking forward to it!

I will definitely look into bounding! Might be a little bit cheaper too than buying a costume, especially as I am hoping to do the party twice (I found some of the character lines quite long last year so I did it twice to get the most out of it, hence why I'll do that again this time) Your outfit sounds so pretty!!

I've done it and it's a good conversation starter. I did a very elaborate marble bust from the Haunted Mansion. It had full face paint and everything. I DO NOT recommend that! It was so, so hot! Still, you can come up with a costume that is a bit cooler. It's definitely fun to do.

Both times I've gone to the party (once solo, once with another adult) I dressed up. So many people do that I'd probably feel left out if I didn't wear some sort of costume. This last time we went as pirates (mostly because it's pretty easy to put a pirate costume together from random odds and ends, and you can make it relatively lightweight). When I went solo I made an enormous snake puppet -- my entire arm went into its front half and the rest wrapped around my shoulders. I got tons of compliments on that and some great character interactions, but if I were going to do it again I'd wear something really lightweight for the clothes themselves, because it was like wearing a scarf and a full-length sleeve. It's easier to do than it sounds, too; I just pinned the fabric inside-out around my hand and arm in different configurations until I got the fit I wanted, put a little rolled up fabric in the head to pad it to the right shape, and from there I more or less just had to sew on eyes and tongue and sew the rest of it into a tube.

Other big thing to think about is whether you can get in/out of rides in the costume, assuming you want to ride anything that night (it's prime time, really; the lines are short and you can get ride photos in costume).

When are you going in Sept.? I will be going to MNSSHP on the 26th.

I never wear fancy dresses, MNSSHP or not :)
This year going solo to MNSSHP in September too and was thinking about doing a Disneybound like some suggested already

Yes, have done everything from simple costume- basic shorts/ tshirt with name across back and mouse ears= Mouseketeer to full on wig/ make up to create Madame Mim, Ursula and Megara. Always had a blast- the more recognizable and elaborate costumes get more attention but cast members go out of their way to acknowledge any effort made. I recommend trying something and decide on your comfort level for attention before going all out. Have fun with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!