Mobile Phone use in USA

lffam

Disney/Marvel Nutty Dad
Hi all

We took our son on his first Disney experience in 2010 when he was 7, then again in 2013, 2015 & 2017! Now he is going on his first solo Disney adventure !

Each time we went before, I bought AT&T sim cards and loaded them up and used this as our mobile service while overseas. as its a been a while since we have been, I was just wondering what people do these days in order to have mobile use while on holidays? Telstra has a option where you can add OS roaming for $5 a day, but not sure if that's worth it or how it works.

If anyone has some advice on this, I'd really appreciate it.
thanks.

Last edited:
Hi we normally order a sim card online, I used Sims direct on our last trip and SimCorner is also good.
I personally don't use roaming because it's not great value when travelling for over 2 weeks, and find it easiest to have a sim card delivered before going away :)

Hi we normally order a sim card online, I used Sims direct on our last trip and SimCorner is also good.
I personally don't use roaming because it's not great value when travelling for over 2 weeks, and find it easiest to have a sim card delivered before going away :)
thanks for your reply. this is what we have done before also. This time DS is only going for about 8 days so wasnt sure if it was worth it.

Its been a while since I've been to the US but we recently headed to the UK and got an e-SIM. For the convenience of not having to wait for a SIM to arrive or to go to a physical store, the eSIM worked out great.

You have to have an e-SIM compatible handset so it depends on his phone model.

NOTE: We got the eSIM because it was meant to allow us to keep the Australian service going as well. We wanted the Aussie service active so that we could do 2-FA on purchases. Sadly, it didn't work the way we expected it to; and we couldn't access our SMS messages.
Just as well we had a variety of payment options for our trip.

We buy a SIM on Amazon that lasts a bit longer than the days we plan to go. Free local calls and unlimited data. Found it to be a lifesaver when we got stuck in FL due to Hurricane Ian and spent hours on calls to the airlines.

Just don't forget to activate it online BEFORE you leave, like we did on our last trip to Aulani this month lol Fortunately it activated within a few hours and not 2 days like the packaging says. We just pop it in the phone as soon as we are in the air to the US so it's ready to go when we land. Pack a phone pin to open the SIM card slot in your hand luggage in case they don't provide one, but most packs include one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter