Mom Ticketed For Neglect After Calling Police To Help Free Toddler Locked in Car

A kid isn't going to die in 15 minutes. That is a far over reaction by the police department. Yes this is a serious thing and accidently (and even purposefully) locking a child in a car can lead to their death but if a parent calls 911 and states we've tried getting the door open ourselves but please help we can't why should the be charged with neglect? If anything that is as far away from neglect as possible.

A child can, in fact, die if left in a hot car for 15 minutes. Please see link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92803&page=1

I missed that. I was picturing them being stuck on a road somewhere remote.

The article in the OP states they were at home and tried to get in with a screwdriver and coat hanger. They could have used the screwdriver to break the window.

A child can, in fact, die if left in a hot car for 15 minutes. Please see link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92803&page=1

The article in the OP states they were at home and tried to get in with a screwdriver and coat hanger. They could have used the screwdriver to break the window.

Of course it depends on outside temperature. There was almost a 10 degree difference between the case you linked. In the OP it was 93. I'm all for remembering to keep children safe and know the dangerous of heat for everyone of any age but 93 vs 108 is a major difference in the amount of time it will take.

No one is denying leaving kids locked in a hot car is dangerous. What's at issue is whether THIS case, based on the limited information we have, is an issue of negligence. Not directly related, but many years ago, DW was getting something out of the oven. She opened the oven door, got the item, and turned to put it on the counter. Younger DD (about two at the time) toddled up, tripped on her own two feet and fell with her forearms falling on the (still hot) oven door burning them. Do you think DW should have gotten a ticket for neglect? Unfortunately accidents happen. Sometimes those accidents cause injuries to people. That doesn't mean it was a case of neglect.

Go back and read what you quoted. No one is denying people have accidentally left their kids in the car, but how often has someone INTENTIONALLY locked their kids in the car in a public location, then tried to rescue them?

Accidents happen. I get that. It's what you do after the accident happens. I'm sure you and your wife immediately did what was necessary to take care of your daughter's injury.

I believe the ticket was given not because the child was accidentally locked in the car but because it took too long to remedy the situation. You had adults that should have broken the window once they realize they couldn't get the child out of the car after a couple of minutes. They did everything but that.

A window can easily be replaced.

Breaking a car window can be difficult...I'm reminded of the youtube video of the reporter who was trying to do his stand-up at a junkyard showing him breaking a window open with a hammer. After many many takes/attempts, he still couldn't smash it in with the hammer.

On a related note, I was at Walmart this morning and when I left the store, I noticed the pickup truck beside me (which was there when I parked) was sitting with the windows rolled up and a little dog locked inside. I called the police. It was already 80 degrees at 11am. The inside of MY car was hot as heck and I was only inside for 20 minutes..

Breaking a car window can be difficult...I'm reminded of the youtube video of the reporter who was trying to do his stand-up at a junkyard showing him breaking a window open with a hammer. After many many takes/attempts, he still couldn't smash it in with the hammer.
The article said they had a screwdriver. If you place the screwdriver between the window and door panel and pry out, the window will shatter.

I guess there are some parents that would lock their kids in a car.

Yeah, I remember as soon as I heard this story I had my doubts about it. And I'm one who thinks it wouldn't take much to distract me enough from my routine to forget a child in the backseat. But that story? It didn't sound right from the beginning. Very sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter