Monorail ever get stuck on track from mechanical failure

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Hello: I know this sounds like a silly question, but does the monorail ever stall for a long time and a person can be stuck out on the track away from the hotel loading area. I know it periodically gets stopped for a couple of minutes, but anybody ever been stopped for a long time?

Deb.

It happened at Disneyland last week and they got people off with a ladder. I don't know how long it would have to be stuck before they did that.

On one of our trips, the week before we were there we heard that one of the monorails (I think it was monorail black) was struck by lightning. I think that was about two years ago.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

While we were there in December we got stuck for @ 30 minutes. It seemed to be getting stuck a lot during this trip. We had friends there during this same time period who also got stuck for a lenghthy amount of time.

Okay folks, do you think that the airconditioning would go off,with an electrical failure and this is just a what if scene, but you could be stuck in the monorail coach in the hot sun, and the interior heat up, cause I don't think the windows open.

We were stuck for about 20 minutes 6 years ago, we hopped in the front with the driver and the door would not shut, so he had to wait for a mechanic, and it was about 20 min. But the airconditioning was on, so it was okay.

I guess they would have to get you out fast, cause it would be like in a car heating up. Just wondering, I must have too much time on my hands to think this up, actually my friend mentioned this to me when they were there, that the mono rail had to stop, just for a few minutes, and she was getting pannicky as she is prone to panic attacks.

Deb.

In some areas the WDW monorail train is quite high above ground, so the best way to deal with a stalled train is to push it with another train.

How they would handle overheating if the AC (or the power) failed I don't know. The only way would be to open the doors and hopefully no one would be standing too close to the edge.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

It's rarely needed, but there is a monorail "tug" backstage that can be brought out to push a train into the nearest station.

The monorail did lose power on the morning of 2/8. We were not on it but it was stopped for over an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter