Moonlight Magic eligibility

to be tink

Mouseketeer
So I have "real" DVC points at Poly and I have resale points at Boardwalk. I am excited to try to attend the DVC Moonlight Magic at Hollywood Studios in September. When I first heard about it I immediately booked a stay at Boardwalk since it is closest to HS. Now with all the talk about member benefits for points bought through Disney, I'm wondering if I won't be eligible to go to Moonlight Magic since I am using resale points for the room. Of course, looking today there isn't any availability at Poly for those dates. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My head is spinning trying to figure all this out. I thought once I got my real points all would be easy but alas not so....

You should be good to go regardless of resort. Of course the registration site tends to get a little wonky, in which case it may take a phone call to MS, but you should be eligible.

You are eligible because you have qualified (your direct) points. The booking site may not recognize you as eligible which could result in you needing to call DVC to get registered.

You can attend since you have a qualified contract even though you didn't use them for this reservation.

:earsboy: Bill

You should be able to book MM even if you are staying on your resale points, because you have direct points linked to your account.

If you did not have direct points, and your resale points were post-4/2016, you wouldn't be eligible for MM.

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease! I love Disney but boy they sure do make things confusing!

I used my resale points to book a room for the April AK MM, even though I am a direct buyer and qualified for the event, the system did not recognize the reservation and I had to call in, but MS was able to get me booked for the event with no issues.

We have both direct and resale points, and had to call because our reservation for the April AK Moonlight Event was booked with resale points. But after the initial morning rush on the first day of the booking window, it only took a 5 minute phone call to get the tickets.

So I have "real" DVC points at Poly and I have resale points at Boardwalk. I am excited to try to attend the DVC Moonlight Magic at Hollywood Studios in September. When I first heard about it I immediately booked a stay at Boardwalk since it is closest to HS. Now with all the talk about member benefits for points bought through Disney, I'm wondering if I won't be eligible to go to Moonlight Magic since I am using resale points for the room. Of course, looking today there isn't any availability at Poly for those dates. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My head is spinning trying to figure all this out. I thought once I got my real points all would be easy but alas not so....

They are allowing qualified owners to book these events during the priority period even if they are staying on a cash reservation onsite. And even if not saying onsite at all a week or two after the onsite bookings.

I have never heard of DVC tracking whether the points being used were direct or resale points. Isn't that why there are white and blue membership cards?

I have never heard of DVC tracking whether the points being used were direct or resale points. Isn't that why there are white and blue membership cards?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the impression that I couldn't use resale points to book at DVC resorts at Disneyland. If that is the case, they must have a way to tell the difference between the points.

MS knows which of your points were purchased directly and which were purchased via resale. MS also knows when your resale points were purchased - this is important because the date of purchase determines if those points can be used to book certain options in the various "collections" or to take advantage of Membership Extras.

Members with "qualified" points receive a blue Membership card. Members with only resale points purchased after 4/4/2016 do not receive a physical card - their digital card is white.

Some post 6/2016 resale owners have received blue cards in error, so it doesn’t seem to be a high priority for DVC to monitor though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I was under the impression that I couldn't use resale points to book at DVC resorts at Disneyland. If that is the case, they must have a way to tell the difference between the points.

Resale buyers may still use their points at any DVC resorts. At DL that is VGC which is attached to the Grand Californian and small - 23 studios, 23 1BR's, 23 2BR's and 2 GV's. What new resale buyers (post 2011 change) can't do is exchange out of DVC into the Disney collection - ie the hotel side at DL. Or WDW hotels for that matter. So unqualified resale points can't be used to exchange into Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier or Grand Californian Hotel.

Some post 6/2016 resale owners have received blue cards in error, so it doesn’t seem to be a high priority for DVC to monitor though.

I've been getting the impression that their status has been changing online even if they did accidently get a blue card. More an IT mix up or someone not getting a check box correct but there's no real way to get the cards back.

Can you tell me if this worked. I have points as direct and resale and booked my resale resort for July wondering if I should change it with my direct points but may not be able to book same room as they are already booked up.

I had a cash reservation at BLT but was able to book for the Studios DVC event, and I was on cash at All Star Movies and was able to book a MK one. (CLEARLY we do not have enough points! LOL). I now have 2 contracts, one direct, one resale, different use years, but it did recognize us as qualified for the Studios event. (MK was before we bought the resale one).

Resale buyers may still use their points at any DVC resorts. At DL that is VGC which is attached to the Grand Californian and small - 23 studios, 23 1BR's, 23 2BR's and 2 GV's. What new resale buyers (post 2011 change) can't do is exchange out of DVC into the Disney collection - ie the hotel side at DL. Or WDW hotels for that matter. So unqualified resale points can't be used to exchange into Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier or Grand Californian Hotel.

I've been getting the impression that their status has been changing online even if they did accidently get a blue card. More an IT mix up or someone not getting a check box correct but there's no real way to get the cards back.
I got a blue card. And a white one online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter