More cost effective: Hotel that includes Express Pass or Cheaper Universal Hotel with Express Pass Add on for 4?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
First time back to Universal since the 1990's, so I'm completely clueless.

The unlimited Express Pass looks like a must have for my family of 4.

Is it more cost effective to stay at a hotel that includes it or choose a cheaper on site hotel and pay extra to add it on?

Thanks

We found it more cost effective to stay at Hard Rock, but we were there during a very busy time and the EP was invaluable.

In 2017 we stayed at Cabana Bay and the crowds were so low that EP would have been a waste. So it really depends on your time of year.

We found it more cost effective to stay at Hard Rock, but we were there during a very busy time and the EP was invaluable.

In 2017 we stayed at Cabana Bay and the crowds were so low that EP would have been a waste. So it really depends on your time of year.

Thanks! We would either go around January or possibly summer. My only frame of reference for crowds is WDW, so I'm not sure what crowds look like at Universal. I assumed Harry Potter area was mega lines all year round?

Universal can get busy certain times of the year, but not always. EP is a good way to make the lines disappear in all but the most crowded days.

There are some tricks to saving money:
1. Look for an APH rate for the onsite hotels. Can save 30% off the regular price just by having one Annual Pass. The don't always come out far in advance, so keep checking.
2. One night at a deluxe hotel gives you EPs for 2 days for up to 5 guests. Can save a ton of money that way. So even if you stay elsewhere, keep this option in mind.
3. Consider annual passes instead of per-day tickets. $305 for the Seasonal Pass costs only a little more than a 2-day park-to-park ticket, and gives you year round access (minus blockout dates).
4. For a long trip (or if you can make a second trip within 12 months on an annual pass), consider upgrading one to a Preferred Pass. It has some good savings at the nearby stores and restaurants. We definitely saved the $40 upgrade over the Power Pass (needed that to get in for Thanksgiving and Mardi Gras blockout dates) on our first trip, so we'll come out ahead on our second trip for sure.

Universal can get busy certain times of the year, but not always. EP is a good way to make the lines disappear in all but the most crowded days.

1. Look for an APH rate for the onsite hotels. Can save 30% off the regular price just by having one Annual Pass. The don't always come out far in advance, so keep checking.
2. One night at a deluxe hotel gives you EPs for 2 days for up to 5 guests. Can save a ton of money that way. So even if you stay elsewhere, keep this option in mind.
3. Consider annual passes instead of per-day tickets. $305 for the Seasonal Pass costs only a little more than a 2-day park-to-park ticket, and gives you year round access (minus blockout dates).
4. For a long trip (or if you can make a second trip within 12 months on an annual pass), consider upgrading one to a Preferred Pass. It has some good savings at the nearby stores and restaurants. We definitely saved the $40 upgrade over the Power Pass (needed that to get in for Thanksgiving and Mardi Gras blockout dates) on our first trip, so we'll come out ahead on our second trip for sure.

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I've been a WDW nerd for so many years and I feel like I am starting at the beginning with planning a Universal Trip!

Is there a Universal Trip Planning for Dummies thread or webpage you might recommend?

Is it more cost effective to stay at a hotel that includes it or choose a cheaper on site hotel and pay extra to add it on?

Thanks
YES!

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I've been a WDW nerd for so many years and I feel like I am starting at the beginning with planning a Universal Trip!

Is there a Universal Trip Planning for Dummies thread or webpage you might recommend?

The stickies here are of great help.

All you can do is start pricing it out.

The deluxe resorts include unlimited express pass, so compare THAT product when pricing the tickets.

And it includes it for your whole stay, from checkin until the parks close the day you check out. So compare the add-on for however many days you’ll be in the parks.

All you can do is start pricing it out.

The deluxe resorts include unlimited express pass, so compare THAT product when pricing the tickets.

And it includes it for your whole stay, from checkin until the parks close the day you check out. So compare the add-on for however many days you’ll be in the parks.
Exactly you just have to price it out.
Generally, though, the cheapest you are going to get an unlimited express pass is $89.99 per person plus tax per day. For four people, you are looking at least $400/day for express pass.
Many times of the year, especially if you book early, book stay more/save more, book AP rate, you can get a room at premier resort for less than that.
The answer is generally yes, it is better to book the higher tier resort IF you want the unlimited express pass every day for every member of your party.

HOWEVER, if you are there 4 nights but only want 2 park days, then it might not make sense. You may want to have a "dummy" room at one of the premier resorts OR do a split stay. You may just want to pay as you go. Maybe you only need express one day. Maybe it is a slow time of year and you don't "need" express pass. It really depends on your budget.

Thanks
The UO site lists buying the ep is about the cost per day of $129 pp if at on of the premier hotel

It is valid for unlimited usage

We do 2 universal days every year during our 2 week Disney trip and we rent a room for one night at one of the EP hotels (whichever one we can get cheapest) just for the EP (we we don’t even set foot in the room, except for last year when my oldest DD wasn’t feeling well and went there to nap while we were in the park). We get the pass for 2 days even though we stay only one night and our second US day we get access to WWoHP early. We travel as a group of 9 (my family of 7 and my parents) and my parents have to rent a room also so we have enough passes. The hotel keys act as your pass and they have your picture on them so you can’t let someone else use your EP like you can with a magic band. So we get over $2000 worth of EP for usually around $700 (split with my parents) plus we get the early entrance to WWoHP. But you really don’t always need EP (it doesn’t seem to get as crowded as WDW), but we like knowing we’re guaranteed rides without long lines. Can’t beat it!

We do 2 universal days every year during our 2 week Disney trip and we rent a room for one night at one of the EP hotels (whichever one we can get cheapest) just for the EP (we we don’t even set foot in the room, except for last year when my oldest DD wasn’t feeling well and went there to nap while we were in the park). We get the pass for 2 days even though we stay only one night and our second US day we get access to WWoHP early. We travel as a group of 9 (my family of 7 and my parents) and my parents have to rent a room also so we have enough passes. The hotel keys act as your pass and they have your picture on them so you can’t let someone else use your EP like you can with a magic band. So we get over $2000 worth of EP for usually around $700 (split with my parents) plus we get the early entrance to WWoHP. But you really don’t always need EP (it doesn’t seem to get as crowded as WDW), but we like knowing we’re guaranteed rides without long lines. Can’t beat it!

You don’t have a separate EP picture anymore, that was changed in 2017 :thumbsup2

It’s back to your room key you use to get in line for rides. Some rides do have facial recognition now.

Hi! Can you explain this a little further? This newbie is trying to plan a trip for next year. If we stay at Hardrock, each night we stay, we both would get 2 EPs?

If you stay at HR, your hotel room key is valid for usage of the express lines for rides and shows on the parks

This is a free perk when you stay at one of the 3 premier hotels on-site

there were 3 of us last May.
We priced it out and it was much cheaper to stay onsite and get the free Express Pass.
There were some lines where it made no difference, others saved us a huge amount of time.
We've now stayed at Porto Fino (our favorite), Hard Rock, nice but didin't wow us and Royal Pacific, would do again.

Yes you would both have EP that is valid for 2 days with a 1 night stay and so on....2 nights = 3 days........

I have a question:

I see you say 2 days EP is good for 1 night stay. So would you have to wait to check in time to be able to use the EP?

So if check in time is 4:00pm we wont be able to go the park until then to use the EP?

Yes you would both have EP that is valid for 2 days with a 1 night stay and so on....2 nights = 3 days........

I have a question:

I see you say 2 days EP is good for 1 night stay. So would you have to wait to check in time to be able to use the EP?

So if check in time is 4:00pm we wont be able to go the park until then to use the EP?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!