More Permanent Closures. RoL, Stitch and Primeval Whirl

not to argue, I just don't understand this type of statement. I really disliked PW, only did it twice, never again, I just didn't like it. Stitch was alright, not a favorite at all. But for every attraction and show that closes just means all those people that would've been in those locations will be going to other attractions and show, creating more crowds. Even if I hate a ride (looking at you Astro Orbiter) I good never sat good riddance.
Again not trying to get into an argument, but this is a common statement whenever anything closes at any of the parks, just my point of view

That's funny that you mention Astro Orbiter. I rode it for the first (and last) time in 2018. I did it at night so really loved seeing MK at night from it. But because of how you practically have to lay down in it, I had a hard time getting out. LOL. I had to get my nephew to help me out.

Ha! I love Astro Orbiter! I love how fast it moves and how high it is. You get the breeze in your face along with a fantastic view. Also, I love how you are practically laying it it - it feels like you're relaxing in a bath tub!

Putting Indiana Jones in AK would be an absolute disaster! Indiana Jones has nothing to do with animals whatsoever. If they really wnted to redo the area, I'd say get rid of the Coney Island theme. It's way too dated at this point, and it never really connected. It's too bad they don't own the Ice Age franchise, because that would actually work. Eh, give it time, though. Someday Disney will own everything. :P

I’m sad about PW. It’s a very fun ride, and done more safely and on a bigger scale than actual carnival’s versions or the California Adventure version.

It’s also much more size-friendly than DCA’s, which was important for my then-husband after an awful experience trying to ride Sky School.

My son and I got to ride it at the Moonlight Magic in February, and I’m very glad for that.

There is a ride at Universal that equals the stink factor of Stitch. It is called 'Poseidon's Fury'. Fair warning given to those who may attempt the experience.

It’s a
fine attraction with a very cool water feature.

Like a theme park walkthrough version of the old Hercules show with Kevin Sorbo!

:)

ok the water features were good. We were standing there listening and we thought we were in a pre-show area type of thing. But we never got to sit down! It was long! And it was bad! And then suddenly it was over. We were all like, 'what just happened'.

One of the many benefits of sites like this is that you can get info on what sort of attractions they are before going on tjem.

For example, I knew what Stitch was like before riding it in 2010, and that it had been Alien themed before. I knew to try to not have it completely right against my shoulders because I would end up hurting. And to hold my breath when he says a certain thing.

It’s so nice to not be the clueless 50s-late 80s without all this easily accessible info!

Thematically speaking I think Chester and Hester's makes perfect sense within the land and I've always enjoyed that it's there. The Dino Institute and the dig site are all about dinosaurs as real animals and the subject of scientific study, and Chester and Hester's is about America's pop culture relationship with dinosaurs. I love that dichotomy, and I think it speaks to the park's overall theme of not just animals, but how humans and animals relate to one another.

I agree completely. I think the place is adorable.

As someone who adores the Indy ride in California...I really, really do not want this to happen. Indiana Jones is all about archaeology and human history, so this would be a big step away from the park's overarching theme.

I agree with that, too.

Yes, years ago. Quick Google search it was 2011 and 2007 before that

Yep. incredibly sad, but not something to condemn the ride over.

Disney did make and owns the rights to “The Good Dinosaur”
I finally saw that this summer and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it--seemed like it didn't get good reviews at the time and that people panned it as not appealing to adults. I thought it was solid storytelling, though.

When I saw the closing of Primeval Whirl, I was really hoping they were closing all of Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama and retheme it completely.
No such luck.
I agree. I would love to see that whole area rethemed. Of course, if they do, it will be years and years from now before it opens.

Always rode PW. My brother and I always liked it but never truly felt like a Disney ride (I know it wasn't but you could tell). They really should just re-theme the stupid parking lot carnival part. They could just use what they already have (the kid's area, the tri-ride, Resturantaurus) but make it just a "dig" site. Get rid of the big dinosaur and the carnival part and add another small kid's ride or some kind of interactive bone digging thing for adults.
Good idea! They can tie it to the Good Dinosaur movie. Just get rid of the carnival stuff.

Stitch specifically occupied valuable real estate and I think people are hoping it gets replaced with something that is better (low bar). Plus, Stitch only operated seasonally in it's later years so it'll have no impact on crowds for a lot of us.

PW I could take or leave. I think it's a bit low rent for a Disney park but that could be said about the entire Dinoland USA area it's in.
I agree with you 100%. The real estate these rides occupied should be invested in and updated. Stick was never open it seemed when I was there, and one of those times was in the middle of the high summer season!

I'm all for replacing things, no issue with that. The problem is closing with nothing coming in short term. For example wonders of life pavilion, empty for more than a decade. As opossed to GMR closing and MMRR coming in fairly quickly
True, if the rides are operational and open. Stitch was closed more than it was open.
There's been a rumor that pops up from time-to-time that Disney ultimately wants to replace/retheme the whole Dinosaur area (all the carnival stuff, Dinosaur ride, and boneyard) to Indiana Jones. Apparently the Dinosaur ride is the same exact track layout as Indy at DL, so a retheme would be fairly easy. The boneyard could more or less stay the same as an Indiana Jones dig site. Then PW would be replaced with a clone of the Indy coaster at Tokyo Disney sea. This would fit the current trend of adding IPs everywhere and would fix the weird Dinoland situation. Plus the Indy ride is 100x better than Dino IMO (and I love Dino).

That being said, that's always just been a vagueish rumor with no real credibility so I wouldn't plan on it.
The Indy connection might work and especially if the track is the same and would reduce the cost to retheme the ride.
The carnival games are thematically appropriate to the section but not to WDW as a whole. What I would like to see in PW's place would be a small, old school dark ride on the level of Mr. Toad or Snow White's Scary Adventures--something Chester and Hester could have conceivably put together but that falls more closely in line with the Disney style. I don't have any reason to think that'll ever happen, though; with Primeval Whirl gone and current economic conditions I think we can expect to see Chester and Hester's remain exactly as it is for a good five to ten years and then some complete replacement announced whenever Disney hits their next financial rebound.
I agree. It will be years before we see anything done with this area due to the current economic conditions and other things in the works.

Putting Indiana Jones in AK would be an absolute disaster! Indiana Jones has nothing to do with animals whatsoever. . :P
All they need to do is figure out a spin to make it work. What does Pandora have to do with Animal Kingdom? Yet they spun it to a conservation theme to make it work.
Is Animal Kingdom the best place for an Indian Jones Land? I don't know, but there is enough IP to make a great land somewhere.

Didn’t ROL Have issues from the beginning? Delays, show issues? Was it a well attended event?

All they need to do is figure out a spin to make it work. What does Pandora have to do with Animal Kingdom? Yet they spun it to a conservation theme to make it work.
Is Animal Kingdom the best place for an Indian Jones Land? I don't know, but there is enough IP to make a great land somewhere.
Originally, the Pandora area was supposed to be a mythical beasts section. That's why there is a dragon in the original artwork for Animal Kingdom. Pandora kind of fits that original plan with all the mythical beasts.

There is a ride at Universal that equals the stink factor of Stitch. It is called 'Poseidon's Fury'. Fair warning given to those who may attempt the experience.
Poseidon's Fury isn't that bad and that water tunnel (when running) is actually kind of cool. On the first (and only) time our family did the attraction, our youngest was chosen to hold the trident and lead us all. If you've done it, you know what I mean. It was actually very fun for us because we expected it to be so bad based on all the reviews online.

Poseidon's Fury isn't that bad and that water tunnel (when running) is actually kind of cool. On the first (and only) time our family did the attraction, our youngest was chosen to hold the trident and lead us all. If you've done it, you know what I mean. It was actually very fun for us because we expected it to be so bad based on all the reviews online.
The water tunnel is cool. Would I go on it again? No. Maybe I would have liked it more if they had let me hold the trident.

The water tunnel is cool. Would I go on it again? No. Maybe I would have liked it more if they had let me hold the trident.
If the enjoyment of a ride is based solely on getting to hold the special prop doohickey, then the ride isn't really that good.

Last edited:
I the enjoyment of a ride is based solely on getting to hold the special prop doohickey, then the ride isn't really that good.

I found it to be entirely tedious and there were several occasions when my wife and I considered exiting stage left during transitions to escape a death by boredom.

I don't understand the reluctance to put Indiana Jones in AK because it has nothing to do with animals.

I mean, we all know that dinosaurs never existed.

Been to RoL twice, always packed. However it was kind of boring. Hopefully they will spruce it up with a new exciting show when the pandemic is over. Thant's a lot of real estate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter