More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still, this comes down to a space issue and small tweaking is easier said than done. There has been times where both Teresa and Kathy have been invited on and they can't make it because they have lives outside the podcast or illness or just any prior engagement, so it's not like it's always strictly about the rotation. Charles and Steve are both staff writers and a lot of times Pete caters the news or discussion topics around articles they write and wants them as part of the show because they are the experts on the topic being discussed and when Pete says he wants someone on, they are on the show. Pete and I have discussed ideas on how to branch out and add more voices to other shows in the future, but there is only so much we can do for the WDW Edition unless some people start quitting.

I really appreciate that even though its not logistically feasible at the moment, it is something that's being talked about. I also hope you guys don't feel attacked in our request like some of the other commenters might make it seem. I'm certainly not trying to tell anyone how they should run their free podcast, but just want to convey that some other points of view are just icing on the DIS cake :)

Interesting responses from people about my comment, thanks for taking the time. I'll admit that cultural touchstones vary greatly among us, so that may account for the different experiences. I'm also in my 50's and live a fairly suburban life, but I've long seen memes and jokes around white people being intolerant of spices.

For what it's worth, Google holds a wealth of info if you search something like "White People Spicy Food". :-) There's even something called "white people spicy" as an entry in the urban dictionary - with examples like "Oh wow, this pasta contains a hint of pepper. I can't take all this spice! Where's the water?" Or for more variations on the theme, try https://www.theodysseyonline.com/15-spicy-white-people It's written by a white person so I'll assume it's tongue-in-cheek, but it perpetuates the stereotype.

I'll even apologize if the poster I quoted confirms for us that her/his call for diversity was due to the individual on the podcast team who dislikes spicy food, rather than as a reference to white people as a whole.

I hesitate a little to post this thread, as I love the Dis Unplugged and don't want to be flamed, but I'm sharing publicly, in case anyone else feels this way.

As I said, I love the show - I think the team is great and I never miss an episode of the flagship show. That said, I've been a little disappointed over the last couple years that none of the new regulars on the show have been women. I would love to see the cast add another woman in her 20s/30s whose voice I can relate to (or a woman of any age for that matter). For example, I think Kylie is fantastic when she does vlogs with Ryno and Craig! Could she be a regular contributor on the main Dis Unplugged? I feel like ever since JL left, the new folks (both guests and regulars) have been men nine times out of ten. And it seems like Teresa and Kathy have been on the show less recently, so while the show is still enjoyable, it feels like it's missing something it once had. And while we once had The Trip, the entire Dis YouTube line just seems to be completely male dominated these days.

Watching the show today, my heart just sank a little as we got through all the introductions and there was not a female voice to be heard. Anyway, just one woman's opinion, but thought I'd speak up, in case anyone feels as I do.

All the best.

I've listened and watched the Podcast show "almost" since its inception. I've seen team members come and go and there's one observation that I've definitely made which is, for the most part the women on the shows are not as confrontational, not as opinionated, not as edgy. Sometimes I believe that Kathy and Teresa can be too nice and are just too kind hearted. I personally don't care if the team members are male or female. They just need to be passionate Disney lovers.

Last edited:
Still, this comes down to a space issue and small tweaking is easier said than done. There has been times where both Teresa and Kathy have been invited on and they can't make it because they have lives outside the podcast or illness or just any prior engagement, so it's not like it's always strictly about the rotation. Charles and Steve are both staff writers and a lot of times Pete caters the news or discussion topics around articles they write and wants them as part of the show because they are the experts on the topic being discussed and when Pete says he wants someone on, they are on the show. Pete and I have discussed ideas on how to branch out and add more voices to other shows in the future, but there is only so much we can do for the WDW Edition unless some people start quitting.

How about Julie, Teresa, and Kathy doing an occasional dining review?

An occasional park trip?

EPCOT festival trip?

"Beyond The Parks" segments?

When are members of the team supposed to have time for their families and non-work lives if people want them to create all this special new content to fill what they perceive is a gap in coverage?

How about Julie, Teresa, and Kathy doing an occasional dining review?

An occasional park trip?

EPCOT festival trip?

"Beyond The Parks" segments?

I like the idea but tough as the podcast is not any of their “day jobs” so is asking them to do something extra out of their free time

Obviously things were easier when JL still worked there as the podcast work was her primary role but not the case now

When are members of the team supposed to have time for their families and non-work lives if people want them to create all this special new content to fill what they perceive is a gap in coverage?
Well, several of these folks used to be on the podcast routinely-Cathy, Theresa, Julie. It sounds like their jobs have changed to not allow that but I think it’s OK-an actually a compliment to the three of them-for folks to say they miss what they brought to the show. And perhaps these are some perspectives to think about including in the future, the next time there’s a vacancy.

My only comment on this is that Charles and Steve are on pretty much everything that you guys do -- the Daily Fix, the Best and Worst, the Disney Dining Show, etc. They are good, but we see them all the time. Folks like Kathy, Teresa, and Julie only ever appear on the main show. For that reason, I would personally prefer them being given preference in the rotation over those who appear in the other shows. That's just my opinion, of course, and I'm sure others disagree.

Well, several of these folks used to be on the podcast routinely-Cathy, Theresa, Julie. It sounds like their jobs have changed to not allow that but I think it’s OK-an actually a compliment to the three of them-for folks to say they miss what they brought to the show. And perhaps these are some perspectives to think about including in the future, the next time there’s a vacancy.
What I hate is there is no 'colour' diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter