Mousekeeping

ucancallmeflower

Mouseketeer
I was just at wdw and talked with some nice college age kids working mousekeeping. ( met them when they were not at work ) We could not believe how gross some of the stories were about things guests leave and expect the “ help” to take care of. I hope that people are leaving tips for the staff who take care if them while they
stay there. Please dont give us dvc members a bad wrap! Some of us actually are clean, thoughtful and leave tips!

Not all those in a DVC unit are owners. Renting has grown to the point any bozo can stay at a DVC unit and most don't care about it since they don't own it.

I was just at wdw and talked with some nice college age kids working mousekeeping. ( met them when they were not at work ) We could not believe how gross some of the stories were about things guests leave and expect the “ help” to take care of. I hope that people are leaving tips for the staff who take care if them while they
stay there. Please dont give us dvc members a bad wrap! Some of us actually are clean, thoughtful and leave tips!

I stayed in three Villas this December and was very pleased with all the Mouse keeping staff we had.

Housekeeping is a non-tipped position. Their wages are higher and they have different perks to get off earlier. I see no need to leave the housekeepers a tip unless I requested something special from them. I don't tip maintenance when they come in to fix the AC.

Not all those in a DVC unit are owners. Renting has grown to the point any bozo can stay at a DVC unit and most don't care about it since they don't own it.
I guess I am one of those bozos, as I am not a dvc owner and never will be. However, I am always very clean, thoughtful and leave tips. Just got back and had a great stay! Even though our 1 bedroom at SSR smoke alarm went off for no reason one morning and mousekeeping didn’t come at all one day. Never complained and turned down the GM’s offer to compensate for the fire alarm thing. It was no big deal and part of the adventure. I imagine some of the dvc owners would have lost their minds. So don’t assume just because we are not owners we are beneath you. Our family is always respectful at any hotel room we stay. We don’t feel entitled, we just appreciate staying at your dvc property for all the perks with none of the fees.

I guess I am one of those bozos, as I am not a dvc owner and never will be. However, I am always very clean, thoughtful and leave tips. Just got back and had a great stay! Even though our 1 bedroom at SSR smoke alarm went off for no reason one morning and mousekeeping didn’t come at all one day. Never complained and turned down the GM’s offer to compensate for the fire alarm thing. It was no big deal and part of the adventure. I imagine some of the dvc owners would have lost their minds. So don’t assume just because we are not owners we are beneath you. Our family is always respectful at any hotel room we stay. We don’t feel entitled, we just appreciate staying at your dvc property for all the perks with none of the fees.

Thanks for being a good renter, sadly not all, actually very few, will take proper care of the units. I understand that even many owner are like pigs that it's not just renter.

If you aren't a bozo, then Bill's comments really don't apply to you at all. However, I have been witness to someone who trashed a DVC unit and it took the CMs hours to clean it up. Don't know if they were owners or renters, just bozos.

Thanks for being a good renter, sadly not all, actually very few, will take proper care of the units.

"Very few" renters take proper care of the units. Wow.

I understand that even many owner are like pigs that it's not just renter.

Then what exactly is your basis for pointing fingers at renters?

Just because someone can afford a $300 monthly payment for DVC doesn't make them a tidier or more respectful person.

My dues just went up nearly 10% , a big part to go towards the housekeeping $15 an hour wage increase being phased in. They already said more big dues rises likely coming to continue that path.

The housekeepers on $15 an hour are some of the best paid in the world. Go to Europe even expensive capital cities and the average housekeeper earns about $11 an hour (London for example), and very few people leave tips.

Cleaning up bad mess is unfortunately what they have to do. I leave my place very tidy, treating it the same or better than my house. They have minimal work in my unit. If I left it a mess I would tip, but I’m not paying for others that leave a mess, I pay enough in dues.

As a result I feel no need to tip an untipped position. If you wish to do so great, but I get kind of tired of tipping evangelicalism.

Guests can already opt out of mousekeeping at value and moderates and get a gift card instead. The result is people putting their trash and dirty towels in the hallways. Gross. And Disney is eliminating jobs so the $15 per hour won’t cost them a dime.

I stayed at SSR to have a deluxe experience and I did. I had hopes to buy into dvc but this is one of my issues. I booked a package directly with Disney and stayed in someone’s unit. Yet the owner (s) get no compensation for my stay? And if I had ‘trashed’ the room and caused excessive wear and tear? Your maintenance fees cover that? It doesn’t seem right. Maybe extra tips should go to the owners and not the housekeepers!o_O

Guests can already opt out of mousekeeping at value and moderates and get a gift card instead. The result is people putting their trash and dirty towels in the hallways. Gross. And Disney is eliminating jobs so the $15 per hour won’t cost them a dime.

I stayed at SSR to have a deluxe experience and I did. I had hopes to buy into dvc but this is one of my issues. I booked a package directly with Disney and stayed in someone’s unit. Yet the owner (s) get no compensation for my stay? And if I had ‘trashed’ the room and caused excessive wear and tear? Your maintenance fees cover that? It doesn’t seem right. Maybe extra tips should go to the owners and not the housekeepers!o_O
While DVC ownership is tied to a very small portion of a unit, it's not like a traditional timeshare where you own a specific week in a specific unit. When you reserved directly with Disney, you stayed either in a villa that represents the very small percentage that DVC owns directly, a villa that represents the points an owner used to trade out of DVC and into the Disney Collection or a villa that represents points taken by Disney through foreclosure or ROFR and they have not sold yet. However, if an owner "rents their points" to someone and that person trashes the unit, the owner may be responsible for the damage.

I booked a package directly with Disney and stayed in someone’s unit.

Yes and no, you did not stay in "someone's" unit. Our DVC ownership is not in a specific room. And Disney cash reservations (except for option 3 below) are not actually anyone's points, but Disney's. They have cash rooms available from several sources.
1) Retained ownership - Disney maintains anywhere from 2% to 5% ownership
2) Points turned over to Disney as part of a trade into the Disney collection for cruises, Adventures by Disney, or a stay in the Disney Collection(ie a cash room at a non-DVC resort, or a room at a non-US Disney resort)
3) Breakage inventory...DVC rooms not reserved by a DVC member at 60 days out.- a portion of the proceeds from these rooms are used to offset our DVC Dues.

We tip mousekeeping, we tip the folks who bring us things we ask for, like extra blankets.

Who does not like to get a nice little surprise?

As noted, this is not a tipped position. We don't tip unless they do above and beyond or special though historically they often do. But then we also eave things as easy as possible for them with towels pilled easily accessible, strip the beds, dishes clean or washed, trash picked up and the like. We weren't there but when I hear this type of thing I am always suspicious whether it's being played up as an attempt to generate tips though we've all seen horror stories in one way or another. The people that cause the stories aren't the ones that are going to tip anyway and if they leave it badly enough management can charge them if appropriate.

There is no evidence that owners treat the accommodations any better than renters. From my personal experiences, I'd say it's actually the other way. IMO the "I'm an owner and I'll treat it better" is likely only applicable to fixed week, fixed unit timeshare situations. Otherwise even for owners, it's just a rental car situation and it boils down to the character of the individual. I've discussed this very situation with several resort managers for other timeshares and they tell me the only group that catches their eye as different are spring break type groups, often family of owners. When I've rented, the people I deal with are usually far more appreciative and excited about the trip than the owners here are. But like life in general, there will be variation.

We got home yesterday after a week in a 2-BR at BWV. I called to report missing items (as I do every trip), as well as to have maintenance come look at BOTH bathroom sink faucets. One of them was missing the aerator, so when turning on the faucet the water sprayed everywhere. In the other sink, the hot water side was barely a trickle.

I am sure that Housekeeping, if doing their job before we checked in includes cleaning both sinks, knew that these sinks were not working yet did not report to Maintenance. I guess Housekeeping expects the guest to report non-working items. I am not tipping for this kind of "service."

On a positive note, Maintenance showed up within 10 minutes of my call, as did someone with the missing items....

I am sure that Housekeeping, if doing their job before we checked in includes cleaning both sinks, knew that these sinks were not working yet did not report to Maintenance.

Or maybe housekeeping does report or note it on paper, and maintenance has so much to do, on minor items they wait for a guest to report it. No one knows the inner workings of the resorts.

We also treat our unit as owners just as we do our home. Feel very bad for housekeepers when renters or owners that are slobs in any resort,:scared1: not just DVC.:(

We spent 9 days at SSR in Nov. We had daily room checks but no mouse-keeping. I had to pester the maid in the hallway for fresh towels. Very disappointed.

What is the point of paying for dues?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter