Moving dogs across country advice

mickman1962

I gotta go where it's warm
I need to move my 2 dogs (smallish terrier's approx 20 lbs) from NY to Phoenix. There are temperature restrictions for flying (above 80 degrees) which really limit coming to Arizona. Looking for ground transport or any other ideas. I found a few online places but don't trust testimonials on sites. Looking to hear from people who have done something similar.

I need to move my 2 dogs (smallish terrier's approx 20 lbs) from NY to Phoenix. There are temperature restrictions for flying (above 80 degrees) which really limit coming to Arizona. Looking for ground transport or any other ideas. I found a few online places but don't trust testimonials on sites. Looking to hear from people who have done something similar.
Have you spoken to your veterinarian or a local pet rescue organization? Many pet rescue facilities operate pet travel vans to deliver dogs from the South to NE so it seems they would have the experience. Considered renting an RV and driving them yourself?
No firsthand experience. My "feather man" is boarded at an avian vet when we go away for long trips or if short term I give the keys to one of 2 sisters who visit him daily and take care of his demands- err I mean needs.

Is driving a possibility? We drove our dogs each of our moves and while not a super fun experience, it wasn't that bad and they seemed much less stressed by being with us. Logistically it was much easier, too (plus we could drive other things that couldn't/shouldn't be moved by the movers).

On each of our cross country moves we have opted to drive a car so the dog can come with us.

I actually know of 2 couples down here in snow bird land, that pay someone to fly to where they live and then drive their car down to FL with their pet for the season. I had heard of that method for moving a car, but not specifically as a way to get the pets here - but I guess it happens.

If they are only 20 lbs and small enough to fit in a Sherpa bag under the seat you can carry them on the plane with you..I travel ALOT with dogs-crisscrossed the country a couple of times. Driving is the best option. there are a lot of good dog friendly hotels, you can control the temp in your car, you stay with them and it doesn't really stress them out much. If you can not drive I would looking to flying with them in carriers-airlines limit the number of dogs on a flight but I was on a Southwest flight from New York to Denver last week and there was a West Highland White Terrier, a Lhasa Apso and a Parson Russel Terrier all on my flight. You have to book a bit ahead but that is absolutely the way I would go.

We looked into every option you can think of to transport our 100# Chocolate Lab from CO to So Cal when he was just a 12# pup. We road-tripped it. It was daunting, but ended up being an amazing experience - highly recommend!

I would road trip it if possible. Since they are small, you may be able to fly them out with you in the cabin under the seat. I would never put them in the cargo hold, especially coming to Arizona.

I already moved here and my wife won't be moving till July so I'd have to fly there, rent a car and drive back. After making the 42 hour drive by myself and would not look forward to doing it with the two of them, but it's an option. While they are 20 lb's ish I don't see how the one (tall and lanky) would fit.

If you have to fly with dogs in cargo-and I still think they are small enough to carry on-then Alaska Air is your only reasonable option-certainly the only airline I would trust with dogs in cargo. Pet transport is an iffy thing-the only other option I could suggest is finding a professional dog show handler who is traveling all or part of the distance and pay them to transport them-maybe meet them somewhere along the route. Transport with a professional handler is far far preferable to transport with a pet transport service or a rescue. Many name handlers have assistants who's job it is to transport dogs-and they do a very good job with it. Too bad you were not ready last week-people heading back to CA after the WKC show could probably have transported them for you.

Can your wife fly with the ogs in cargo some April weekend, then fly home?

This (not a fan myself) or, have your wife drive out with them in July when she moves?

OP, exactly how many pounds each are your dogs? Would they even qualify to fly in the cabin? Another thing to look into if neither you nor your wife has the time may be a dog travel nanny. I know I've seen some breeders on the west coast who offer that service. It's pretty much a puppy nanny that flys your dog to you, assuming they fit the parameters to fly in the cabin. There are also pet transport services, and a google search (or better yet, ask around to family, friends and animal care pros for a recommendation) might be a good place to start.

I already moved here and my wife won't be moving till July so I'd have to fly there, rent a car and drive back. After making the 42 hour drive by myself and would not look forward to doing it with the two of them, but it's an option. While they are 20 lb's ish I don't see how the one (tall and lanky) would fit.
Why can't your wife drive them, making it a multiple-day trip?

On each of our cross country moves we have opted to drive a car so the dog can come with us.
Ditto. When we moved (multiple times due to military reassignments) NY to Kansas, to Arizona, to Texas, to California we drove, taking all kids and dogs with us.

There are pet "shipping" (ugh - I hate how that sounds) services. Probably pretty expensive.

When DDs and I moved from Delaware to California to join exH who was already there, we flew. Ex in-laws were gracious enough to drive my car and our dog there. I think it took them about 11 days at a leisurely pace.

We didn't want to fly the dog as cargo in July. I don't know if there were any ground pet shipping services available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter