Moving to Florida with Autistic DS22

MrsBlovesDisney

DIS Veteran
We are considering a move to Florida next year when our autistic son ages out at 22. One of his issues being sensory in that even in the winter he wears t-shirts and shorts. We live in MA, and with all the shoveling we do, even bundling him up to go outside he wouldn't know if his feet/hands were freezing (as if he were a child). So winters are spent indoors, even tho we are outdoor people. We feel the warmer climate would better suite all of us as we all grow older. Our son adores Disney (ok we all are addicted lol)...he would ride the monorail all day if it didn't drive his parents crazy haha (as he cannot ride alone). Right now we only visit WDW once a year (plus an adult only:lovestruc) but would visit a lot more often (we are DVC members) if we decide to move. We would not be looking near Disney, but thinking around St Augustine area (which is about 2 hours north), as hubby would work out of Jacksonville.
My hope is to hear from other parents of special needs adults and their experience with turning 22 living in Florida. In MA our son will qualify for a day program and hopefully go to a job site a day or two per week (IE: cleaning tables at a college/company, etc). He does not need in-home services.
Anyone willing to share or give advice?

Similar situation here, my son is now 28. Downs and Autism, needs supervisor, not really verbal. I have heard that Florida does not provide good services, ie day programs (like he is on now) or group homes. Makes me nervous. I also would not be toed to living right in the Orlando are itself, 90 minutes-2 hours away would be close enough.

Thanks for that link!

Similar situation here, my son is now 28. Downs and Autism, needs supervisor, not really verbal. I have heard that Florida does not provide good services, ie day programs (like he is on now) or group homes. Makes me nervous. I also would not be toed to living right in the Orlando are itself, 90 minutes-2 hours away would be close enough.

Thanks for that link!

Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of. We are so worried about his welfare, and want him to have a fulfilling life. I'm still hoping to get info somehow somewhere, from someone living in either that area or in Florida at least. We have at least a year but don't want to get our hopes up if it doesn't work out. Really hoping it all works out and we can head south.
Best Wishes!

We have a friend who recently retired and is now a snowbird with his 29 year old son with Down syndrome. There are virtually no services for him in Florida other than being put on a waiting list. Also, shortly after the move the son was diagnosed with cancer so they had to move back to New York State for the winter for treatment. Florida medical is abysmal in his opinion. Now this spring they will be in NY for the summer and fall for the weather, he will get services for his son and medical follow-up.

Had another friend with a son with Down syndrome who is 30. They retired and moved to North Carolina to be close to their other 2 sons. No services for the 30 year old, but the other sons help on their days off and include him in family activities. They will also move back to NY for the summer and can still get respite and recreation when they are here. No word on medical care in NC.

So, my point is to research very carefully before moving.

We have a friend who recently retired and is now a snowbird with his 29 year old son with Down syndrome. There are virtually no services for him in Florida other than being put on a waiting list. Also, shortly after the move the son was diagnosed with cancer so they had to move back to New York State for the winter for treatment. Florida medical is abysmal in his opinion. Now this spring they will be in NY for the summer and fall for the weather, he will get services for his son and medical follow-up.

Had another friend with a son with Down syndrome who is 30. They retired and moved to North Carolina to be close to their other 2 sons. No services for the 30 year old, but the other sons help on their days off and include him in family activities. They will also move back to NY for the summer and can still get respite and recreation when they are here. No word on medical care in NC.

So, my point is to research very carefully before moving.

I will say in the Jacksonville area, we have the Baptist health care systems, which are pretty decent, and Mayo Clinic, which is pretty great for major problems.

Sadly, the state of Florida isn't known for taking care of the special needs population, even in the public school system. We've had kids move down there (I work in a school system in MA) and the family returns before the school year is over, and the kids are so far behind, losing skills they had when they left us. This has happened twice. I don't know why there's that hole in services. FAPE is pretty clear about what has to be done, isn't it?

Sadly, the state of Florida isn't known for taking care of the special needs population, even in the public school system. We've had kids move down there (I work in a school system in MA) and the family returns before the school year is over, and the kids are so far behind, losing skills they had when they left us. This has happened twice. I don't know why there's that hole in services. FAPE is pretty clear about what has to be done, isn't it?
I can remember a family also moving back to MA from Florida. Their kids were school age and didn't get the services they needed. I thought for sure there would be a day program for adults 22 and older (and not needing to be on a waitlist). I am meeting up with DDS in a couple of weeks to see if my contact can give me any info regarding Florida. Also, I'm sending an Email to the Arc of St Johns county in St Augustine to see what is available. I see that they actually have a "surf" program one Saturday aftn every month for about 6 months. That gives me hope that there might be a good program for our son.

It is ironic that states that may provide better services are in states that are colder than here (NJ). I fear we may be stuck here in NJ forever, because DS siblings are here. Perhaps we can survive here if we downsize and find cheaper housing. But I do not want to stay here. One son and fiancée who is closest to DS with the disabilities was going to move to SC. I said, we will come too! (not same town, just not to far away I meant). They are undecided now. :(

I feel uncomfortable relocating out of state, perhaps eventually placing DS in a group home, and when we are gone, he is stuck there alone away from his siblings.

I have put this off for so long, because it seems impossible to resolve. Now he is 28.

Pure speculation on my part here, but I think that Florida, as well as other low tax states just don't have the funding available to provide both educational and adult services to the special needs population as a whole. Their low taxes are attractive to entice people to move there along with their weather, but when they need services they are minimal. Couple that with potential/actual cuts to Medicaid on the Federal level and more and more people will not get the services they need. Another factor to consider is how long you have to be a resident of Florida before you can apply for Medicaid .... 30 days .... 60 days? I don't know.

MA is well known as one of the BEST states for disability services for adults. Florida is basically one of the worst. Don't move.

I have two autistic sons. I will never move to FL, even though I love it and have family there.

MA is well known as one of the BEST states for disability services for adults. Florida is basically one of the worst. Don't move.

I have two autistic sons. I will never move to FL, even though I love it and have family there.

:sad1:

Why does it have to be Florida? Disney? What about another nearby state in a days drive?

Hubby would be working out of Jacksonville.

Would you be willing to live in Georgia and have DH drive to work in Jacksonville? Kingsland, GA, for instance, just on the other side of the FL-GA border, is only roughly a 30 minute drive from some areas of Jacksonville. I have no idea what state support is available in GA, but just wanted to offer that as a possibility.

Would you be willing to live in Georgia and have DH drive to work in Jacksonville? Kingsland, GA, for instance, just on the other side of the FL-GA border, is only roughly a 30 minute drive from some areas of Jacksonville. I have no idea what state support is available in GA, but just wanted to offer that as a possibility.

My guess is that whole southern area has poor support systems - they certainly don't rock it for public education for the most part.

We are considering a move to Florida next year when our autistic son ages out at 22. One of his issues being sensory in that even in the winter he wears t-shirts and shorts. We live in MA, and with all the shoveling we do, even bundling him up to go outside he wouldn't know if his feet/hands were freezing (as if he were a child). So winters are spent indoors, even tho we are outdoor people. We feel the warmer climate would better suite all of us as we all grow older. Our son adores Disney (ok we all are addicted lol)...he would ride the monorail all day if it didn't drive his parents crazy haha (as he cannot ride alone). Right now we only visit WDW once a year (plus an adult only:lovestruc) but would visit a lot more often (we are DVC members) if we decide to move. We would not be looking near Disney, but thinking around St Augustine area (which is about 2 hours north), as hubby would work out of Jacksonville.
My hope is to hear from other parents of special needs adults and their experience with turning 22 living in Florida. In MA our son will qualify for a day program and hopefully go to a job site a day or two per week (IE: cleaning tables at a college/company, etc). He does not need in-home services.
Anyone willing to share or give advice?
Have you seen Jacksonville school for autism I think they are doing an adult education there too ( I think the oldest student is like 24) but this might help you out if you move to the area. http://www.jsakids.org

Thank you. I think that's just K-12 but I will take another look! :thumbsup2
I am not too sure either I had a look around there site and saw nothing but I think I remember seeing somewhere that kids do not age out of JSA not sure if it is kids in the program or not you can always email them and ask them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!