Multiple Resort Owners, Which and Why?

Hilton Head purchased first because at the time I could get 5 nights in a 2BR for 1/2 price of a week in a Marriott 2BR.
Then SSR because we needed some points at Disneyworld (sold our Marriott Cypress Harbour) and I wanted treehouse priority.
Then Aulani to get a priority at holidays (doesn't seem to be much of an issue.)

We own at 5 different resorts OKW, BWV, HHV, VBV, WLV, only reason was we bought resale contracts for 3 of them and got such great deals.... We use our pts a lot and if we ever need more we do a transfer from one contract to another

We own at 3 resorts. Our first was Vero because that's what they were selling at the time. We didn't even stay there until many years later. We were also given a good discount and DVC was still considered a "Best Kept Secret" so there was little information when I did the research. But once we stayed at AKL, we knew we had to stay onsite from then on.

Our second resort is BCV and we purchased this because we loved it and knew we would stay there most of the time.

Our third was AKV because I wanted to have the home resort advantage for the 1 bedroom value room, which we ended up only choosing twice. The rest of the time we stayed in a 1bd standard.

We've been members for over 15yrs and we still enjoy our stays. We have stayed in all DVC resorts except for Copper Creek, however we will be staying there this December.

We first purchased OKW (150 points) because it was the only DVC resort at the time (waaaay back in 1995). We considered ourselves very fortunate because that's when they were offering free length-of-stay park passes for every stay through 2000. We were consistently borrowing all points from the next use year.

We added on SSR in 2004 when DS was doing Disney's College Program to alleviate our "borrowing" conundrum. SSR was the best value, especially with DS's cast member discount at the time. However, we were still always borrowed out. :P

A few years later, we added BLT because I'd always wanted to stay at the Contemporary and DH is awesome about humoring me. We were one of the first to buy there, so we have a nice silver nameplate on the rectangular fountain behind the resort. We really like the convenience of being able to walk to and from MK.

Our latest three add-ons were all at BCV. I've always loved staying there and being able to walk to both EPCOT and HS. After buying there, we were finally able to bank points for the very first time last year.

We've never used points for cruises, and have never exchanged out. We have booked one ABD with points. We've also used points at the Disneyland resorts whenever we couldn't get GC, which is almost every time. We tend to be more "last-minute" planners rather than "11-month window" planners. And, we always tend to take several long weekend trips each year instead of longer stays. But, DH and I officially retired last year, so I imagine we'll start to be better at planning farther out and for longer stays. We also have grandchildren now, so we've started planning bigger trips with them. :)

We bought our first points at BCV - we bought resale and bought a contract with enough points to stay 10 nights in a 1br every other year. We purposefully bought BCV because of Food and Wine.

We bought our 2nd contract at VGF - we bought direct and bought a contract with enough points to stay 10 nights in a 1br every other year. We bought VGF because we wanted a monorail resort and were not loving BLT.

We firmly believe in buy where you want to stay - we book at 11 months and then can forget about it i.e. no scrambling at 7 months. We have used our points to stay at VGC (loved it and will likely buy resale here at some point since we now live on the west coast) and at SSR (ok stay, did not love having to take busses everywhere and the restaurants at SSR were not good but at least we could walk to Downtown Disney).

We have found our trips are very different when we stay at BCV vs VGF even though we go for F&W every year. At BCV, we tend to do a lot more dropping in at EPCOT or at the Crew Cup Lounge. At VGF, we book tea, eat at Citricos, drop in at Trader Sam's and TOTWL. They are very different vacations. We would not be happy owning at a resort without direct park access or good dining options.

Edited to add: We also have our trips "perfectly" set up - we get groceries for snacks and beverages, we have 2 owners lockers with our stuff (keurig coffee maker, 1.5 L vodka/gin/rum, special coffee mugs and wine glasses etc). So we love the 1 BR for relaxation and just hanging out with our creature comforts.

We own at OKW and BLT. We became DVC members very early on and OKW (at that time it was called Disney Vacation Club) was the first DVC resort. We loved the whole idea of DVC and purchased our membership fairly quickly after our tour (the promo at the time was free tickets to the three theme parks through 2000 and that helped too :cloud9:). We purchased at BLT because the MK is our favorite park and the location is unbeatable. We also enjoy visiting the Contemporary, our long-time resort of choice before becoming DVC members. We stayed at OKW earlier this month and are booked at BLT in late February/early March. We very much enjoy both resorts and are happy with our decision to purchase at both. We have stayed at other DVC resorts and enjoyed that. But these are our absolute favorites.

We own at two resorts AKV and BCV.

We purchased AKV first because we fell in love with Jambo house, and also liked the option of being able to stay concierge, or save points by booking value accommodations. We also liked the 1bdr and 2bdr set up at Kidani with the extra bathroom. We still love the resort and are very glad that we are AKV owners.

We recently added on at BCV because we love the location and pool, and wanted to be able to stay close to Epcot for the F&W festival each year. We have stayed there before on our AKV points, but that has become really difficult recently, so it became worth it to have the 11 month booking advantage. We are very excited to stay on our BCV points for the first time in Fall 2018!

We own at BCV, AKV and VGC because of location, theme and combination of location/theme respectively. We own sufficient points at each for the stays, times and accommodations we want at the eleven month window. We own just under half of our points at OKW because of their very low cost to own and use them primarily at other DVC resorts. We have not had difficulty reserving at the seven month window for these stays. And it has been a significant cost savings using OKW in this manner.

DH and I bought in 2000...BWV 250pt....later added 50pts..same resort......all that was for sale was OKW and WLV (?)which we loved but hubby thought 'and said I think the kids will like the BW' so thats how it went....
Today we are 76 and 71 yrs old, the kids and their spouses love DVC/BWV the grand kids are now all Adults..and one of them spent his honeymoon at AKL...Kandani 2 yrs ago....
The ease of going to Epcot and DHS...is for us the best....When DH and I go ourselves we sometimes stay at SSR..then its more about Disney Springs and not the parks so much...
I would buy where I wanted to stay..the 11mth window is important to us....dues and length of contract not so much....all the DVC resorts are lovely..hope it all works out for you...

My question to you all is which resorts did you choose and why? TIA and happy to be part of the "DVC Family"!

I own at BWV and BCV. I only have 150 points total so I bank and borrow. Usually book studios, but have booked 1B and 2B a couple of times.

The reason I bought these 2 resorts is that after a full day in theme parks, I'm absolutely dead on my feet , and waiting in bus lines for even 15 minutes drives me insane:crazy2:. I'd rather be walking and making some progress. I usually end my night at Epcot (not every night) so that I can walk or take a friendship boat back to the resort. Taking the bus in the morning to get to a park doesn't bother me that much, it's the bus wait nightmare after the fireworks at a park.

It also makes it easier to take a rest during the day if I'm at Epcot or the Studios.

As for the expiry date, I'll be 85 when they expire, and I don't know if my kids would want it anyway by that time. The maintenance fees could be just a liability for them. Who know what we'll be paying by then!

We own at four DVC resorts, since we are retired we take two or three Disney vacations each year. Our Aulani points are strictly used at Aulani for our biannual trips to Hawaii and if we have a few points leftover from a trip and won't be back to Aulani before they expire then we add them to another WDW vacation. I expect that we will treat CCV the same as Aulani and only use those points for CCV stays as we have to bank or borrow to stay week at CCV. BLT and AKV can be used at their own resorts or for stays at other resorts. Although since we often travel to WDW in November/December that usually means we will book our stay at the 11 month mark since it is getting more difficult to get the 10 -12 days we want for our vacation at the 7 month mark.

So basically we have bought points where we really want to stay.

Own at SSR & VGF. Purchased SSR first at 125 points since it was cheaper that most but still newer than some of the others. Purchased VGF the second our guide called us and offered. I love and adore VGF so I couldn't say no!

This is what we have done for many years with our two contracts....bank one contract's points and borrow from the other to make a reservation. It works well since our two contracts are pretty much the same number of points. So your plan on buying another 150 point contract should work well if this is your intention.

Since F&W is a big part of your plans, I would definitely purchase at either BWV or BCV. BWV has the great Standard View rooms which are an amazing way to stretch points as long as you are not worried about the view from your room.

We originally purchased at VWL and then bought another similar sized contract at BWV. VWL was purchased because we loved our stays at WL...the theming, the majestic lobby, the music, the ambiance all were perfect for our family. We purchased at BWV because we stayed there once and really enjoyed the resort, the Boardwalk amenities, and the convenience of walking to two parks. And again, the Standard View point schedule is such a bargain! It also helped that we didn't find the big Stormalong Bay pool at BCV to be as much of an attraction for us as it is for so many others.

For you, I would definitely purchase BWV or BCV. I know that the expiration dates are in 25 years, and if you are fairly young I can see why that would be a consideration. But if you buy any other resort, you may have many years of trips to F&W when you are thinking that you wished you had purchased one of those two resorts.

Good luck!
Oh awesome!! Thanks for the information about the banking / borrowing points. I was actually getting ready to ask that question since I was thinking about purchasing SSR / BWV. SSR just due to the proximity to DS/cost and I love food for BWV!! Granted we have a lot to review before we purchase anything but these boards help so much with all the information they carry!

Oh I think I finally remembered by question about the last post on why some people own at different resorts. Let’s say I own 200pts. 100 at SSR and 100 at BWV. At the 7 month mark I want to use my 200 points at VGF but VGF let’s say cost 250 for the week. Am I able to borrow from my next years points? And if so which bucket would they borrow out of if I owned at 2 different resort?

Since points are the currency used to reserve DVC rooms, we have an OKW contract that produced many more points than the other DVC properties for the price and we use these points to reserve the other resorts at 7 months. We do own an additional contract at CCV because the WL is our favorite resort.

Last edited:
Senior citizen couple here, and we own at multiple on site resorts. We bought where we like to stay:
BLT... for access to TTOTW Lounge on July 3 and December 30
BWV....for standard view Villas
BCV... for SAB
VWL...because we love the Lodge, and the whole resort
AKV...animal viewing! Concierge stays! Value!
VGF...to go in December, this has been our biggest disappointment, very hard to book a studio in December. If we sell anything, this will be it. Points for 1 bedroom too high for our contract, although we have given slight thoughts to add on..
SSR...yes, we like to stay in Congress Park, we like the treehouses, we were annoyed when they upped the points to stay there.

Off site we own at VB & HH.

Last edited:
Yes. Own where you want to stay. I have my first contract at AKL and because we love it. We love it just for the resort but don't mind the "it's so far away" thing.
We own at AKL also and I actually like the "remoteness" of it if you can call it that. It's nice to be away from center. We like that Hwy192 is nearby with plenty of dining and shopping. We also own at BLT for when we want to be in the heart of things. Would love to own at BC.

Oh I think I finally remembered by question about the last post on why some people own at different resorts. Let’s say I own 200pts. 100 at SSR and 100 at BWV. At the 7 month mark I want to use my 200 points at VGF but VGF let’s say cost 250 for the week. Am I able to borrow from my next years points? And if so which bucket would they borrow out of if I owned at 2 different resort?

Yes, you would be able to borrow and you can designate which contract you want to borrow from.

Bought 220 points at BWV when it opened, and added 80 points at OKW because it was available at the time. Thinking of trying to buy more points but trade in the 80 OKW points toward it as I don't want the complexity of 3 home resorts.

We own AKV and HHI...

...AKV because we love the value category 1BR's and there are only 10 available so we need the 11-month window...
...HHI because we want a 1BR over spring break (often includes Easter) and there are only 21 1BR's there, so again, we need the 11-month window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!