Murphy Beds to Replace Sofa Beds at DVC Resorts

Personally, I would hate it. OKW is the only studio we ever stay in, especially for our short stays. OKW doesn't have a long enough wall for the big screen television in the studio, so there really isn't a point for having the sofa. Two beds work fine. And, since it is the only studio with two real beds, why change it? It gives guests a option for two beds or one bed and one slab.

These are mattresses in the murphy bed, not a slab. Unless you mean that the mattress rests on a platform? Most mattresses these days no longer require a box spring to provide the comfort that the old mattresses of yesteryear did need.

I also don't understand the comment about not needing a sofa since there isn't a big TV. Yes, you can watch TV from sofas but they also are kind of nice just for sitting and reading, or even just sitting. And I still watch small TV's.

If these truly are full mattresses it would make the OKW studios as versatile as any others. Yes, they've been nice for having the 2 real beds but in essence all the studios are going to have "real" beds if these go in everywhere. Pulling it down if we want to use it makes no difference to me as long as it's an actual mattress. If you don't want the sofa then it's just taking the minute or so to pull it down once and then not moving it again.

These are mattresses in the murphy bed, not a slab. Unless you mean that the mattress rests on a platform? Most mattresses these days no longer require a box spring to provide the comfort that the old mattresses of yesteryear did need.

I also don't understand the comment about not needing a sofa since there isn't a big TV. Yes, you can watch TV from sofas but they also are kind of nice just for sitting and reading, or even just sitting. And I still watch small TV's.

If these truly are full mattresses it would make the OKW studios as versatile as any others. Yes, they've been nice for having the 2 real beds but in essence all the studios are going to have "real" beds if these go in everywhere. Pulling it down if we want to use it makes no difference to me as long as it's an actual mattress. If you don't want the sofa then it's just taking the minute or so to pull it down once and then not moving it again.
The television doesn't line up with where a sofa would be like in the other studios. It's a really small wall.

Any suggestion that a queen size Murphy and chaise would fit into an OKW studio is wrong. You have to leave room to get to the patio/balcony door, the real queen bed does that, a Murphy and chaise would not.

If that includes the sofa sleepers in the one bedrooms, I wonder where they will put them? They'll be blocking off a lot of windows at OKW, if that is true. WHereas, in studios the sofas are against a wall, that is not the case in one bedroom and larger units...and OKW studios already have two real queen sized beds.

Maybe rearrange the room at OKW? Chairs under the windows, bed further down?

Any suggestion that a queen size Murphy and chaise would fit into an OKW studio is wrong. You have to leave room to get to the patio/balcony door, the real queen bed does that, a Murphy and chaise would not.

The chaise could be on either side but yes, it would depend on the measurements of the wall. It was simply speculation that there actually is enough room on that wall but I'd need a tape measure.

I was at the meeting, and the impression I got was that these sofa Murphy beds would be rolled out as resorts undergo hard goods refurbishment. Given that OKW is currently being refurbished, it should be last on the list to get them - IF it does get them.

Maybe rearrange the room at OKW? Chairs under the windows, bed further down?

Really not possible, two walls of the 3 walls in a one bedroom living rooms are all windows. The only wall has a door to the studio in it. There are no dedicated one bedrooms or dedicated studios at OKW, all are lock offs.

The chaise could be on either side but yes, it would depend on the measurements of the wall. It was simply speculation that there actually is enough room on that wall but I'd need a tape measure.

You have to leave room on both sides in the studio. To access the balcony door, and to have access to the other queen bed, night stand and wall switches. It would also require rewiring of light fixtures currently above the headboards.

Last edited:

Really not possible, two walls of the 3 walls in a one bedroom living rooms are all windows. The only wall a door to the studio in it. There are no dedicated one bedrooms or dedicated studios at OKW, all are lock offs.

You have to leave room on both sides in the studio. To access the balcony door, and to have access to the other queen bed.

I think it's 24-28 inches for egress? Or I guess possibly 30 inches although I'd suspect the high 20's.

I think it's 24-28 inches for egress? Or I guess possibly 30 inches although I'd suspect the high 20's.

It is already a fairly tight fit with the two queens. A chaise would not work, and I doubt they'd downsize to a double bed as that may, by law, substantially change what was there and represented when owners purchased.

If you look at the resorts that were renovated to add the 5th person bed in the studio were ones that did not (could not) add the 5th person bed in the 1 bedroom. AKV, BLT, VGC, OKW did not add the 5th bed in the studio. So unlikely they would try to add it at OKW because it has the 5th in the 1 bedroom.

If you look at the resorts that were renovated to add the 5th person bed in the studio were ones that did not (could not) add the 5th person bed in the 1 bedroom. AKV, BLT, VGC, OKW did not add the 5th bed in the studio. So unlikely they would try to add it at OKW because it has the 5th in the 1 bedroom.

I believe the added murphy beds in the studios (and in the case of OKW, VB and HHI sleeper chairs in the 1BR's) all came with full refurbs. So we may or may not have seen the last of them as AKV, BLT and VGC have not had full refurbs yet.

As a SSR owner I am liking the murphy bed instead of the pull out. Last year my friend and her sister stayed in a refurb POP Century room and loved it. We are going next year, with same friend in a two bedroom at SSR. I'll make notes of the current style so we can compare it on a future trip when the rooms are refurbed.

I believe the added murphy beds in the studios (and in the case of OKW, VB and HHI sleeper chairs in the 1BR's) all came with full refurbs. So we may or may not have seen the last of them as AKV, BLT and VGC have not had full refurbs yet.
AKV and BLT have the sleeper chair in the one bedroom and larger villas.

AKV and BLT have the sleeper chair in the one bedroom and larger villas.

Yes. They were designed with them from the start. VGF and PVB were designed with the murphy beds in the studios from the start. For resorts that had them added they came with full refurbs. Or what DVC calls full refurbs.

I was shocked at how uncomfortable the sofas were at AKV in November. Not the bed but the couch itself.
We are staying at the Riviera now, and this is our first experience with the new Murphy sofa beds. This sofa is the most uncomfortable thing my wife and I have ever set on. I hope it’s just due to the “European style” of this sofa and isn’t indicative of what they all will be like. You might as well be sitting on a box in a freight warehouse. I realize that it’s great for large families who want to cram 5 people in a 1 bedroom villa and use that sofa bed, but very disappointing for my wife and I who stay here alone and actually use the sofa to be a sofa!

We are staying at the Riviera now, and this is our first experience with the new Murphy sofa beds. This sofa is the most uncomfortable thing my wife and I have ever set on. I hope it’s just due to the “European style” of this sofa and isn’t indicative of what they all will be like. You might as well be sitting on a box in a freight warehouse. I realize that it’s great for large families who want to cram 5 people in a 1 bedroom villa and use that sofa bed, but very disappointing for my wife and I who stay here alone and actually use the sofa to be a sofa!
We have a 2 bedroom at SSR in November so that will be our first Murphy bed experience, but I never found any sofa bed couch in a DVC room comfortable to sit on, not one.

Maybe more room in a studio - we do not need a sofa
So a bed and a table would be better :)

Maybe more room in a studio - we do not need a sofa
So a bed and a table would be better :)

We have a 2 bedroom at SSR in November so that will be our first Murphy bed experience, but I never found any sofa bed couch in a DVC room comfortable to sit on, not one.
I agree. All DVC sofas are certainly nothing like our sofas at home, but wait until you experience these! I can’t speak for SSR, but the uncomfortable Riviera sofa is almost shocking. And we’re not really picky about sofa comfort, and have even been fine with the comfort of the old DVC sofa-beds. Will be interested to see how the others in the refurbishments compare to this one at the Riviera.

I actually prefer the Murphy bed. It’s a lot more comfortable for my kids over a pull out sofa bed. So we never even use the couch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter