Music from Universal's "Peter Pan" movie used by Disney for ads?

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this for me...

Several years ago, Disney used a particular piece of instrumental music in their park ads, at least for WDW. I don't think it was used in the parks particularly. I'm not sure how many years ago, but it was probably at least 4 or so - maybe when they started the "buy 4/get 3 free" promotions.

The music I believe actually came from Universal/Colombia's movie, "Peter Pan" (2003), starring Jason Isaacs, with the music by James Newton Howard.

The theme appears at various times through the movie, but notably at the beginning of the end credits. It is called "Flying", and you can hear a sample here.

Does anyone remember this being used in the TV ads?

I just find it unusual because Disney had nothing to do with this film (except in Switzerland, where BVI distributed it).

Yes. I remember it.
In fact, I liked the music from the commercials so much that I downloaded it from iTunes. I also used it as the music for a slideshow that I made to celebrate DD’s engagement, which happened at WDW.
DD has been married 5 years ago (today), so it was used in WDW ads more than 5 years ago.

Yes, it was the theme music for the "Year of a Million Dreams" ads. At least the FIRST year of dreams. I don't recall if they still played the ads during year two of dreams. :rotfl2:

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this for me...

Several years ago, Disney used a particular piece of instrumental music in their park ads, at least for WDW. I don't think it was used in the parks particularly. I'm not sure how many years ago, but it was probably at least 4 or so - maybe when they started the "buy 4/get 3 free" promotions.

The music I believe actually came from Universal/Colombia's movie, "Peter Pan" (2003), starring Jason Isaacs, with the music by James Newton Howard.

The theme appears at various times through the movie, but notably at the beginning of the end credits. It is called "Flying", and you can hear a sample here.

Does anyone remember this being used in the TV ads?

I just find it unusual because Disney had nothing to do with this film (except in Switzerland, where BVI distributed it).

James Newton Howard has scored 3 Disney movies to date and composers from time to time get asked to score commercials or for background music. Composers will steal from themselves. Just listen to any James Horner Soundtrack. You hear Battle Beyond the Stars in Star Trek II, Krull, and the Rocketeer. Also, "Bishop's Countdown" from Aliens was featured in a scene from Die Hard. You will hear John Williams quote himself in licks taken from Star Wars Episode 1 in Harry Potter 1.

James Newton Howard has scored 3 Disney movies to date and composers from time to time get asked to score commercials or for background music. Composers will steal from themselves. Just listen to any James Horner Soundtrack. You hear Battle Beyond the Stars in Star Trek II, Krull, and the Rocketeer. Also, "Bishop's Countdown" from Aliens was featured in a scene from Die Hard. You will hear John Williams quote himself in licks taken from Star Wars Episode 1 in Harry Potter 1.

True, but this seemed more than stealing a bar or two...

Edit: Thinking back, maybe it was just a couple bars, repeated over and over...

True, but this seemed more than stealing a bar or two...

It is not uncommon to steal whole themes note for note.

Bill Conti stole from the Tchaikovsky Violin concerto for the Right Stuff. and it was pretty much note for note for whole phrases.

that music was also used for the Disney promo featuring a tour of the new Cinderella Castle suite when it was first opened and the video tour you could watch on the Disney website... I remember because my daughter had to watch it over and over (I loved it too!)

I remember hearing it a few years ago when first logging into Disney's website. I loved this music! Then when I saw the Peter Pan movie I immediately recognized it as the music I had heard on the website. Makes me feel the magic every time I hear it! :)

Just here to say you can catch a preview for Disney parks featuring this track in the "sneak peaks" menu of the DVD for Disney's "Enchanted."

It is far, far more than a few bars that are the same. Doesn't feature the whole song "Flying," but everything about the song in the Disney ads is from "Flying," without a doubt. Sounds like they might have had a different orchestra re-record it, though, maybe. But they didn't change anything.

Glad to find this post - just watched Peter Pan about a week ago and then finished Enchanted and caught this ad... I was like, No way... Surprised Disney got the rights!

This reminds me of how John Williams even threw a few bars of his own Yoda's Theme into the music for the trick-or-treating scene in E.T. when they see the kid in the Yoda costume. Of course, Spielberg and Lucas are good friends, so this was somewhat of a shoutout to a buddy thrown in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!