Must Do & Must Avoid for 1st Timers

I personally would never miss out on ET. Depends on when you were born. I was born in the 80s and this ride takes me back to my childhood. Ok, I'm sold!

The most immersive place outside of WWOHP to eat lunch is the Simpsons world. I would recommend sitting in Moe’s and having a beer. Yeah, I really would like to squeeze that in. I wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons as a child, so it still holds the appeal of displeasing my mother :-)

I think your plan looks good. Do you know which park has Early admission that day? I would then start in the opposite park. The Potter areas are most crowded in the middle of the day so I would start and end with them and do stuff in the middle. The Mummy is our favorite ride so make sure you do that. If you hit it before heading to Diagon Alley you won't have any wait time.

IOA has early admission, so I assumed going straight to Diagon Alley would make the most sense. But Touring Plans actually suggests going to IOA and riding everything else because the early admission people will have moved on to Wizarding World - hence lowest lines for Spider-Man, Kong, JP etc. Maybe that makes sense, but I don't think it'll work for me (since Harry Potter is the reason for going, and everything else is expendable/bonus).

Will doing the Mummy before heading to Diagon make a difference in Gringotts wait time?

We’re also going for the first time with kids next summer and I’ve been wondering the same in regards to how much we can get done with 2-Parks-1-day tickets. Our kids are small, oldest will be just shy of 11 with Wizardly World being top of the list for her (and myself! Lol). We’re going in July, just a few days after the 4th so I know crowds will still be heavy, hoping we can see and experience enough in a day

Following for ideas, if that’s okay

Jurassic Park River Adventure
- this one can be hit or miss if you stay dry or get soaked, just something to keep in mind >> If we wear ponchos, are we safe? Or is it one of those rides where there's just no escaping the water?

Jurassic Park Discovery Center
- make sure to check out the Dino nursery >> Thanks for the tip - I like the sound of that!

(Is it insane to think we could accomplish everything above if we arrive at opening on a day with moderate crowds?)

- No, with planning and if you are willing to rope drop, use single rider, wait some, and stay all day, you can fit it all in. >> Awesome, thanks!

I'm curious about

Simpsons (we're not mega fans, but we like them)
- I’m not a fan, it makes me motion sick, and I found some of the story a little on the gross side as well, if you really enjoy the Simpsons, you may love it. I hated it. >> I'm noticing a lot of people saying it causes motion sickness. DH is prone to it (I think he's exaggerating) so maybe I'll go it alone if we have time.

E.T. (I've heard it's so outdated it's not worth it. True?)
- I don’t feel this way at all. It reminds me of Peter Pan. We really enjoy it, and because it is tucked out of the way and not as popular, it usually doesn’t have a long line, making it a good choice for busy days and people without EP. >> Sold!

Rip Ride Rockit (again, I don't care, but my husband loves coasters)
- I refuse to ride this. I can handle Mummy and Hulk, but this ride made me cry. My body can’t handle it. If you like coasters, go for it. I know many who love it, but it is way too rough for me. >> Yeah, this doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. I'll let DH tackle that one (with his motion sickness that never happens on rides he wants to do...]

For us:

Must Do - Kong, Spiderman, Doom, Cat in the Hat (no line, very cold, great for hot day), Trolley Ride (great views), Hogwarts, Minions, Transformers, Fallon, Mummy x2, ET, MIB, Horror Show, Gringott's

If we stay multiple days on site, we always spend half day on water rides in bathing suits. Know for your one day excursion the Dudley and Popeye will get you soaked, like stand in the shower wet, Jurassic gets you wet, but not soaked.

We will ride the "roller coasters" from time to time, but we live close to Cedar Point, so the magnetic draw is not there for us - don't get me wrong, they are good coasters, but not must dos. Mummy excluded, it is awesome and always gets multiple rides - a true class of its own.

We LOVE all of the simulator rides. Again, as multi year annual pass holders at Cedar Point, it is like saying all coasters are the same. Or, for Disney fans, it's saying that Mermaid, Nemo, Small World, Frozen, etc. are all the same ride because they are slow moving vehicles/boats going scene to scene through well known and adored IPs.

For us, Spiderman and Transformers are very different rides, but we also go opening weekend to every Marvel and Transformer movie. Kong was just awesome to us, still not sure I have seen every detail, and we have rode dozens of times, but I also watch Rocky AGAIN this weekend and can't believe Creed won by split decision. We want to "Ride the Movies" and love them all, it's just personal preference.

You only have half of a day (after HP lands), make sure you really think about what you like and look over the maps and have an awesome day!

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but just wanted to say we travel to Cedar Point a couple of times a year from CT. We love that park! It has the best coasters ever! We will be back there in August:thumbsup2

From my experience it seems like you can get the stuff you HAVE to do and want to do done no problem.

Hatbox there are some water rides where the poncho will not save you

Wet undies, shoes and socks can get wet, very wet

Hatbox there are some water rides where the poncho will not save you

Wet undies, shoes and socks can get wet, very wet

How true. I'll pack extra socks in case DH insists riding, but I have a feeling we'll see wet riders getting off and decide to pass. Is the JP ride worth it? We're the biggest JP fans, but would also be very grumpy if we had to walk around wet for the 10 minutes it takes to dry off in Floridian August heat :-)

I would go to Studios first and do Diagon Alley. My reasoning for this is the IOA Forbidden Journey has a queue that is better for walking through slowly. You won't notice as long of a wait at FJ as you will at Gringotts, at least in my mind.

How true. I'll pack extra socks in case DH insists riding, but I have a feeling we'll see wet riders getting off and decide to pass. Is the JP ride worth it? We're the biggest JP fans, but would also be very grumpy if we had to walk around wet for the 10 minutes it takes to dry off in Floridian August heat :-)
It is great ride and an immersive environment

We went on Jurassic Park thrice, and the front seat got us wettest... That being said, we got "heavily misted" in the third row, the front row was wet face, rather damp chest, just splatter spots below that. Really doable and did not cause concern with phones in pockets or walking around after. It was really neat lit up at night, with no line.

In comparison, Dudley Doright flume resulted in soaking in every seat (the shape of the channel directs the splash back at you) as did the Popeye barges. Total, total soaking. Fun, but drenching. I don't mind a wet shirt, but underwear that are still wet hours later are not as enjoyable. I don't regret riding those two rides, but you just have to understand you are committed to a day of wetness or fully changing afterwards.

IOA has early admission, so I assumed going straight to Diagon Alley would make the most sense. But Touring Plans actually suggests going to IOA and riding everything else because the early admission people will have moved on to Wizarding World - hence lowest lines for Spider-Man, Kong, JP etc. Maybe that makes sense, but I don't think it'll work for me (since Harry Potter is the reason for going, and everything else is expendable/bonus).

Will doing the Mummy before heading to Diagon make a difference in Gringotts wait time?

If IOA opens early, I would hit Studios first. Jump on the Mummy first, you will have a 5 min wait. Then head over to Gringotts. The inside of the bank is so cool that you won't mind waiting. When we went Thanksgiving 2016, we hit Mummy, Transformers, MIB, and when we got to Gringotts it was only a 35 min wait.

If you find yourself in Hogsmead, all tired and hot, duck into the Hog's Head Pub. Wonderfully dark and cool, and a nice cold draft beer often hits the spot.
Is there a separate entrance or line for the pub, or do you have to wait in the (sometimes long) line for Three Broomsticks?

Is there a separate entrance or line for the pub, or do you have to wait in the (sometimes long) line for Three Broomsticks?

There is indeed an entrance directly into Hog's Head. Look for the banner. In addition to (my favorite) alcohol beverages, this is usually a quicker spot to get (my second favorite treat) Butterbeer. Hopefully this hotlinked image will work...

DSC01051-700x394.jpg

Because your hubby is a Potterhead and that is your main objective, I would go straight Diagon Alley. You will get a chance to ride Mummy as a single rider, but seeing Diagon Alley before it's filled with people is Potter Bliss. /*** Walking into Gringotts before that first room is filled is a great experience.

My biggest advice and time saver is to go bag free, if possible! The lockers take time. If we don't want to get wet, we avoid Bluto's and Dudley. But we take those $1 camping ponchos for Jurassic and throw them away when we are done. Hubby can easily fit two in a cargo pocket. We also like to share small meals so we don't over eat before a ride and also so we can try lots of things!
The food in Simpsons is just ok to us, but the environment is cool so we like to grab a snack there sometimes, or something from Bumbleman Taco Truck! lol.

I love E.T. and Cat in the Hat! i could never go to the parks and not do them.

Jurassic Park Discovery Center is for kids. No need to go there.

Because your hubby is a Potterhead and that is your main objective, I would go straight Diagon Alley. You will get a chance to ride Mummy as a single rider, but seeing Diagon Alley before it's filled with people is Potter Bliss. /*** Walking into Gringotts before that first room is filled is a great experience.

My biggest advice and time saver is to go bag free, if possible! The lockers take time. If we don't want to get wet, we avoid Bluto's and Dudley. But we take those $1 camping ponchos for Jurassic and throw them away when we are done. Hubby can easily fit two in a cargo pocket. We also like to share small meals so we don't over eat before a ride and also so we can try lots of things!
The food in Simpsons is just ok to us, but the environment is cool so we like to grab a snack there sometimes, or something from Bumbleman Taco Truck! lol.

Roger that! Straight to Gringotts it is, then.
I think we're going to try and get away with stowing a bag in an all-day locker, but I haven't gotten that far. Good to know it's worth thinking about.

I love E.T. and Cat in the Hat! i could never go to the parks and not do them.

Jurassic Park Discovery Center is for kids. No need to go there.

Thanks for the heads up about the Discovery Center! But Cat in the Hat? I never would've put that on my list - is it fun for adults? To compare, I'm glad I rode The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh once - but I don't plan to spare five minutes for it again until I take my kids.

Cat and the hat is "meh." Not bad, interesting, but not something I'd aim for in just one or two park days.

Cat and the hat is "meh." Not bad, interesting, but not something I'd aim for in just one or two park days.

Yep, cat in the hat is one to miss with limited time........rather dull! And a little weird.........

If I could give advice to anyone, my must do advice would be to read all of the Harry Potter books before going....you'll thank me. My must avoid would be Poseidon's Fury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter