Must dos for Disney newbies

hakunamatata16

It means no worries
Hi all!
This spring, I am planning a trip with 3 friends for WDW. We’re thinking 4 days/3 nights, with one day for each park. I have been to Disney World many times, but it will be all their first times and I want them to love it! We’re all in our early 20s for reference. The only real thing they for sure want to to do is drink around World Showcase but have left the rest of the planning up to me. My question is: what are few things a first timer absolutely can’t skip in each park- attractions, food, things to see? Any input will be helpful!

I would shoot for 5-7 days if you're able - having 3 first timers, you definitely want some more time on your hands in each park.
Food and attraction preferences can be so incredibly subjective. Any particular kinds of food everyone likes? Are you looking to do more table service dining or more quick service?

I go to Disney around 8-10 times a year. We often go with friends or family and I end up planning everything. I love planning our trips! What I’ve learned is that it’s really helpful to have a Disney meeting a few months out. We make it fun and usually do drinks at someone’s house. I come up with a general plan as far as what days we should do each park. You will be able to guide them with all the logistics because you will know a lot of the basics like transportation, ect.
Then the fun part.. I ask everyone what ride/ activity they want to do. Initially people usually say they don’t care but I’ve found that not to be true. Someone may have a memory of riding Small World with their grandma when they were 6. Or seeing ToT on an episode of Family Matters and wanting to ride it as a child. These are the special things that make up our trips. I think it’s important for each person to do something they want. Someone might want to shop or do a pool day. That being said, here are my favorites for newbies;
MK: HM, PP, JC, PotC, any mountain. I love Small World too. It’s such a love/hate
Lunch at Casey’s corner is always a crowd pleaser. We take it to go and make a picnic on some hub grass and watch the parade.
AK: FoP, Safari, EE. I take everyone to Yack & Yeti but that’s for selfish reasons (tuna nachos)
HS: ToT, RotR
Epcot: lots of drinks and food. People love Les Halles.
I find a way to get everyone on the Skyliner too. It’s just too much fun.
All of these suggestions are pre-Covid. I have no idea how things will be by spring.

Most important advice I can give is don't try to schedule everything, let the magic come naturally. Under normal circumstances I'd say find out the 2-3 things that would make/break everybody's trip and Fastpass those, but that's a pre-COVID tip.

I would recommend adding a rest day in between your 4 park days for recuperation/Disney Springs, especially if Drink Around the World is involved (I'd also recommend against Drink Around the World at all due to the heat/expense but I get the sense that's not an option).

I would shoot for 5-7 days if you're able - having 3 first timers, you definitely want some more time on your hands in each park.
Food and attraction preferences can be so incredibly subjective. Any particular kinds of food everyone likes? Are you looking to do more table service dining or more quick service?
Thanks for your reply!
For food, we’re thinking something along the lines of ordering groceries and packing breakfast and doing mostly QS with maybe one or two TS restaurants. I know they like Italian so I was thinking maybe Via Napoli for the sit down?

Thanks for your reply!
For food, we’re thinking something along the lines of ordering groceries and packing breakfast and doing mostly QS with maybe one or two TS restaurants. I know they like Italian so I was thinking maybe Via Napoli for the sit down?
There are several restaurants with excellent Italian food on property. Via Napoli is good; Tutto Italia is very good as well. Topolino's Terrace (Riviera Resort) is both Italian and French; that's currently my favorite restaurant on property. Il Mulino (Swan) is excellent. Maria and Enzo's and Terralina (Disney Springs) are also both very good.

I go to Disney around 8-10 times a year. We often go with friends or family and I end up planning everything. I love planning our trips! What I’ve learned is that it’s really helpful to have a Disney meeting a few months out. We make it fun and usually do drinks at someone’s house. I come up with a general plan as far as what days we should do each park. You will be able to guide them with all the logistics because you will know a lot of the basics like transportation, ect.
Then the fun part.. I ask everyone what ride/ activity they want to do. Initially people usually say they don’t care but I’ve found that not to be true. Someone may have a memory of riding Small World with their grandma when they were 6. Or seeing ToT on an episode of Family Matters and wanting to ride it as a child. These are the special things that make up our trips. I think it’s important for each person to do something they want. Someone might want to shop or do a pool day. That being said, here are my favorites for newbies;
MK: HM, PP, JC, PotC, any mountain. I love Small World too. It’s such a love/hate
Lunch at Casey’s corner is always a crowd pleaser. We take it to go and make a picnic on some hub grass and watch the parade.
AK: FoP, Safari, EE. I take everyone to Yack & Yeti but that’s for selfish reasons (tuna nachos)
HS: ToT, RotR
Epcot: lots of drinks and food. People love Les Halles.
I find a way to get everyone on the Skyliner too. It’s just too much fun.
All of these suggestions are pre-Covid. I have no idea how things will be by spring.
Thanks for your reply! I really like the planning aspect too. I’m glad you mentioned usually your friends don’t care too much about planning at first because that’s the boat I’m in, so having a little get together to throw around some ideas sounds great plan! And thank you for all your suggestions, I’ll write them on my list (especially the skyliner!).

Most important advice I can give is don't try to schedule everything, let the magic come naturally. Under normal circumstances I'd say find out the 2-3 things that would make/break everybody's trip and Fastpass those, but that's a pre-COVID tip.

I would recommend adding a rest day in between your 4 park days for recuperation/Disney Springs, especially if Drink Around the World is involved (I'd also recommend against Drink Around the World at all due to the heat/expense but I get the sense that's not an option).
Haha I had the same thoughts about drinking around the world on a 4 day trip, but that was the one thing they were adamant about doing (of course, lol).
I think the 2-3 make or break things is a good route since I don’t want to overwhelm them with being over scheduled but I also still want them to feel like they got their money’s worth.

I love that the first reply is to double the length of your trip lol. I’m sure they thought that part through already.......

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!