my dd3 has cancer, do I need a GAC?

Tomskatt

<font color=olive>Why can't a 42 yr old man put hi
I really am not sure what I need... how's that for a start? :) My daughter has leukemia and we are taking her to WDW on an impromptu trip in 2 1/2 weeks. She needs to stay out of the sun due to her meds and her legs cannot hold her up for very long. I can probably use a stroller so she doesn't look any "different" than the other kids, which means a lot to her and her brothers. My question is by NOT using a wheelchair, am I making it more difficult for her to get the assistance she may need at some point? Does this make any sense? I am getting so upset .... all I want is for my baby to get to see "Real Princesses".... This is not her Make A Wish trip, but I still think she should be treated like Royalty. princess:
She deserves it!

I am not certain what to advise you about a GAC but I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for your daughter and your family.

I just read your web site and you touched my heart. Enjoy your trip with your princess! She is sure a beautiful little doll! :thumbsup2

Thank you! I'll take prayers over advice anytime! :sunny:

When you get to the parks go to one of there guest relations amd make sure you get the Guest assistance Card (GAC) for her not being able to stand in the sun. Also there is a GAC that allows you to use the stroller as a wheelchair in the lines thoughout the parks.
I really hope you have a wonderful trip!
(((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
jen

exactly right - i would like to add - - ignore people who may chose to stare at your or give you dirty looks when you go in the wheelchair entrance at some of the rides, ok? They do not understand, and some just make judegements.

you guys have a great time!!! have a character meal somewhere - that's really one on one attention!
Sue

Just be sure when you get the GAC that you explain what the needs are and not the diagnoses (which they are not suposed to ask for anyway).

Tomskatt said:
I really am not sure what I need... how's that for a start? :) My daughter has leukemia and we are taking her to WDW on an impromptu trip in 2 1/2 weeks. She needs to stay out of the sun due to her meds and her legs cannot hold her up for very long. I can probably use a stroller so she doesn't look any "different" than the other kids, which means a lot to her and her brothers. My question is by NOT using a wheelchair, am I making it more difficult for her to get the assistance she may need at some point? Does this make any sense? I am getting so upset .... all I want is for my baby to get to see "Real Princesses".... This is not her Make A Wish trip, but I still think she should be treated like Royalty. princess:
She deserves it!
I had a reply all writen last night and then the boards went down for maintenance.
I wanted to clarify something that wasn't addressed by the others:
My question is by NOT using a wheelchair, am I making it more difficult for her to get the assistance she may need at some point?
There is a common misconception that there are some "wheelchair priviledges" that people using wheelchairs get. A lot of people assume that using a wheelchair gets you front of the line (or some kind of expedited access). It doesn't. Most of the lines are wheelchair accessible and there are very few attractions with wheelchair entrances, so usually the only "priviledge" that a wheelchair user has over other people is a place to sit while they wait. And that's not a priviledge - that's a necessity for many people.
So, using a stroller for your DD will not make her miss out on any assistance that she would otherwise get.
in addition, the wheelchairs that they rent at WDW (and from most of the off-site rental places) would not be appropriate or comfortable for a 3 yr old. They are mostly adult sized wheelchair. Your DD would be much more comfortable in a stroller (and like you said, would look a lot less "different"). With a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) that allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair, her stroller would be treated the same as a wheelchair (that is, you can bring it into lines, buildings, shows and into the boarding areas where strollers are not usually allowed). There are some rides that have a special ride car for wheelchairs - you would generally not be able to use those because they are designed for wheelchairs and a stroller would either not be the correct size or wouldn't be safe in them.

If you haven't already done so, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is an explanation about GACs in there. As was already mentioned, be ready to explain your DD's needs (ie, a place to wait out of the sun, being able to bring the stroller in line with you because she has endurance problems).

have a great time and ask any other questions you can think of. :Pinkbounc

I hope you have a Magical Trip. I will keep you and your lovely princess in my thoughts and prayers.

I think that your beautiful daughter will really benefit from the GAC. I found that the best place to get it is in Town Hall in MK.

More than likely it will enable your party to avoid a lot of lines and waiting and get her out of the sun when she needs it. It also gives them a heads up that in case a ride might be too intense for her or something that they can intervene. It gives them an idea that there is a person on the ride that needs some special care.

Ours was very useful especially on our day at animal kingdom on the safari ride. There is a lot of standing around and waiting and that was hard for our Charlie. It is also very very hot at AK (at least in June when we went) and the less time we were just standing the better he did in general.

I never thought that we would be able to do WDW with our son, but the GAC made it possible. I wish we could go back soon, but finances are limited.

Good luck with your trip. You all deserve lots of magic and I am sure it will be there waiting for you at Disney.

Jan

Also sending out prayers and happiness and all that is good to your daughter, yourself, and your family! Have a fun wonderful trip! :goodvibes :thumbsup2 :sunny: :woohoo: :lovestruc :banana:

When you go to get your GAC just let them know you need to use your stroller as a wheel Chair. We do this when we go. It does help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter