My Disney College Program- Maybe this will help you! Things you need to know

kristinamae

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! This is my first thread post on a forum ever & I'd appreciate if after reading you responded as I am posting to help with an assignment for a class!

I am willing to answer any question you might have about the DCP in general or my personal experience as a Disney College Programer. After my experiences on my program it's safe to say I consider myself an expert. Ask away, it's encouraged!

I completed the Disney College Program my Fall semester of my Junior year of college. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'm originally from Maryland and go to school in Maryland, so moving to Florida alone for the program was a big deal for me. I did my program without the comfort of any friends from school or home; I think this was the best way to do it! If I would have come to Florida for my DCP with friends, I don't think I would have been as free to make new ones as I was. Experiencing something new with a completely free mind is the best way to immerse yourself fully into your new surroundings.

I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment in Chatham with three other girls. Chatham was a great complex and I always felt safe. Security guards were always making their rounds. We were all 20, so we were in wellness housing. If you're someone who likes to have a good time and occasionally party, I'd suggest completing your program after you turn 21. I regretted this because although I was able to go out and to a few parties while I was there, I think I would have enjoyed myself more if I would have been 21. HoB does have their 18+ nights which is such a good time if you like dancing, crowds and great music. It's also a great way to meet new people that maybe you don't work with or live near. I met a lot of friends not in the program on my nights at the HoB.

I was assigned to the Merchandising role, which was my second choice. My first choice was character attendant, and in hindsight I am very happy I wasn't given my first choice. My roommate who I shared a room with was a character attendant, and she was always telling me crazy stories about her day; guests can get pretty upset if their kids are denied a picture with Goofy. Merchandising ended up being a lot more laid back.

I worked in Magic Kingdom, in Main Entrance Merchandise. This included Stroller/Wheelchair/ECV rental, Locker Shop, and Newsstand. It wasn't the prettiest of merchandise locations, let me tell you. I rented out strollers, wheelchairs, and lockers. I stood around all day, rain or shine. But the location and the cast members made it all worth it. Every night I worked I was able to have a fantastic view of both the Main Street Electrical Parade, and Wishes. I was able to work both Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Parties and Mickey's Christmas parties. I wore the crazy themed main street costumes for these ticket-only parties. For the Halloween Parties, it was always a fun time seeing children and families dressed to in their Halloween best. Oftentimes, we were the second group of cast members the guests saw when arriving, right after the Main Entrance Greeters. I loved giving guests that first experience of magic in the park, enthusiastically greeting them or helping them with whatever they needed.

At first I was very disappointed in the role I was assigned. But even though I wasn't a character, a character attendant, or an attractions cast member, I was still able to help in the mission of giving guests a magical experience and that's really what it's all about. My advice would be to never underestimate an opportunity the Disney College Program throws at you. Embrace it with everything you have, and you will receive positive outcomes.

There are so many things I could go on about, from living with my three totally different roommates, being able to play in the parks for free, activities and things to do around Orlando, the friends I made or romances that ensued... And I'm willing to share them all with you.

Kristina, DCP Fall 2011

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter