My experience, my thoughts with housekeeping that might resonate with Disney resorts

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Just thought I would comment on thoughts on housekeeping. Not at a Disney resort right now, but in the Caymans.

We will be here for 10 days on Wednesday, the day we leave. I have refused house keeping every day until today. And this is awkward. Being in the room here with the maid cleaning is so odd. I did tip her a good amount, but had to insist she take it.

During my Disney resort stays I have always liked coming back to a clean room even though now most of my stays are going to be DVC and I am adjusting to that.

But let me add this, I went to the maid and told everything was fine and she didn't need to mop, but her response was that it needed to be mopped because of how hard it is too clean when guest check out who have refused housekeeping. Yikes!!

It is awkward to be in the room while they are cleaning hence why I would have left for 20-30 minutes.

I think how hard it is to clean depends on how many people are staying in the room, how much time they spend in the room, and how long the stay is.
At Disney I'm out at 7:45am and back at about 11pm. The area that gets the most use is the bathroom and even that is pretty minimal.
My sister and I deferred housekeeping last week. It was just us, barely there, and it was only a 4 night stay.

What do you mean about adjusting to DVC stays? Is there a difference with housekeeping and DVC stays? I am renting points. Will I be able to get daily housekeeping? Will i be able to refuse it?

What do you mean about adjusting to DVC stays? Is there a difference with housekeeping and DVC stays? I am renting points. Will I be able to get daily housekeeping? Will i be able to refuse it?

No, when renting points you don't get daily house keeping unless you arrange it and pay for it. There is nothing to refuse since it's not included. I don't think even the actual DVC owners themselves get daily house keeping. I think you get trash removal and new towels on day 4 and a room cleaning on the 8th day.

No, when renting points you don't get daily house keeping unless you arrange it and pay for it. There is nothing to refuse since it's not included. I don't think even the actual DVC owners themselves get daily house keeping. I think you get trash removal and new towels on day 4 and a room cleaning on the 8th day.
This!

We're DVC members, they are now coming daily to empty the trash(They might have done towels too, don't remember.) It changed with the implementation of daily room checks at all the resorts. We liked having them come in and get the trash.

We're DVC members, they are now coming daily to empty the trash(They might have done towels too, don't remember.) It changed with the implementation of daily room checks at all the resorts. We liked having them come in and get the trash.
Correct, but other than that staying in a DVC room on points is staying in a timeshare room. You don't get housekeeping daily, as owners try to keep their maintenance fees down. If you are staying less than 8 days, day 4 is "trash and towel day", and day 8 is a full cleaning. Now that they have daily security checks, they supposedly empty trash daily (although many have said that doesn't always happen). So if you are staying on rented points, you will not get daily housekeeping unless you pay extra for it. You can request it when you check in.
Denise

As the others have said. No to both

If you want daily full housekeeping you can get it. But there is a fee that you will pay for each day you get the service For seven nights or fewer stay, you will get your towels replaced and amenities refreshed on day 4 with day 1 as the day you check in. You will not get your sheet replaced at all. If you stay eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and towels and amenities replaced on day 8. For longer stays, the cycle repeats.

Fees for extra services are:
Housekeeping
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of seven or less nights, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day four, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel service, Housekeeping will:

•Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins.
•Provide fresh bathroom linens.
•Replace shampoo, facial soap and bath soap.
•Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.
•Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners.
•Replenish dishwashing liquid, dishwashing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent as needed in one-, two- and three-bedroom Vacation Homes.

Full Cleaning Service
For stays of eight or more nights, Full Cleaning Service is provided on day four and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day 12, regardless of whether you're using Member-discounted cash, Vacation Points or a combination of both.

With Full Cleaning service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:

•Change the bed linens.
•Vacuum and dust the Vacation Home.
•Clean the bathroom(s).
•Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes.

Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

•Toiletries Package, $5.00 - 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
•Coffee Package, $3.00 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
•Towel Package, $6.00 - 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
•Laundry Detergent (only in One-, Two-, and Three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box

Additional Full Cleaning Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $30.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $45.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $60.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $75.00 per day requested

Additional Trash & Towel Rates:

•Studio/Inn Room - $15.00 per day requested
•One-Bedroom - $20.00 per day requested
•Two-Bedroom - $25.00 per day requested
•Three-Bedroom - $35.00 per day requested

Room Change Fees:
Room change fee will apply for Member requested room changes after check-in for a different view or room location.

•Deluxe Studio - $30
•One-Bedroom Villa - $45
•Two-Bedroom Villa - $60
•Three-Bedroom Grand Villa - $75

Note: Rates are subject to change

Last edited:
It’s like a neat person vs a messy person (like me) at home. If you clean up every day you never have to work too hard or too long. If you go ages in between cleanings, it takes much longer!

Agreed.

When I first bought into DVC I wasn't sure how I would take to the lack of daily maid service, but as it turns out I don't miss it at all. I don't have someone coming to my house every day to clean and when I'm at home I don't get new towels out every day, and I also don't need either of those things on vacation. And it's annoying when going back to your room to relax and finding a maid there in the process of cleaning it. Days 4, 8, etc. are just fine with us.

One more time. For stays of seven nights or less, you get trash removed, towels and amenities replaced on day 4 (day 1 is check in day). For stays of eight nights or more, full cleaning on Day 4 and trash/towel service on day 8. They also will pick up trash daily for the safety check. But they might not get all the trash. Full cleaning comes before trash/towel service for eight nights or more.

We always refuse housekeeping no matter where we stay, places other than Disney we travel with our small dog and don't want to risk her being let out if we aren't in the room. I always pick up after us every day, we travel with a hanging toiletry bag so we don't leave stuff out in the bathroom, it just gets put back in the bag after we use it. I'm an unpacker so our clothes are put up and when we use them, I just fold them and put them back in the suitcase so all dirty clothes are on the bottom when we get home. I just have to take any clean clothes off the top and dump the rest in the washing machine. If we have a lot of trash in the trash can, we usually empty it when we see a maid cart, our dog uses potty pads most of the time so those have to be put in an individual bag and tied up then thrown out pretty frequent. I just don't like people in our room. We hang our towel up when we are done every day and about every third day will ask for clean ones.

Just thought I would comment on thoughts on housekeeping. Not at a Disney resort right now, but in the Caymans.

We will be here for 10 days on Wednesday, the day we leave. I have refused house keeping every day until today. And this is awkward. Being in the room here with the maid cleaning is so odd. I did tip her a good amount, but had to insist she take it.

During my Disney resort stays I have always liked coming back to a clean room even though now most of my stays are going to be DVC and I am adjusting to that.

But let me add this, I went to the maid and told everything was fine and she didn't need to mop, but her response was that it needed to be mopped because of how hard it is too clean when guest check out who have refused housekeeping. Yikes!!

As far as the actual amount of time housekeeping spends cleaning a room--wonder how it's been working out for them since guests now get gift cards based on length of stay?? So, if you decline it, that saves Disney more money to not have to have the amount/frequency of housekeepers on site to clean but they gave the guest a gift. But if it takes mousekeeping more time to clean a room in the end, well, did Disney save any money? Guess it's not our problem, pretty sure they're always making $$. :rolleyes:

But from the guest perspective, we only stay usually between 3-5 nights so the amount of the GC offered to me isn't enough for me to decline it. I like coming back to a made bed, no trash overflowing and clean towels. We usually snack/eat breakfast in our room so our trash fills up fast with 4 ppl. I know I can just call down for that at no charge but I'd rather not hassle with it all on vacation.

As far as the actual amount of time housekeeping spends cleaning a room--wonder how it's been working out for them since guests now get gift cards based on length of stay?? So, if you decline it, that saves Disney more money to not have to have the amount/frequency of housekeepers on site to clean but they gave the guest a gift. But if it takes mousekeeping more time to clean a room in the end, well, did Disney save any money? Guess it's not our problem, pretty sure they're always making $$. :rolleyes:

That's a fair question. But it seems to me housekeeping is already so understaffed, even regardless of the amount of people opting out for the gift cards. We were at CSR for 10 days a few weeks ago and did not opt out, and housekeeping was poor the entire time we were there. Never swept, never changed sheets, never wiped the mirrors, never refilled the toiletry dispensers in the shower. All they did each day was empty the trash, make the bed, and replenish the towels. They seem in a big rush and I suspect its due to the number of rooms they are assigned.

That's a fair question. But it seems to me housekeeping is already so understaffed, even regardless of the amount of people opting out for the gift cards. We were at CSR for 10 days a few weeks ago and did not opt out, and housekeeping was poor the entire time we were there. Never swept, never changed sheets, never wiped the mirrors, never refilled the toiletry dispensers in the shower. All they did each day was empty the trash, make the bed, and replenish the towels. They seem in a big rush and I suspect its due to the number of rooms they are assigned.

That's disappointing. For that amount of time, I would have asked for a gift card LOL!!! Like most things at disney, it gets more pricey but yet they cut out more CM!!

I have wondered if DVC will ever require a minimum length of stay because of housekeeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter