My experiences with Mobility Devices (temporary mobility issues)

Chirple

DIS Veteran
Hi! I wanted to follow up on my experiences utilizing mobility devices while on our WDW/DCL vacation from which we just returned on Saturday. This will be long because I wanted to give details should anyone find themselves in a similar situation. (Here’s the original thread where I received some excellent advice: https://www.disboards.com/threads/advice-on-mobility-device-plans.3782768/

I decided to rent from Scooterbug since I did not need to be present when delivered or picked up. It was my first time using an ECV, and I was nervous about the on/off bus action so I purposely skipped HS and decided to stick with EP and MK only (we were at BLT). I am able to walk up and down stairs without assistance.
  • I used my Rollator at the airport, which came in handy to move our soft-sided carry on bags as well. The TSA agent at EWR offered me a wooden cane to get through the metal detector (we have TSA Pre-Check), but I did not need it. They took my Rollator to the side for a full swab while I walked through and bags went through screening. Once we were cleared, we collected our items and went to our gate.
  • The gate agents for JetBlue were really confused about what I wanted to do with my Rollator. I asked them to provide me with a tag so that I could claim it at the gate vs. baggage claim. It took a couple of tries, but they finally got it.
  • I had purchased a stroller bag to keep my Rollator clean and compact. My husband and I used the guests-needing-assistance early boarding opportunity to give us time to bag and tag the device at the plane entrance.
  • We did not have a long wait to get it back once we landed at MCO, but we waited until we cleared the jetway to pull it out so that I could shove the bag into a carry on.
  • We used DME to transport us, and the driver put my Rollator under the bus. We were offered the reserved seats at the front of the bus, which we took. However, I find them uncomfortable since I can’t stretch my legs out so we declined them going forward.
  • Since our room was not ready, we left our carry on bags with Bell Services at BLT. Even though the Scooterbug reservation form allows you to choose BLT as a pickup/dropoff location, they are actually provided at The Contemporary’s Bell Services desk (inside). I used my Rollator to walk over to The Contemporary for lunch.
  • Once we received the text with our villa number, we stopped at Bell Services to get my ECV. I had never driven one in my life, but it was so easy to use—backing up, in/out of elevators, adjusting speed, etc. We headed back to BLT to collect our carry on bags; my husband pushed my Rollator.
  • I had plenty of room to drive through the doorway and into the room (1 bedroom villa) without moving any furniture. I turned it around so it was pointed towards the door and parallel parked it in front of the dresser under the TV. It was challenging getting it out the door in the morning when I was alone, and I only ran over my foot twice!
  • The next morning I wanted to head to EP but did not want to deal with rope drop so I stayed back a bit and then used the monorail, which included the transfer at the TTC. Some people were joking with me to clear a path, but I was still pretty new at speed control and told them I was going slow on purpose.
  • Getting into EP was really easy, even with all of the construction. The paths were wide with good visibility. My first stop was at a Joffrey’s cart to get coffee. Since I already had a seat, I stayed on my ECV to drink it after walking over to purchase it. Even as World Showcase got a bit more crowded for Festival of the Arts, I was fine driving the ECV. NOTE: I was able to drive with one hand and keep my left hand on the speed control so that I could slow down/speed up as needed. When I stopped the device, it came to a sudden stop; I did not want anyone behind me to stop short.
  • Returning to BLT from EP was a bit challenging. The monorail was not running (very high winds) between EP and the TTC so we had to be bused over to the TTC. When I arrived at our stop, I began entering the line queue. The CM saw me and told me to come to the front so I could board first. This was not a short line, and I really felt terrible about bypassing everyone. Once I drove the scooter on to the bus, the driver offered to park it for me. He also asked if I wanted to sit in it, and I did say I would to free up a regular seat for someone else; he then insisted I take a regular seat. The resort monorail was running so we took it to The Contemporary.
  • Day 2 we went to MK. The path between BLT and MK is under construction, and there are a lot of sharp blind spots. I almost got hit by someone with a stroller who came around a corner too fast. I was on the right side, and they did not stay to the right from the opposite direction. MK was pretty crowded but keeping my hand on the speed control worked well. I was nervous about the moving walkways on Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan, but I was fine walking on them. I did leave the ECV parked and walked the FP queues. Same with 7DMT.
  • We were meeting friends in Disney Springs so we stopped at the room to drop off the ECV and grab my Rollator for the bus. We held it closed while riding, and it was easy to get around with it.
  • The next day (Saturday) we were taking the DCL bus to the port so once again we put the Rollator under the bus. I didn’t use it much throughout the cruise, and I was able to walk on my own during all of my excursions (including one to the fort in San Juan). I only asked my husband for his arm when our guide took us down a steep ramp where there was no rail. I used the Rollator as a place to sit prior to the Star Wars Day at Sea show on deck 11 but then stood to watch.
I would definitely recommend getting a mobility device if you are experiencing any type of pain when walking or standing. Overall, other guests were really nice and accommodating towards me.

Thank you so much for sharing this detailed information and the link to the other thread!

We are leaving soon for our land/sea trip and I am waiting on MRI results to see what I am dealing with. Right now I am hobbling around with a cane, but my family is trying to convince me to go the ECV route. Reading information like what you shared helps ease my worry/stress a bit!

Thank you so much for sharing this detailed information and the link to the other thread!

We are leaving soon for our land/sea trip and I am waiting on MRI results to see what I am dealing with. Right now I am hobbling around with a cane, but my family is trying to convince me to go the ECV route. Reading information like what you shared helps ease my worry/stress a bit!
granted my cane has been a life saver for me but for me I would do both. use the cane for help getting on and off rides esp the moving ramp ones for me and the ECV for distances. so yes I have been there and done. if worried about buses always had drivers who were ready to help and was never allowed to remain on ECV always had to take a seat. have a great trip

If there is any doubt I would get the ECV. I have used one both in the parks and on a ship, and it was a lifesaver when I was still dependent on my cane.

Thank you Betty and eeyoreandtink! I did hear from the ortho and I do have a PCL tear and an ACL sprain. I get to pick up my knee brace tomorrow. However the concerning thing is some abnormalities with the bone marrow in my femur. Apparently that is causing a good part of the leg pain. Tomorrow I get blood work to see if they can figure that out.

Looks like I will be confirming the ECV rental tomorrow, calling the airline for assistance, and ordering a folding cane for easy storage.

I am determined that I will not let this ruin the trip. Just going to have to make some modifications!

Thank you Betty and eeyoreandtink! I did hear from the ortho and I do have a PCL tear and an ACL sprain. I get to pick up my knee brace tomorrow. However the concerning thing is some abnormalities with the bone marrow in my femur. Apparently that is causing a good part of the leg pain. Tomorrow I get blood work to see if they can figure that out.

Looks like I will be confirming the ECV rental tomorrow, calling the airline for assistance, and ordering a folding cane for easy storage.

I am determined that I will not let this ruin the trip. Just going to have to make some modifications!
You can do it!

Good luck and keep your chin up!

@mzspaz, you will be so much happier with the ECV. I forgot to mention in my original post that if I wanted to shop I found parking the scooter in a non-obstructive spot and walked into the stores. I tried using it in the temporary MouseGear store, but it was easier for me to be on two feet.

I saw my ortho yesterday. While the cyst inside my knee is still healing (the tear and subsequent fluid build-up is what caused the horrible swelling), he is pleased with the lack of swelling and with how well I responded to the gel injection for the arthritis. He's going to give me gel shot #2 in my right knee and gel shot #1 in my left knee in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter