My first trip to WDW / Orlando

CURTIS

Earning My Ears
Im comming over for my first trip to WDW in June and i have had some good / bad advise from many people. I have a couple of question if someone could help ease my piece of mind.

1) I have heard a couple of horrible stories of children going missing while at Disney. Is this true ???? Or are they just scare stories.Im starting to get rather paranoid as i have two small children 5 & 6 who seem to try and escape me at every opertunity. Im starting to think some sort of rains may be be required as they are to large for buggies. Someone please put my mind at rest.

2) Do i need a car ? We will be staying at I drive . Some people say a car is a must. Others say the bus services to the parks/main areas are great and you don't need one. Who's right. Can someone give me their info.

Thanks for your help.....

First of all, there are just as many success stories. WDW is full of children and CM's are well trained to handle those types of things.

Second, of course it could happen. It could happen at your local grocery store, but there are some things you can do...

Explain to them in no uncertain terms that the amount of "strangers" at WDW will be the most amount of strangers that they will ever see. Therefore, they NEED to stay with you. Let them know how much you love them and that their safety is imperative. If they don't, tell them that you will turn around a head back to the hotel! Obviously, you didn't spend all this money to do that, but just heading toward the exit should be enough. The important part is that they know you mean business!!

The other thing you could try is letting them go where ever they want...as long as they have a grown-up in hand. After all, you want them to enjoy their first trip and seeing it through their eyes might make your trip more enjoyable, too!

They do sell those leashes and reins for kids, but I hardly think it will encourage your kids to cooperate. As a matter of fact, it might have exactly the opposite effect and start the vacation off on a very sour note.

Also, it is not an unusual sight to see 5 & 6 year olds in strollers at Disney. WDW is a very large place and little legs WILL get tired, so don't rule out a stoller just yet. They are not "baby" strollers. I think they are more geared for bigger kids anyway.

Lastly, a car is usually personal preference, but on I-drive, it's probably a good idea, if you can swing the cost. Not only to get to the parks, but to hop between parks, or get to Downtown Disney, or Boardwalk, or restaurants for character meals, or other hotels, or sightseeing, or shopping...
There's just alot more flexibilty and if you visit the budget or transportation boards, you could find some help on getting a good deal on a car.

I know this was long, but I hope I helped in some small way. Relax and enjoy your first trip. If you worry too much, the magic might pass you by...
:D

Thanks Mperry for your kind reply. I will try to teach the little devils to try and sit still before we go so we can all relax. Im now alot happier as i know that its not a big problem and is just as unlikley to happen as a trip to the local shops.

Thanks Curtis

I, too, was so worried prior to our first trip about losing one of my kids. My younger son, who was two at the time, was the type of child who got a real kick out of running away and hiding from me. I talked to him about strangers, but it didn't seem to have much impact. Everything turned out just fine. He was so busy watching everything that he didn't mind holding my hand. I think he was also slightly intimidated by the crowds so he had no desire to leave my side. We really didn't have any problems with him the entire time we were at WDW, except for on one occasion when he tried to jump off the dock at the Jungle Cruise! I agree that you need to stress that you mean business. Your children are old enough to understand that if they don't cooperate and stick to you like glue, that you will leave the park and go sit in the hotel room.

While getting carried away with my long-winded reply, I neglected to welcome you to the boards!

WELCOME!! But beware, once you start, it's hard to stop! :eek:

;)

Our 4 y/o got lost at Islands of Adventure and, though it was only for about 3 minutes, it was terrifying. To make matters worse, the area where she was lost was surrounded by a lagoon and I was worried that she might have fallen in. It was fenced off, but you know how your mind wanders. As we were trying to find her, I looked out at a sea of long haired blonde children and wanted to scream. Suddenly my husband eyed her and ran over to the next ride just as a cast member was trying to comfort her. It was terrifying for us, but apparently not for her, because on our next trip she did something similar at MK. When we found her, she was adamant that she wasn't lost -- she knew exactly where she was. We tried to keep a special eye on her but she just darted off and, with the amount of people at MK, she was quickly lost from sight.

Attraction areas at WDW are much more closed in, there's a CM near every exit/entrance and they will usually stop an unoccupied child from wandering too far which is a great help.

I'm not trying to scare you again after the comforting responses you got, but simply to say that sometimes it happens and, fortunately for us, everything turned out okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!