My Las Vegas Trip

Luv0fDisney

DIS Veteran
Hello! Just got back from a week in Las Vegas. It was fun!
I stayed at the Excalibur which used to be my favorite hotel. But not any more. I stayed first for 3 days 2 nights because I had used points from a facebook game. Then I booked a room there for the last 2 days. On the last day of my first part of the trip I had to sign out and sign back in. Since I was thinking of changing rooms, I stayed on line at the registration for 40 minutes only to be put back in the same room...i could have stayed in the same room and re-booked it from the concierge desk. Then for the next 2 days my room was NOT cleaned...That same day and the next. Don't worry I did tip the maid for his/her work for the past 2 nights (a total of $5.00...a very generous tip). They took the tip, opened the blinds and ran... without cleaning!! So I did NOT tip when I signed out the second time.

I did have some good times. Spent an hour or so with my brother's fiance, the day I got into town since she was my ride from the airport. She treated me to a coffee from Starbucks. Then the next night we (my brother, his fiance and myself) went to dinner because it was their bday celebrations, but we ended up going to a all you can eat sushi place. I am not a big sushi eater so I treated myself to a pretzel or something afterwards in the food court at my hotel.

Some pointers for Vegas....

If it is your first time, I highly recommend trying to stay somewhere on the strip. You can get to many hotels from the MGM Grand via monorail! I have stayed at The Flamingo and Bally's. I would recommend Bally's over Flamingo for 2 reasons, 1.) our walk to our room was really outragous as well as the location of the monorail. 2.)Bally's arrangement of the rooms/monorail was very nice. I highly recommend the monorail. Goes all the way down to the West Gate Hotel. I highly recommend seeing the beautiful flower arrangement in the Bellagio! They have different scenes different times of the year.

If you have approximately 1-2 hours to spare in your time, located at Bally's is a TV program where you watch a tv show (whether new/old) you get $20.00 for FREE! *Must be out of state visitor*

If you are getting around town on the RTC bus to an off strip location, use the GPS in your phone. It locates your exact location so you know when to hop off/on. (There's a Walmart on Tropicana Ave...I visited it because the soda's at food courts at Hotels are $3.95 per cup.) The RTC on the Strip located outside near M&M World takes you DOWNTOWN to the Freemont Experience. Downtown also offers McDonalds, and small stores to buy souvenir's for cheaper than the Strip... Key-chains $0.97 to $2.50 (4 for $10.00)...T Shirts ($2.97-$6.97) etc. I bought 4 tshirts, 1 greeting card, 4 key-chains, 2 coin purses, 4 postcards for under $40.00 at one location)

My hotel room at Excalibur had a connecting/adjoining room door to a complete strangers room... For safety (other than the lock on the door), I placed one of the chairs from the room directly in front of the door. If you don't know the people in the other room, I highly suggest this safety feature since many intruder's if wanted can possibly break a lock, and always keep your "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door so no one can bother you unless you order maid service.

I stay at the Desert Rose, which is located right behind The Tropicana and Hooters. It is very quiet, you can look it up. They have one and two bedrooms, full kitchen, bbq's. Full laundry , and have a gym, pool, jacuzzi, and a baby pool. Within walking distance to the other hotels at that end of the strip and still close to the airport.

I stay at the Desert Rose, which is located right behind The Tropicana and Hooters. It is very quiet, you can look it up. They have one and two bedrooms, full kitchen, bbq's. Full laundry , and have a gym, pool, jacuzzi, and a baby pool. Within walking distance to the other hotels at that end of the strip and still close to the airport.

I was looking at staying here. As a family of 5, we would need to rooms on the strip. Do you know how late the pool is open? One of the reasons I want to stay off strip is that their pools seem very crowded and close at 7. Not the the best for families with kids.

I was looking at staying here. As a family of 5, we would need to rooms on the strip. Do you know how late the pool is open? One of the reasons I want to stay off strip is that their pools seem very crowded and close at 7. Not the the best for families with kids.
The pool hours are 8 am to 11 pm. I also love it there as the place is gated.

I stay at the Desert Rose.
I wanted to check their rates as a comparison. It appears the hotel is under renovations until August 2017 when I looked on Expedia.

Do taxi's to the Desert Rose long haul you on the freeway when arriving at the airport?

I wanted to check their rates as a comparison. It appears the hotel is under renovations until August 2017 when I looked on Expedia.

Do taxi's to the Desert Rose long haul you on the freeway when arriving at the airport?

Taxis will long haul you everywhere if they can. Just be sure that you be specific about the route you want to take, or say "shortest distance" (which is objective) rather than "fastest" (which gives the driver the option to go wherever they want due to "traffic" or whatever other excuse they want to make up). It's best if you can look at a map beforehand so you know exactly which route they should be taking. If the driver sees that you are knowledgable, I don't think they will take the chance to long haul you.

A taxi will take you where you need to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!