My MDE is overloaded; IT wants to create 2nd account and transfer only current items.

Amanda999

DIS Veteran
**ETA: See post #111 - I went ahead and created a new MDE acct w/IT. Success!**

Called Disney's IT because no MBs (or cards) appear on my MDE. Everything else is there - ADRs, resorts, FP, tickets.

Disney's IT says I have too many past reservations/MBs/ADRs/trips and, thus, they cannot fix my MDE account. Rather, they have to open a new MDE account for me (with me, over the phone), and transfer only the current items to it.

1. Does this sound plausible - that I have to open a new MDE account? (And that they will leave behind all my prior trip info out of my new MDE.)

2. If so, should I wait until after our next trip - April? (Also going in August. Can't choose MB for August unless this is fixed or I can do it over the phone with IT, they said.) I'm concerned that if they transfer a FP/ADR/MB incorrectly then I will be stuck going to GS several times. But maybe my overloaded MDE will cause other problems - so I should have it done before the trip?

3. Any downside to losing the past history? (I think it's clear that there are no loyalty perks?)

I wish I could just pay them $10 to buy more memory for their computer so MDE could hold more info. :)

Last edited:
I have read reports here on the Dis of at least two others that had to have new accounts created due to the number of MB's and trips. Apparently all of your reservations past and present and even ones that were changed or canceled stay on your account.

I am afraid I am headed in that direction as well; as right now I can't see any MB's at all on my account and we had already pared it down to just a few for each of us. An hour + call to IT in order to deactivate/delete old bands and it apparently didn't work as predicted.

I have an onsite trip coming up next week with family (8 total) and I am in charge of everything so I am just hoping all the MB's work. I should see one band each for my sil, niece, nephews and mother in law that were customized with the resort stay as well as an old one for me and 3 for each of my dd's and there is nothing.

I also can't look at AP room discounts even though the website clearly shows mine is active until August, it takes me to the page to purchase an AP.

I feel your frustration OP - hope you get it resolved :)

I would think it would be easier for them to delete old trip history than to create a 2nd MDE account, which to me sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I asked that. They said they can't delete anything.

For sure sounds like a recipe for disaster! That's why I reached out to you folks. Our first trip after MDE started I spent 30-60 minutes EVERY MORNING at GS because either one of our MBs didn't work or the FP weren't linked. Ugh. We rope drop, and it was late August, so huge bummer to miss the first 30-60 minutes every morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iya

An hour + call to IT in order to deactivate/delete old bands and it apparently didn't work as predicted.
FYI We only had 2 or 3 MBs per person active. Since the 3rd or so trip (about a year after MBs began) we knew to deactivate all but a couple: at GS one day they told me one problem could be when over 6 MB per person (don't go by that, but he did tell me that.) But I hadn't deleted any.

I'm leaning towards not doing anything until at least after our April trip.

FYI We only had 2 or 3 MBs per person active. Since the 3rd or so trip (about a year after MBs began) we knew to deactivate all but a couple: at GS one day they told me one problem could be when over 6 MB per person (don't go by that, but he did tell me that.) But I hadn't deleted any.

I'm leaning towards not doing anything until at least after our April trip.

Yes us too - even so our last trip was filled with trips to the front desk and GR for something not working for someone. It was only 3 of us, my kids each had 3 bands, one from the resort stay we were actually on and 2 specialty bands they love and I only use my D&B band now (a Christmas gift). I think 3 bands should be a reasonable amount especially since Disney obviously wants you to purchase them!

Also -your loyalty comment cracked me up - I am so fed up with CM's saying things like OMG you come so much you have so many xxxx. I want to remind them it isn't my "loyalty" that makes problems for them its their IT! At other resorts I hear, thanks for being such a good customer, thanks for coming back to see us etc. :)

Anyway I am not going to do anything until after my next trip either (except xx my fingers) - too much on the line!
Good Luck

Wow ... Great way to penalize a frequent visitor.... (If IT really couldn't forecast that there would be frequent visitors then this is so sad... )

They should have some way to archive previous MB or ask you to remove the previous MB's when you exceed their max (do they actually even have a IT department anymore?)

I'm one that had to have that done. It was the only way to fix it. I have a feeling more and more frequent travelers are going to have this issue.

Honestly, it is great. Fixed everything right up. I can even Change Reservations online again. No more issues with MDE anywhere. Even my old Ghost Tickets are gone. It was/is a PITA to have to have a new email account but I simply forwarded that email to my one I use all the time so on that end, it's all seamless. I only have to remember the new one when I call in to them on the phone. And since I used my full name for the email account, it's rather easy to remember it ;)

I should add, the problem is, making a MB inactive doesn't remove it from their database. The data associated with the MB is still there, just lying dormant so it's still there clogging up the resources. Data bases have limits and theirs is reaching its, clearly. Once it's corrupted, it's unrepairable. One suggestion I've given to others with a lot of entries in their accounts, if you want to be proactive, you can try to have IT go in and delete MB and other info, before anything gets corrupted. That may buy you some time. But I bet it pops up again. Things like stays don't get deleted. And seeing how I love split stays we get lots and lots of stays.

I'm in the same situation. I really need to call today. I can't do anything on the website. And I mean NOTHING. I can't make a resort reservation, FP+, dining reservations, see my friends/family or access Magic Bands. All I can do on the app is make FP & dining reservations and even that doesn't work all the time.

I think loosing access to my friends and family list may have been what finally pushed me to call. I can't really remember now what the final straw was. It just mushroomed from little things here and there, starting with not being able to use change reservation

Just got off the phone. Still need to have photopass moved over and they are having issues getting my Swolphin reservation moved, but everything else is good!

Bree - thanks for reporting your experience doing this! How long were you on the phone? How do you follow up to be sure your photopass and Swolphin were moved correctly (did they give you direct dial extension to call)?

AngiTN (I'm a fan of yours BTW - I always appreciate your comments on the Dis) - thanks very much for saying you have done this, and successfully. I haven't been able to modify a resort online since it first started. So maybe this is why.

Seems ridiculous that Disney's computer doesn't have the capacity or software finesse to store 4 years (? whenever MDE started; we've been going for 10 years) of data for a family of 4 who visit 2-3 times a year. If the past history isn't important, then they should just automatically delete it after a year or 2. (I know my credit cards and banks only have 7 or so years of statements online - they are continually deleted.) Or at least delete all old once there's a problem (they told me clearly they can't do that - can only open new acct.) I can't see any reason anyone needs their MDE past history, unlike bank statements, so why not purge it automatically.

....They should have some way to archive previous MB or ask you to remove the previous MB's when you exceed their max (do they actually even have a IT department anymore?)
FYI They said it was all the past items - not just MB. (That's just what prompted me to call.) Past ADRs, hotel reservations, FPs, tickets. Just so odd they cannot delete the old for me.

I was dubious during the call because she (1) asked if I was calling because I couldn't see Magical Express on MDE (uh, no - that's never there); and (2) told me that for my 17 day onsite stay, with APs and additional tickets, I can only book 7 days in advance.... Ugh. There was no way I was going to have her do the new MDE account anyway - I'll keep calling until I find someone who sounds clever.

Bree - thanks for reporting your experience doing this! How long were you on the phone? How do you follow up to be sure your photopass and Swolphin were moved correctly (did they give you direct dial extension to call)?

AngiTN (I'm a fan of yours BTW - I always appreciate your comments on the Dis) - thanks very much for saying you have done this, and successfully. I haven't been able to modify a resort online since it first started. So maybe this is why.

Seems ridiculous that Disney's computer doesn't have the capacity or software finesse to store 4 years (? whenever MDE started; we've been going for 10 years) of data for a family of 4 who visit 2-3 times a year. If the past history isn't important, then they should just automatically delete it after a year or 2. (I know my credit cards and banks only have 7 or so years of statements online - they are continually deleted.) Or at least delete all old once there's a problem (they told me clearly they can't do that - can only open new acct.) I can't see any reason anyone needs their MDE past history, unlike bank statements, so why not purge it automatically.

I was on the phone for about 45 minutes. They said they would send an email when it was completed. I'm constantly making, changing and canceling plans so my history is insanely huge. They really need to have a way to purge the data! Do they really need my dining reservation history from 2014?

I don't know how many people are currently having this issue, but I do know it's only going to continue to grow in numbers as time goes on and more and more of us hit their limit. Dare I hope that they are already looking at a way to fix this?

FYI They said it was all the past items - not just MB. (That's just what prompted me to call.) Past ADRs, hotel reservations, FPs, tickets. Just so odd they cannot delete the old for me.

I was dubious during the call because she (1) asked if I was calling because I couldn't see Magical Express on MDE (uh, no - that's never there); and (2) told me that for my 17 day onsite stay, with APs and additional tickets, I can only book 7 days in advance.... Ugh. There was no way I was going to have her do the new MDE account anyway - I'll keep calling until I find someone who sounds clever.

Yes - that's was I was told, every reservation (resort and dining) you have ever made even if it was changed or canceled!

I would have made the same decision re that CM!

Maybe when I get back in 2 weeks I will invest the time to call IT and have the new account made. I can't book or change a reservation or see any magic bands and idk what else I can't do ! Right now just xx fingers that everything goes well for my mother in law - she is a Dear and its her 85th birthday trip with most of her grandkids and she really won't understand not being able to open the room at Disney because we visit too much lol

OT from your quote Amanda -

Its frustrating and we should be able to vent about it, that doesn't mean I/We don't appreciate that we go often btw. For us our party size changes so we often do a spit stay, Disney considers this 2 stays and that ups our reservation tally. Instead of a rewards program we get glitches and extra visits to the front desk and guest relations in order to access our room/FP+.

I'm sure I'll have that problem at some point with 3 or more trips per year and many ADR changes and some split stays. Although my trips will be getting reduced starting in 2019 . :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter