My MDE is overloaded; IT wants to create 2nd account and transfer only current items.

I mean, just think of how fortunate you are if you've gotten to go to WDW so much you broke their system. That is lucky and I aspire to join that club someday!

It has nothing to do with visiting a lot. Anytime you make a reservation (resort or dining) and cancel it there remains an entry in the database. They keep a history of every little thing you do in your account. I am constantly making and canceling dining reservations. I have 9 dinner ADR's booked right now and I know I won't keep them all, but they will remain in my account even though I can't see them after canceling. Every reservation I have ever made over the years whether I have kept it or canceled it is stored in my profile history. It's stuff like that which is corrupting the MDE accounts.

It has nothing to do with visiting a lot. Anytime you make a reservation (resort or dining) and cancel it there remains an entry in the database. They keep a history of every little thing you do in your account. I am constantly making and canceling dining reservations. I have 9 dinner ADR's booked right now and I know I won't keep them all, but they will remain in my account even though I can't see them after canceling. Every reservation I have ever made over the years whether I have kept it or canceled it is stored in my profile history. It's stuff like that which is corrupting the MDE accounts.

Oh, I see. That's not as aspirational. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow.

I realize I have an epic disdain for Disney IT but wow.

They couldn’t have seen this coming?

And yes, it truly sounds like a recipe for disaster considering MDE glitches out every time someone sneezes while their account is open.

I don't work in IT, so I figure I'm in no position to feel disdain towards the people who do. From the outside looking in, though, Disney's MDE looks like a massively challenging operation. If I recall correctly, they were trying to bring together under one umbrella a number of different databases and operating systems, and trying to make them all somehow work together and be user friendly.

Ever hear of the Canadian gov't's "Phoenix" pay system debacle? That's an IT disaster that isn't likely to be fixed for years to come, and I know some of the people who worked on it. They're not lazy. They're not idiots. They were doing the best they knew how, with the goals they were assigned and the training and resources they were given. I also know some people who haven't been paid in months, or whose pensions, etc, were mucked up. If anyone's entitled to feel "epic disdain" for a system, it's them.

No one person or organization was responsible for the failure of Phoenix. It was, as one IT manager I know put it, a "perfect storm" of many small decisions made at policy levels, each of which looked entirely reasonable and logical on their own, but which combined created utter disaster.

From my perspective, the fact that this MDE problem can be resolved by just deleting the old account and opening a new one is brilliant. I wish all IT problems were so easily and painlessly dealt with!

From my perspective, the fact that this MDE problem can be resolved by just deleting the old account and opening a new one is brilliant. I wish all IT problems were so easily and painlessly dealt with!
No, not at all brilliant. How ridiculous a proposition is it to think that every few years we are all going to have to create new email accounts so we can create new MDE accounts. I don't know about you but I sure don't want to have to go out and make a new email account every 4, 5 years just for Disney.

Anyone who does work in IT would know they should have had the forethought to realize they would have a cap on the amount of data their databases could hold and come up with a way to purge old data vs holding it all there forever to the point that it corrupted the accounts to the point of making them unrepairable.

Disney's IT infrastructure is not more complex than a number of others in operation on a daily basis and those work flawlessly or at least, flawlessly on the end user's end. Which is all that matters. The end user has no problems and their accounts work and the web sites work and that's all that matters. What the developers have to do to keep that working may be very difficult and complex (I'm certain it is) with a lot of redundant and duplicate systems to keep it all working. Heck, just yesterday Disney's system was down and they were unable to take new reservations. How many other companies have you ever tried to make a purchase from only to find out they were unable to take your money?

No, not at all brilliant. How ridiculous a proposition is it to think that every few years we are all going to have to create new email accounts so we can create new MDE accounts. I don't know about you but I sure don't want to have to go out and make a new email account every 4, 5 years just for Disney.

Anyone who does work in IT would know they should have had the forethought to realize they would have a cap on the amount of data their databases could hold and come up with a way to purge old data vs holding it all there forever to the point that it corrupted the accounts to the point of making them unrepairable.

Disney's IT infrastructure is not more complex than a number of others in operation on a daily basis and those work flawlessly or at least, flawlessly on the end user's end. Which is all that matters. The end user has no problems and their accounts work and the web sites work and that's all that matters. What the developers have to do to keep that working may be very difficult and complex (I'm certain it is) with a lot of redundant and duplicate systems to keep it all working. Heck, just yesterday Disney's system was down and they were unable to take new reservations. How many other companies have you ever tried to make a purchase from only to find out they were unable to take your money?

Do you work in IT? Are you giving me an inside perspective here, as an infrastructure designer and operator?

How much online ordering do you do? I've had numerous occasions when the site has crashed on me and actually one time when they took twice my money! Fortunately, they gave it back.

And are you really using the same email account you started with, decades ago? Is that even a good idea? I've got at least 3 that are current. My very first email crashed under the weight of uncontrollable spam and had to be abandoned over 20 years ago, the poor thing.

I don't know of any IT infrastructures that always work "flawlessly" from the end user's perspective. If I did, I wouldn't be using https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ as often as I do! :laughing:

I should add, the problem is, making a MB inactive doesn't remove it from their database. The data associated with the MB is still there, just lying dormant so it's still there clogging up the resources. Data bases have limits and theirs is reaching its, clearly. Once it's corrupted, it's unrepairable. One suggestion I've given to others with a lot of entries in their accounts, if you want to be proactive, you can try to have IT go in and delete MB and other info, before anything gets corrupted. That may buy you some time. But I bet it pops up again. Things like stays don't get deleted. And seeing how I love split stays we get lots and lots of stays.

Companies, especially mega companies like Disney, should be backing up their data. Where I work, file servers are backed up, emails are archived for a specific number of years, etc...One would think Disney would have a system in place to backup/restore data or increase storage capacity/archive data when someone goes a lot.

I don't work in IT, so I figure I'm in no position to feel disdain towards the people who do. From the outside looking in, though, Disney's MDE looks like a massively challenging operation. If I recall correctly, they were trying to bring together under one umbrella a number of different databases and operating systems, and trying to make them all somehow work together and be user friendly.

Ever hear of the Canadian gov't's "Phoenix" pay system debacle? That's an IT disaster that isn't likely to be fixed for years to come, and I know some of the people who worked on it. They're not lazy. They're not idiots. They were doing the best they knew how, with the goals they were assigned and the training and resources they were given. I also know some people who haven't been paid in months, or whose pensions, etc, were mucked up. If anyone's entitled to feel "epic disdain" for a system, it's them.

No one person or organization was responsible for the failure of Phoenix. It was, as one IT manager I know put it, a "perfect storm" of many small decisions made at policy levels, each of which looked entirely reasonable and logical on their own, but which combined created utter disaster.

I remember reading somewhere from someone who was friends with a person who worked on MDE, they demanded that MDE be made to work with their existing systems rather than building everything from the ground up like they should have. So, it is a system of kludges and bridges connecting systems that were never intended to talk to each other.

Do you work in IT? Are you giving me an inside perspective here, as an infrastructure designer and operator?

How much online ordering do you do? I've had numerous occasions when the site has crashed on me and actually one time when they took twice my money! Fortunately, they gave it back.

And are you really using the same email account you started with, decades ago? Is that even a good idea? I've got at least 3 that are current. My very first email crashed under the weight of uncontrollable spam and had to be abandoned over 20 years ago, the poor thing.

I don't know of any IT infrastructures that always work "flawlessly" from the end user's perspective. If I did, I wouldn't be using https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ as often as I do! :laughing:
Yes, I'm using 1 an email account that is over 10 years old (personal) and 1 that is 20 years old (work). Both work just fine. Those are the only 2 I have, other than the 1 I made just for Disney. Can't see why it's not a good idea. Spam filters are wonders. Mine get none in either one. Try one if you don't use one.

As for online ordering. That's the only way I shop, aside for grocery. I never go to the retail stores any more. Don't have many issues with crashing at all. Not once a week like with Disney. Never once had a company take money more than once. knocking on wood as I type ;)

As to my job, it's very tech oriented. Your computers wouldn't be talking to any other computers in your place of work without what my company does. Well, maybe not my specific company but the line of work at my company. I've been working in the computer field since the days of 8" disks and before Windows. I'm old.

My account is doing those things :sad2:
I do not want to get a new account and I do not want to get a new email ...

I try to decline all bands at all times.
I can't help it we love DISNEY and go all the time !!!!
I hope they fix it soon

Yes, I'm using 1 an email account that is over 10 years old (personal) and 1 that is 20 years old (work). Both work just fine. Those are the only 2 I have, other than the 1 I made just for Disney. Can't see why it's not a good idea. Spam filters are wonders. Mine get none in either one. Try one if you don't use one.

As for online ordering. That's the only way I shop, aside for grocery. I never go to the retail stores any more. Don't have many issues with crashing at all. Not once a week like with Disney. Never once had a company take money more than once. knocking on wood as I type ;)

As to my job, it's very tech oriented. Your computers wouldn't be talking to any other computers in your place of work without what my company does. Well, maybe not my specific company but the line of work at my company. I've been working in the computer field since the days of 8" disks and before Windows. I'm old.

If you don't use your email for anything other than talking to friends or work, it's great. I like to play games, however, and my emails get regularly compromised and have to be purged. That said, I do have one "professional" email that I keep squeaky clean.

Your job is cool! :thumbsup2

By the way, I should mention, I was a teletype operator once upon a very long ago time! :laughing:

My account is doing those things :sad2:
I do not want to get a new account and I do not want to get a new email ...

I try to decline all bands at all times.
I can't help it we love DISNEY and go all the time !!!!
I hope they fix it soon

Yup - I started having problems about a year ago and since then declined all new resort MB's unfortunately (as mentioned) if you make dining reservations they stay on the account forever, even canceled ones, same with resort reservations. The issue isn't really the bands its the system the bands access. Deleting all but one band did not solve the issues for me.

Like a pp I shouldn't have to make a new email and spend hours on the phone to make or access my vacation plans.

So just limiting bands will make no difference :guilty:

When they started all this a long time ago (even before the magic bands they started chipping things) they told us in order to avoid problems
use only one account, one log in, one person, one email for EVERYTHING Disney (photo pass, Disney store, Disney web site, VMK, our multiple DVC contracts etc.)
Now we have the exact opposite problem. I control (well technically not me my DH who never makes any plans) at least 12 adults, 6 of which go all the time.
They all have park tickets, hotel stays, dining reservations, fast passes and many magic bands. When they first started the bands you could not opt out for the first 2 years and since we are DVC we go a lot and have a ton of split stays which equals a CRAZY amount of bands and data !!!! I have deactivated the bands and decline all future bands. I have even thought of hauling in all those old deactivated bands to be destroyed just to help with all the problems.

I am so scared to make separate accounts for people because I have heard horror stories of lost fast passes and lost data plus every time I do call for help from IT they just make it worse and they make me feel like its all my fault !!!! I just want my account to work and I do not want to make a new one ... Does anyone think they will fix the problem soon by being able to really delete unnecessary date

Unless every individual MDE account has its own separate database (something unimaginable), this cannot be a database corruption issue. If it were, every entry in the database would be impacted, not just the individuals with more field entries. They have another problem associated with some sort of systems restriction, but this does not sound like a database corruption issue at all.

If they were to completely delete the old account you could reuse the existing email address. Are they asking for a separate email account so they can have the two open at once while they move stuff over? If so, when they are done, are they deleting the old account so you can reuse that email address in the future should this problem recur?

Reactions: Iya

Before calling Disney IT to create a new MDE, go into your existing account and change the email. Then when you create the new MDE give them your old email as the "new" address.

Nope. I'm told that won't work. Never-mind. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Correct: They refuse to set up my new MDE with my same email address. But maybe another IT CM will say otherwise.

Re: change email then get new MDE via IT. I thought about that, but figured I'd call IT and ask first. (Again, will 'shop' for a smart sounding IT person before doing anything. Thinking of a test question now so I'm ready!)

MDE once 'forgot' about $1,200 of our tickets - years ago pre-MDE-overload. (That was hours at GS during vacation to fix - 'cause they wouldn't do it when I was at home, on the phone.) So I'd like it if the old account's ticket info was retained at least until the tickets are used in full. The rest can be purged for all I care.

Before calling Disney IT to create a new MDE, go into your existing account and change the email. Then when you create the new MDE give them your old email as the "new" address.
That won't work. The only email account you can use is one that has never been registered in MDE before. In any way. I couldn't even use one that I have that was used for booking ADR, and wasn't even connected to me in any other manner, not to my tickets, resorts, anything. The email has to be fresh.

That won't work. The only email account you can use is one that has never been registered in MDE before. In any way. I couldn't even use one that I have that was used for booking ADR, and wasn't even connected to me in any other manner, not to my tickets, resorts, anything. The email has to be fresh.

Really? OK that is sub par.

Now I'm curious, ballpark how many MB's did you have before you had this issue?

Unless every individual MDE account has its own separate database (something unimaginable), this cannot be a database corruption issue. If it were, every entry in the database would be impacted, not just the individuals with more field entries. They have another problem associated with some sort of systems restriction, but this does not sound like a database corruption issue at all.

If they were to completely delete the old account you could reuse the existing email address. Are they asking for a separate email account so they can have the two open at once while they move stuff over? If so, when they are done, are they deleting the old account so you can reuse that email address in the future should this problem recur?
No, the old MDE account is still there. They can't delete the old data, all they can do is move the new data that you want to a new account. That's the problem, there is no way for them to remove the old data. So they leave it in the old account, build you a new one with only the data you want and let you go from there with a new account. The old one lays unused.

And I've had databases where not every entry got corrupted, only parts of it were, the ones that were too large, the ones with too many entries.

Really? OK that is sub par.

Now I'm curious, ballpark how many MB's did you have before you had this issue?
Over 30. 30+ seems to be the magic number. Or thereabouts. I honestly didn't count the exact number and as others have said, it's not strictly MB that are at fault but that seems to be the final straw that broke things, when they reached that 30+ number. Combined with lots of resort stays, lots of FP, lots of ADR, etc.

And yeah, really, really subpar. Bad, bad planning to not see it coming

No, the old MDE account is still there. They can't delete the old data, all they can do is move the new data that you want to a new account. That's the problem, there is no way for them to remove the old data. So they leave it in the old account, build you a new one with only the data you want and let you go from there with a new account. The old one lays unused.

Wonder what Disney's plan is: I know memory is relatively cheap, but no way in 40 years - if they never purge any data - will they be able to manage it all. (I'm no techie, obviously, but KWIM?) Maybe frequent visitors are so few, it's not a problem (to Disney).

Reactions: Iya

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter