My most memorable moment---B-Ball picture

john59

<font color=navy>GOD BLESS <font color=red>AMERI
BASKETBALL_007.jpg

A few posts ago, I mentioned that I was an Asst. Varsity Girls' High School Basketball Coach. I was also the JV Coach for a few years and I loved that role. This picture is a young Coach (then 68) in his best acting form. A problem. I had no idea what to do. The scoreboard tells the tale, 25 to 8. I did not want to run up the score. My Ladies had already thrown a shutout in period 1. Our opponent had zero (0) points. My Ladies always played excellent D. I had used everything in my bag of tricks to keep the score down, but I had to play my Sophs. It was not fair to keep them on the bench, playing Freshman the entire game. What to do ? ? What to do ? ? At the beginning of the 4th quarter I asked one on my JV leaders, how do we play this 4th Q. Her answer was "Coach, when you call the play, we still do not execute good passing on screens, setting up a 3 point shot. Our shooter has to reach for the ball on the run, or it is behind her and can not square up. We are not executing good passes. You always said weak side shooting hand, strong side weak hand". My reply. Let's do it. Nothing but 3 point shots. We have a good lead. If the shot isn't there, get it back to point and we will start over. Thinking 20/25% accuracy at the very best. My ladies took 10 shots and hit 7 three pointers. The other Coach was a good sport. He knew what I was attempting to do and was actually laughing at games' end. He said to me "Coach, you just can not tell them not to shoot. That team is fundamentally sound, passionate, fun to watch and I am glad we only play them once".
This team was averaging 45 pts a game. They were heading for a season low then everything started dropping. What's a coach to do ??????
john

:confused3

To the Coaches:

You have run into similar situations, in the write-up I put below my posted picture, of me coaching b-ball. In can be at any level. Tee ball, weight ball in football, varsity, whatever.

Eventually you hit that brick wall and challenge yourself. "I just don't know what to do", but you must go through the agony without showing emotion and pray somebody or something bails you out.

john

I guess sometimes being a GOOD SPORT pays off TOO WELL!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter