My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

Derp! If I had paid closer attention to the post, I would’ve seen it was fold & go wheelchair owners.
Were you able to request to join? The group owner made a page first, then made a group so that it could be private. If you can’t find the group, you could send me a message for the link if that’s allowed. I don’t want to break any etiquette rules.

Were you able to request to join? The group owner made a page first, then made a group so that it could be private. If you can’t find the group, you could send me a message for the link if that’s allowed. I don’t want to break any etiquette rules.
Thanks! I found it and was able to make the request.

I'm having some difficulty, and I was wondering if it was user error or just a byproduct of my surroundings.

My local theme park has some pretty steep hills. Thankfully, my Magshock handles those like a champ.

My problem is when some of those steep hills aren't level. Some of them are quite a bit not level. When that happens, my chair has a mind of its own and tends to just go toward the direction of the incline, no matter what I do. It usually ends with someone who is with me putting it in manual and pushing it where it needs to go.

Is this just all physics, or do I need to do something to better adjust the front wheels to get then pointed in the correct direction in that situation?

I'm having some difficulty, and I was wondering if it was user error or just a byproduct of my surroundings.

My local theme park has some pretty steep hills. Thankfully, my Magshock handles those like a champ.

My problem is when some of those steep hills aren't level. Some of them are quite a bit not level. When that happens, my chair has a mind of its own and tends to just go toward the direction of the incline, no matter what I do. It usually ends with someone who is with me putting it in manual and pushing it where it needs to go.

Is this just all physics, or do I need to do something to better adjust the front wheels to get then pointed in the correct direction in that situation?

It's not just you. I have had this problem as well - to the point where I am no longer using my MagShock. At all.

I battled this very issue on multiple occasions at many different places, including Disney World. As you said, it seems to be when a hill isn't consistently level (most hills... are not perfectly perfect) and on multiple occasions it has been impossible for me to "drive my way out of it", and I have also experienced the chair literally losing control, and in one instance, spinning out and running me right up to a low stone wall before I could get the power shut off. I didn't hit the wall, but it was way too close for comfort.

As long as hills are perfectly graded and you go straight up, or straight down, it is possible to maintain control of the chair. The problem is that in the real world, there are times when you have to drive *across* a hill or incline, and that is when the problems begin. It becomes virtually impossible to control the chair via the joystick, and it must be put in manual mode. Even in manual mode, when family members were pushing me, it would try and take off in the wrong direction. It's beyond frustrating for everyone trying to deal with it. Our daughter gifted me the chair precisely so that I could be independent; in manual mode, I require another human to push me.

I am so disappointed in it. And, when I called Fold & Go, the person I spoke with basically tried to gaslight me, and tell me that *I* was the problem - that clearly I had never driven a "real" chair. When I pushed back, and told them that I had indeed driven other similar types of chairs, I was informed that "there is nothing else like a Fold & Go" and that I should go and "practice" more with the chair. I was told that they would not help me until I did a video visit with their technician (the person who was telling me that it was my fault that the chair didn't operate as it should) to *prove* that I knew what I was doing. When I told this person that all I wanted to know was if it was possible that it was the either the joystick, or the controller (the computer box that lives under the seat) that might be the problem, they again demanded that I do a video session with them to prove that I knew what I was doing, because "it's almost always user error".

BTW there are now at least 3 different brands of chairs that are virtually identical, and all of them look set to to suffer from the same issue. I have come to believe it has something to do with the position of the front casters.

I was going to sell it, but my family and I agreed that we don't want to inflict this chair on anyone else. So, for the same reason, I will not donate it. I don't believe it's safe. I could not live with myself if someone were to be injured. For now, it sits, taking up space.

The worst part for me is that aside from this issue - which is a very real safety issue - the chair is extremely comfortable and well made. I genuinely want to use it, but not at the risk of my safety, nor that of anyone else.

I have the same problem with my MagShock - it wants to turn to the side when I'm going crossways/at an angle on uneven terrain like @mamabunny described. Luckily I have been able to avoid such terrain for the most part, or it hasn't been so bad as to cause me to have to go into manual mode. I'm fortunate in that if I have to get out and push the chair myself for a short distance I can, but I can see how this doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks, y'all.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I need something with elevating leg lifts that can be easily transported. It looks like everything that fits that is designed similarly.

Thanks, y'all.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I need something with elevating leg lifts that can be easily transported. It looks like everything that fits that is designed similarly.

Yeah - here’s a quick graphic to illustrate what I look for now in a chair. More and more models have the option for elevating leg lifts; it’s far more common now than it once was, so I hope that will not be as big an issue for you.

So there are 3 chairs pictured here. I personally own both a Fold & Go, and a Zoomer. I know one person who has a Travel Buddy (and is reporting the same issue with hills/slopes/ramps that some of us are having with our F&G chairs here)IMG_0355.jpeg

The green lines show the angle or the “line” between the seat and the front wheel; the Zoomer has put their front wheels directly below the edge of the seat, and I have almost zero problems with it vs. the F&G. Both the F&G and the Travel Buddy have the front wheels out in front of the edge of the seat.

But wait, there’s more! The red arrows show the angle of the wheel bracket - and again, the F&G and the Travel Buddy are *very* similar (not the only way in which they are VERY similar, but that’s another topic for another day) in the angle of this bracket. The angle of the bracket on the Zoomer is literally in the opposite direction. Of the 3 chairs, it is the one with the fewest problems (in my personal experience)

It’s my opinion that the green angles/placement of the front wheels, as well as the red arrow angle of those front wheel brackets somehow adds up to this issue we are seeing with the F&G “style” of chair.

I think if you could find a chair more like the Zoomer, you might have fewer problems.

I will also say that after the F&G, I will never again “blindly” buy a mobility device. I got so lucky with my TravelScoot(s) that I believed I could research my way to my next device. I was wrong. I was able to extensively test drive a Zoomer prior to purchase, and not only is the hill/ramp issue markedly reduced, but I found that after trying to drive the F&G, I was able to maneuver the Zoomer with a near-surgical precision. My family and I were stunned at how much better the Zoomer handled.

Your mileage may vary - but if you do go in-person shopping, I would try to find a chair with a profile closer to/equal that of a Zoomer.

I hope all this makes sense!

Yeah - here’s a quick graphic to illustrate what I look for now in a chair. More and more models have the option for elevating leg lifts; it’s far more common now than it once was, so I hope that will not be as big an issue for you.

So there are 3 chairs pictured here. I personally own both a Fold & Go, and a Zoomer. I know one person who has a Travel Buddy (and is reporting the same issue with hills/slopes/ramps that some of us are having with our F&G chairs here)View attachment 779730

The green lines show the angle or the “line” between the seat and the front wheel; the Zoomer has put their front wheels directly below the edge of the seat, and I have almost zero problems with it vs. the F&G. Both the F&G and the Travel Buddy have the front wheels out in front of the edge of the seat.

But wait, there’s more! The red arrows show the angle of the wheel bracket - and again, the F&G and the Travel Buddy are *very* similar (not the only way in which they are VERY similar, but that’s another topic for another day) in the angle of this bracket. The angle of the bracket on the Zoomer is literally in the opposite direction. Of the 3 chairs, it is the one with the fewest problems (in my personal experience)

It’s my opinion that the green angles/placement of the front wheels, as well as the red arrow angle of those front wheel brackets somehow adds up to this issue we are seeing with the F&G “style” of chair.

I think if you could find a chair more like the Zoomer, you might have fewer problems.

I will also say that after the F&G, I will never again “blindly” buy a mobility device. I got so lucky with my TravelScoot(s) that I believed I could research my way to my next device. I was wrong. I was able to extensively test drive a Zoomer prior to purchase, and not only is the hill/ramp issue markedly reduced, but I found that after trying to drive the F&G, I was able to maneuver the Zoomer with a near-surgical precision. My family and I were stunned at how much better the Zoomer handled.

Your mileage may vary - but if you do go in-person shopping, I would try to find a chair with a profile closer to/equal that of a Zoomer.

I hope all this makes sense!
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts