My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

lanejudy

Since this thread has morphed into a general discussion of the chair unrelated to Disney trip-planning, I’m moving it to the disABILITIES Community forum.

bluecruiser

DIS Veteran
Fold & Go posted on their Facebook page today that they'll be at the Abilities Expo in Los Angeles next weekend (Feb. 21-23). They said they'll have the MagSHOCK there for people to "see, touch, and test drive." As in their previous post about another expo last December, there will be stock on hand for people to purchase and take with them.

Source

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
We found the travel bag to be somewhat of a struggle to put on. It fits very snug on a MagShock. My travel companion isn’t wimpy either and she had to work at it, although we’re wondering if it will stretch a bit to give it that custom feel (like birkenstocks! 😄) We’re sure glad we practiced ahead of time at home. Do the ones on Amazon enclose the wheels? If so, oh man, personally I wouldn’t do that to the baggage guys when gate-checking. Besides being heavy, it’s still somewhat awkward to carry even with the bag handles. IMO having the ability to roll it is better for all.

Also, Fold & Go has an item in their accessories section - a Velcro strap attached to a handle so you can strap the chair shut and have a handle to pull it. $23.95. Is that new? I don’t remember seeing it before. Somebody who’s handy could probably rig that up for less but I’m not in that category. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 473048View attachment 473049
Yes - it's new and my hubs decided it was just the thing I needed LOL so he ordered one for me. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - it just arrived today.

I also got the placard (the little hangtag) and we decided to get the joystick controller programmer in case I ever need it/want it. And the hubs decided I "needed" the cupholder (even though that was the last thing I was worried about! LOL)

• ppony

Artist in residence
    DIS Lifetime Sponsor
    Since this thread has morphed into a general discussion of the chair unrelated to Disney trip-planning, I’m moving it to the disABILITIES Community forum.
    I can tell you, had this thread not been the the Disney planning DISabilities forum, I'd have never seen it and never known there was such a thing as a fold-up power chair and I'd still be renting scooters at Disney. You can moderate how you like or course, I'm just adding that the thread's existence in the planning forum was how I found it, in Disney planning, and it helped me IMMENSELY being there.

ppony

Artist in residence
    DIS Lifetime Sponsor
    Yes - it's new and my hubs decided it was just the thing I needed LOL so he ordered one for me. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - it just arrived today.

I also got the placard (the little hangtag) and we decided to get the joystick controller programmer in case I ever need it/want it. And the hubs decided I "needed" the cupholder (even though that was the last thing I was worried about! LOL)
    It wasn't there at the beginning of the year, but I saw it a week or so ago and it was sold out already. It looks like exactly what we need! But THANKS for mentioning what that velcro was called. I didn't know about it or that it had a name. Yeah, I feel old. Only knew about the 2 tape kind of velcro. LOL

Groot

Still recovering from the events of Endgame.
    I can tell you, had this thread not been the the Disney planning DISabilities forum, I'd have never seen it and never known there was such a thing as a fold-up power chair and I'd still be renting scooters at Disney. You can moderate how you like or course, I'm just adding that the thread's existence in the planning forum was how I found it, in Disney planning, and it helped me IMMENSELY being there.
    Maybe there should be a separate forum for people that are looking for mobility/own devices to give advice on them?

ppony

Artist in residence
    DIS Lifetime Sponsor
    THANK YOU for that input on the cover. I was afraid it might be snug and a struggle. That's the last thing you want when you have a few dozen pair of eyeballs on you as you board a plane. Fast fast fast fast.

I'm HOPING they get that strap thing back in stock. It must have sold out immediately because it wasn't there when I ordered my chair the first week of Jan. and I looked a few weeks ago as I was evaluating the cover but it was sold out already.

We found the travel bag to be somewhat of a struggle to put on. It fits very snug on a MagShock. My travel companion isn’t wimpy either and she had to work at it, although we’re wondering if it will stretch a bit to give it that custom feel (like birkenstocks! 😄) We’re sure glad we practiced ahead of time at home. Do the ones on Amazon enclose the wheels? If so, oh man, personally I wouldn’t do that to the baggage guys when gate-checking. Besides being heavy, it’s still somewhat awkward to carry even with the bag handles. IMO having the ability to roll it is better for all.

Also, Fold & Go has an item in their accessories section - a Velcro strap attached to a handle so you can strap the chair shut and have a handle to pull it. $23.95. Is that new? I don’t remember seeing it before. Somebody who’s handy could probably rig that up for less but I’m not in that category. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 473048View attachment 473049

• ppony

Artist in residence
    DIS Lifetime Sponsor
    Maybe there should be a separate forum for people that are looking for mobility/own devices to give advice on them?
    I didn't know I was looking for one though. I just thought I was relegated to the life of renting scooters because my insurance wouldn't give me a chair. THEN, I saw this and voila! I realized I could use my flex dollars and open my life back up again. I'm just saying, it being where it was was a life-changer for me.

Groot

Still recovering from the events of Endgame.
    I didn't know I was looking for one though. I just thought I was relegated to the life of renting scooters because my insurance wouldn't give me a chair. THEN, I saw this and voila! I realized I could use my flex dollars and open my life back up again. I'm just saying, it being where it was was a life-changer for me.
    Mine too. I thought that I would either have to pay $3,000 for a fully customized manual chair or have to pay $500 for a run of the mill “Grandma Special” and have to go and do all the upgrades I wanted myself (paint it the color I wanted, getting my cousin to saw off the arms, getting the spoked wheels and cool looking casters I wanted, getting my dream seat cushion, etc.) and would’ve ended up paying $3,000 in the end anyways when it was all said and done.

I’m so glad I found this.

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
    Mine too. I thought that I would either have to pay $3,000 for a fully customized manual chair or have to pay $500 for a run of the mill “Grandma Special” and have to go and do all the upgrades I wanted myself (paint it the color I wanted, getting my cousin to saw off the arms, getting the spoked wheels and cool looking casters I wanted, getting my dream seat cushion, etc.) and would’ve ended up paying $3,000 in the end anyways when it was all said and done.

I’m so glad I found this.
    I swear, you and I were separated at birth!

CJN

closet redhead
    Since we‘re talking about upgrades, what have any of you done about lights? I didn’t give lighting a second thought until rolling out of animal kingdom late one night. It was dark! The problem wasn’t necessarily that I couldn’t see ahead but rather that people couldn’t see me.

Looking at the front and rear lights offered on the F&G website leaves me wondering if those are the best solution. I don’t necessarily want a headlight that’s shining at stroller eye-level. And it looks like you’d have to get off to access the rear light on/off switch which isn’t practical either. I’m going to dig out the string of bicycle wheel spoke lights I used to have on an ecv and see what they look like wrapped around the lower frame. Then the controller could be within easy reach inside the side pouch we attached. That’s probably just a short-term fix, though, especially since you couldn’t be folding the chair up with string lights attached. Any ideas?

• ppony

Artist in residence
    DIS Lifetime Sponsor
    Since we‘re talking about upgrades, what have any of you done about lights? I didn’t give lighting a second thought until rolling out of animal kingdom late one night. It was dark! The problem wasn’t necessarily that I couldn’t see ahead but rather that people couldn’t see me.

Looking at the front and rear lights offered on the F&G website leaves me wondering if those are the best solution. I don’t necessarily want a headlight that’s shining at stroller eye-level. And it looks like you’d have to get off to access the rear light on/off switch which isn’t practical either. I’m going to dig out the string of bicycle wheel spoke lights I used to have on an ecv and see what they look like wrapped around the lower frame. Then the controller could be within easy reach inside the side pouch we attached. That’s probably just a short-term fix, though, especially since you couldn’t be folding the chair up with string lights attached. Any ideas?
    I thought about it but don't recall having had trouble seeing well enough on Disney walkways at night or in the dark morning. It's tempting, if I hadn't already bought a bunch of accessories, a gel seat pad, and clothes for the trip, I probably would get one for the front. They're not too bad. $20-30 for bike lights... BUT, I feel spender's guilt. LOL

mamabunny

DIS Veteran

I have some of the strap lights (like the little red brake lights that F&G sells) in both white & clear that I am going to try; because I can strap those on lower, and aim them so they don't blind the stroller nuggets. (I love that you are so thoughtful about that! 🙂 )

I also found this on Amazon and got it the other day - it can be attached to the frame, pointed down, and BOY does it put on a light show when you turn it on! You will definitely not have to worry about anyone missing you with this! LOL I kind of love it!

That's it so far. I'm still trying to find some undercarriage lighting that I like - it has to be able to stay on when folded and use either rechargeable batteries or connect to a lipstick size USB battery bank. The lights that I originally used on Angus years ago would have been perfect but were discontinued by the manufacturer. I will keep you all posted, and will let you know as soon as I find something!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.