My son is thinking of joining the Navy - w/o hs diploma?

Chip126

<font color=CC66CC>A Tag is a Wish your Heart Make
I am not sure if this is where I should post this, but I will try. Moderators - feel free to move this if necessary.

My son is almost 17 and has had a struggle with school (every aspect) for years. He is considering "dropping out", taking his GED, and pursuing a career in the Navy.

He would really like to be a firefighter/paramedic. He has been a cadet firefighter for 2 1/2 years and is an observer on our volunteer ambulance. He is one of those kids that needs some "hands-on" training and he gives it 110%.

I know that the his best option would be to stay in school and graduate, but I don't see this happening. We are meeting with a recruiter on Thursday. He wants to encourage him to stay in school, but said if this doesn't happen he will guide him to where he needs to be.

Does anyone have family or friends who have gone into the Navy without a high school diploma?? I know there is a lot of red tape trying to get in.

I guess I am just looking for any information and input you might have on the Navy and if there is anyone else that has gone through this before.

This is a very stressful time for me and a HUGE decision!

Thank you!
Kim

Chip126 said:
I am not sure if this is where I should post this, but I will try. Moderators - feel free to move this if necessary.

My son is almost 17 and has had a struggle with school (every aspect) for years. He is considering "dropping out", taking his GED, and pursuing a career in the Navy.

He would really like to be a firefighter/paramedic. He has been a cadet firefighter for 2 1/2 years and is an observer on our volunteer ambulance. He is one of those kids that needs some "hands-on" training and he gives it 110%.

I know that the his best option would be to stay in school and graduate, but I don't see this happening. We are meeting with a recruiter on Thursday. He wants to encourage him to stay in school, but said if this doesn't happen he will guide him to where he needs to be.

Does anyone have family or friends who have gone into the Navy without a high school diploma?? I know there is a lot of red tape trying to get in.

I guess I am just looking for any information and input you might have on the Navy and if there is anyone else that has gone through this before.

This is a very stressful time for me and a HUGE decision!

Thank you!
Kim

Personally I don't know of anyone that has entered the Navy with a GED, but what I do know of are kids who go to Basic and get injured for someone reason it doesn't workout and they get sent home...I think if something like that happened a Diploma would be a lot more useful than a GED.

My younger brother went into the Navy without his HS diploma. He got his GED with help through his recruiter. He went on to have a rewarding NAVY career, became a recruiter himself for a few years and is now stationed in IRAQ. He did get out of the NAVY after 10 years and with his training became an area rep, managing a convenience store chain. He was recruited into the Reserves after 911. He hopes to be home by June and plans on retiring with his 20 years served. He still has his management career waiting for him.

My hubby is active duty Army and he has his GED. They told us its harder to get in now without a HS diploma...but it paves the way if you have college credits....even a night class or two.
It is possible to get in with a GED...and if thats the only option for you son, then he should still look into it.
I'm a navy brat myself...daughter, sister, grandaughter, neice....you name it. I'm the blacksheep of the family that married the Army. But at least your son is thinking about his future. If he joins the Navy, HS diploma or not, he'll have a great future! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter