My thoughts on RIV, G+, Skyliner, etc.

J-Dog

A Nobody
So FYI, this trip report is probably going to be more of a review than a play-by-play report, so here goes.

For background, we are new to DVC, and this was our Welcome Home trip. We have a FW for the first week of December, but due to banked points from initial buying, we opted-out and booked a 3-bd GV for 8 days. We are a husband and wife and a 4-yr old daughter, and this trip my mom, my SIL and her 6-yr old daughter tagged along.

So, first thoughts about RIV. We absolutely loved this place! We have stayed at multiple resorts before, but bought RIV sight-unseen, so we were slightly nervous because RIV seems to be either a "love it" or "hate it" kind of place. We loved the design, the layout, the pools, and especially the rooms. Granted, we stayed in a GV (and will probably not be able to afford the points for that again), but the room was absolutely stunning - spacious, gorgeous appointments, high-end counters, tile, etc. The lobby was nice, but not spectacular, but I feel like a huge, awe-inspiring lobby (like AKL, for example), is something that's cool at first glance, but then quickly loses it's appeal - so the RIV lobby was not a negative for us. Primo Piatto had a decent variety of good food and good hours. La Petit Cafe was nice and coffee was decent, but we only saw it in the mornings, not the later selections. We are not big drinkers, so we didn't utilize Bar Riva, but it looked nice. The only slight disappointment was Topolino's (more on that later). And finally, the Skyliner is awesome! We had one time that we had to wait 8 minutes to get on, but all other times were walk-on. Easy to use, fast, and kind-of a ride all in itself. Granted, we didn't have any bad weather, so there were no major interruptions - if that had happened, then it might have affected our opinion somewhat...

Overall, we are TOTALLY happy with RIV. I can't think of a major negative about the place. During a trip to AKL, my SIL even commented about how much nicer RIV was compared to AKL. Which is funny, because AKV was out initial choice to buy-in, but couldn't find a good contract there and ultimately decided that we wanted a FW at RIV - and are now super happy that we did it.

Next review - G+. I know that I am in the extreme minority here, and it annoys me too that it costs extra, but we loved G+! I have heard horror stories of using G+, and the lines were still long. Well, it was moderately busy every day that we were at the parks, but not a single LL had a wait of longer than 10 minutes. I found it easy to use and a HUGE time-saver. In fact, we only used the Stand-by lines for 2 or 3 rides during the entire trip, all else we used LL.

I was a G+ rookie, since our last trip was October '21, and G+ hadn't been introduced yet. There were a few annoyances, such as a few times that I thought that I should have been able to stack a ride, but the app wouldn't let me for some reason (this was probably my lack of understanding of how it works, rather than a glitch, though), and I also don't know why ILL$ allows you to pick a times, but G+ doesn't - it sure would be nice to be able to pick at least an approximate time, rather than it being a crap-shoot.

Okay, so first day was Epcot, which was packed and the Holiday booths were good, but most had fairly long lines. Guardians was awesome and totally worth the ILL$ cost. We ate at Le Cellier - I would probably not eat there again. The food was pretty good, but the restaurant is loud and the tables are all VERY close together. We had a Candlelight Processional package through Le Cellier, which was awesome and Isabella Rosselini was much better than I expected. Harmonious is still not my favorite compered to Reflections of Earth, so I won't be sad to see it go.

Day 2 was HS, which was great but very busy. Ate at Mama Melrose because it was the only one I could get with a Fantasmic package. This is our second time eating at Mama Melrose, and I know it gets mixed reviews, but we have liked it both times. It's definitely not high-end Italian food, but it's pretty good. Fantasmic was great, but I was expecting it to have changed after the long hiatus - but it was mostly the same as I remember.

Day 3 - AK. Still busy, but probably the least busy day that we were there. It was little bit cool, so we didn't do Kali, but did almost everything else. Ate at Tiffins, which is excellent and expensive. We had planned to go to AKL and eat at Jiko, but I found out after-the-fact that Jiko is closed on Tuesdays, so we "settled" for Tiffins, and it was well worth it. I had Surf and Turf, which was cooked perfectly.

On Day 4, we went to DS just for a couple of hours. My wife loves DS, but I am really NOT into shopping, so I got into the VL for Gideon's and wandered around. Eventually got bunch of cookies, then went to dinner at Jaleo. As far as restaurants, Jaleo was probably the highlight of the trip. The tasting menu was awesome with a bunch of courses and a huge range of textures and flavors. Ths only complaint about the tasting menu was that the timing of the courses was very inconsistent. Maybe it was because they were busy, I don't know, but there were times that it was 20 minutes between courses, but then they would literally set 3 courses down at the same time - that happened twice during the tasting. Would still gladly do it again, though.

Day 5 - MVMCP. We liked the party, and Minnie's Christmas fireworks was awesome, but I think that we will probably forego the parties in future years. Its too packed with people and we don't feel like the stuff other than the fireworks are worth the cost. Long lines for meet-and-greets, cheap cookies, and a show at the castle stage that is hard to see - just not worth it to us.

Day 6 was a resort day. Started with breakfast at Boma. This was somewhat a miss for us, because we waited 30 minutes past our reservations time, and I was somewhat disappointed because I expected more African food options, but otherwise the food was good. After that, it was back to RIV for pool time and dinner at Topolinos. Now, I have to say that Topolino's is good - the restaurant and the view are beautiful, the service was good, and the food was good - but not great. I think that maybe I was expecting too much - because I have heard many reports that said that Topolino's is the best on WDW property - but for us, it was 3rd-best of this trip, after Tiffins and Jaleo. The gnocchi appetizer was good, but WAY too salty (and I love salt), and my lobster linguine was fine, but not spectacular. The dessert creme brulee was good but expensive and very small.

Our last day was an initial stop at MK for my 4 yr old DD's appointment at BBB. This was lots of fun and well worth the cost. The FGM apprentices were very good and patient and actually appeared happy to be there. If my DD is still into princesses when we go back, we will probably do this again. We left MK and went to Epcot for an ADR at Space 220. I know everyone likes to rag on this place, but this is our second time and we loved it again. I do think that it slightly overpriced, but the food was very good. My one complaint was that the visuals on the "windows" were exactly the same as last year - it would be nice if they updated them every once in a while.

All-in-all, great trip. Super happy about buying DVC at RIV. Obviously, I wish stuff was cheaper and the parks were less packed, but I know that those things aren't going to change. My mom will almost certainly not be back due to those things, but we definitely will.

I agree about topolinos. I think it’s very overrated.

I’m also a RIV owner that was initially trying to buy AKV resale! I don’t regret our decision at all other than wishing I had a shot at those club level rooms!

I agree about topolinos. I think it’s very overrated.

I’m also a RIV owner that was initially trying to buy AKV resale! I don’t regret our decision at all other than wishing I had a shot at those club level rooms!
Thanks for reading! I totally agree about club level. Other than that, all else goes to RIV compared to AKV for me.

Glad to hear you had a great trip and are happy with Riviera. We bought RIV sight unseen last month after an AKV trip in Oct and are anxious to stay there. I'm nervous about the Skyliner, I've read mixed reviews about it. Seems so convenient but I guess weather can play a major factor in your experience. Also agree on Genie + wish it wasn't an additional cost, but we were able to ride everything we set out to do and then some with virtually zero waits.

I feel like all of us RIV owners in here were considering AKV resale at one point but then ended up sort of blindly buying into it 🫠. I had never stepped foot in it until the past week and it quickly eliminated any doubts I had about buying into the resort. Absolutely loved the Skyliner. The rooms are stunning. Even the tower studios that a lot of people seem to like bashing on and I admit based on youtube videos I had my doubts due to the size, I felt like I could easily see my partner and I staying for a more budget trip. I love that the entire resort is all in one building and you don’t have to worry about walking outside in the rain like with nearly every other resort. Couldn’t be happier to make our foray into DVC with Riviera 😊

Sorry, forgot about one other thing to complain about :o

We pre-bought a Memory Maker for something like $169, and while it was great because we got a fair amount of intra-ride pictures that we typically never pay for, pretty much every other opportunity for a Memory Maker picture with a photographer involved waiting in a huge line.

We are definitely not huge "waiting in line" people. Obviously, WDW is going to involve line-waiting to some extent, but we had no interest in creating more opportunities to stand in line in order to get a picture.

As such, we paid $169 for about a dozen ride pics. Definitely not worth the cost.

Glad to hear you loved Riviera and had a great trip. We finally got the chance to see Riviera in person this trip and it is beautiful. I was looking to add on a small 60pt contract while on our trip since we always find ourselves short of points. Once seeing Riviera I almost considered switching buying there instead of VGF. I would love having everything in one building. My love of GF was too strong to win over the resale restrictions though so I’ll have to stalk to stay at Riviera one day.

Memory maker is always such a toss up for my family. I almost never get my moneys worth but it’s pretty much the only way I am in any pictures since I do all the picture taking. I pretty much paid the $169 to have a few family pictures in front of the castle and the kids looking adorable on mine train. I say I won’t get it again, but I probably will. I’m a sucker for family pics. Without memory maker it would look like I wasn’t even on the trips.

Jealous of your fixed week. The week of Thanksgiving is my favorite time to travel. Holiday decorations make Disney so magical. I would love to buy that fixed week one day. Maybe Poly2…

Thanks for sharing!

We feel the same way about Riviera. You have a great home resort. I personally love the theming and the details - would happily stay here over and over again.

Agreed on Topolino's dinner. For our Feb 2022 stay, we did Topolino's the first night - arrival night - and it was disappointing. The service was great, and there were lots of extra Cast Members training, which we understood. But we found the menu to be limited/uninspiring (perhaps because of COVID) and the prices astronomical for the portions/value. The same could be said across the Disney Resort full-service, especially signature, restaurants, but I just felt especially insulted at this restaurant.

Topolino's character breakfast, on the other hand, chef's kiss!

Glad you had a great trip!

We feel the same way about Riviera. You have a great home resort. I personally love the theming and the details - would happily stay here over and over again.

Agreed on Topolino's dinner. For our Feb 2022 stay, we did Topolino's the first night - arrival night - and it was disappointing. The service was great, and there were lots of extra Cast Members training, which we understood. But we found the menu to be limited/uninspiring (perhaps because of COVID) and the prices astronomical for the portions/value. The same could be said across the Disney Resort full-service, especially signature, restaurants, but I just felt especially insulted at this restaurant.

Topolino's character breakfast, on the other hand, chef's kiss!

Glad you had a great trip!
Thanks for the input! I completely agree with you. The not over-the-top theming is a big plus for us. We had initially planned to buy resale at AKV, but one of the reasons (among many) that we didn't was because the theming is too much. We didn't want to get sick of being in "Africa" every time we visit WDW. RIV, on the other hand, has enough Disney theming to make you know that you are at WDW, but it's not in-your-face all the time.

And we haven't done Topolino's breakfast, but that's on the list if you are endorsing it.

Thanks again!

So FYI, this trip report is probably going to be more of a review than a play-by-play report, so here goes.

For background, we are new to DVC, and this was our Welcome Home trip. We have a FW for the first week of December, but due to banked points from initial buying, we opted-out and booked a 3-bd GV for 8 days. We are a husband and wife and a 4-yr old daughter, and this trip my mom, my SIL and her 6-yr old daughter tagged along.
How does one get a Fixed Week when purchasing DVC? I didn’t know that was a thing. And is it less money as a result of having that? Curious how swapping it helped you get into a grand villa? Or if it was just the amount of points you had banked from the previous owner. I don’t know the ins and outs - so perhaps I should be looking this up in a different thread.

Thank you for the great trip report! We love the Riviera, and if we ever become DVC owners that as our place. We first stayed there Thanksgiving of 2020 and it was such a peaceful relaxing comforting reprieve from the crazy several months we had at the start of the pandemic - not to mention it’s just absolutely stunning! So gorgeous. Fantastic core memories and we love that location and resort decor and theming. And then we can also use our points to stay at Aulani, my new second favorite Disney resort!

Since we pay so much staying at these resorts with cash, sometimes with a discount unfortunately lately more times, not - I feel fairly convinced we could save money with a contract. The annual dues is where it gets me to think it will take a longer time to realize the savings.

Thanks for the input! I completely agree with you. The not over-the-top theming is a big plus for us. We had initially planned to buy resale at AKV, but one of the reasons (among many) that we didn't was because the theming is too much. We didn't want to get sick of being in "Africa" every time we visit WDW. RIV, on the other hand, has enough Disney theming to make you know that you are at WDW, but it's not in-your-face all the time.

And we haven't done Topolino's breakfast, but that's on the list if you are endorsing it.

Thanks again!
We loved the breakfast at Topolino’s’s as well! Characters are very fun in their costumes in that space and the food was very good. And apparently you can get more than one entrée which we did not do but we got an extra side when we needed some thing else and were told that that is the case.

How does one get a Fixed Week when purchasing DVC? I didn’t know that was a thing. And is it less money as a result of having that? Curious how swapping it helped you get into a grand villa? Or if it was just the amount of points you had banked from the previous owner. I don’t know the ins and outs - so perhaps I should be looking this up in a different thread.

Thank you for the great trip report! We love the Riviera, and if we ever become DVC owners that as our place. We first stayed there Thanksgiving of 2020 and it was such a peaceful relaxing comforting reprieve from the crazy several months we had at the start of the pandemic - not to mention it’s just absolutely stunning! So gorgeous. Fantastic core memories and we love that location and resort decor and theming. And then we can also use our points to stay at Aulani, my new second favorite Disney resort!

Since we pay so much staying at these resorts with cash, sometimes with a discount unfortunately lately more times, not - I feel fairly convinced we could save money with a contract. The annual dues is where it gets me to think it will take a longer time to realize the savings.
We bought our Fixed Week direct. Our guide never brought it up, but thanks to learning from this website, I specifically brought it up to her, and then she took care of it. I believe that there are resale contracts out there with a FW, but they are somewhat rare. They are only available at certain resorts, including RIV - I don't know why that is. They are not an option at AKL, for example.

At the time, it was a great deal because the points we paid for are less than that particular week is worth. However, last year DVD changed the Fixed Week to "Favorite Week" and re-adjusted the points charts, making them quite a bit more expensive. We're glad we bought in when we did.

The beauty of a FW for us is knowing that we will never have to walk a res, or worry about getting a res exactly at the 11-month mark, because it is done for us and we don't have to worry about a thing. For the first week of December, that was a big deal for us.

We have since added-on a couple of small contracts, mostly so we can add a day or 2 at the beginning or end of our FW.
We loved the breakfast at Topolino’s’s as well! Characters are very fun in their costumes in that space and the food was very good. And apparently you can get more than one entrée which we did not do but we got an extra side when we needed some thing else and were told that that is the case.
Thanks for the reply and the info! That is definitely a must-do when we go next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter