My very first trip report! November 10 - 14, 2018

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
Hello all! I've read so many great trip reports, but I've never tried my hand at one before. I hope I can live up to the great reports I've read :wave2:

This past November was the 6th trip to Universal for DS(22) and I. We were die hard Disney goers for meny years, but DS wanted to try Universal for his high school graduation trip in June, 2015. I hadn't been to Universal since 2001, so I was curious myself. We stayed at RPR for 8 wonderful days, and our love affair with Universal was born. Honestly, everything about it blew WDW right out of the water for us and we've never looked back. We followed that trip with 5 days in May, 2016 - 2 days at Cabana Bay and 3 at Portofino Bay. Loved CB, did not love PB. Back in April, 2017 for 8 days at CB with one night at RPR and one night at HRH for express pass. HATED HRH. That's the one hotel we will never return to, but another great trip other than that. Again in April, 2018 for 9 days at RPR followed by the trip this report is about - 5 days at CB in November, 2018.

For those who may not have seen me talking about this latest trip on the boards, 2018 was a stressful year for me. My oldest brother, who is in renal failure and on dialysis, was found to have a large mass in his abdomen and had surgery back in April to remove it. It was a major surgery that ultimately required removal of 70% of his stomach, part of his pancreas, and his spleen. The surgery was literally 2 days before we left for our April trip, and I was fully prepared to cancel, but my sister and other brother stepped in and insisted we go. It turned out to be just what I needed to recharge for the intensive recovery period (my oldest brother lives with me). He came home from the hospital on the day we returned with a feeding tube and a wound drainage tube. Very long story short,by October all the tubes were out and he is back to eating normally, but it was a LONG road to get there.

So when a chance for a short trip in November came up, I waffled but ultimately decided I needed a getaway. So 5 nights at CB was set!

Last edited:
A little backstory about us - I am a 43 year old teacher at a private daycare/preschool. I currently care for the youngest infants and LOVE my job. There is just no better feeling for me than seeing a little one master a new task. DS 22 works with me part time caring for the preschoolers in the afternoon and takes classes at our local community college in the mornings. DS is a Type 1 diabetic (since the age of 2) and high functioning autistic. After a really rough first year of college, we found he does best by taking a couple classes per semester and working part time. This is the two of us.

96488401.jpg

So onto our departure day. We usually fly out on the first flight of the day so we can maximize our park time, but since this was a more budget trip, I went with a later, less expensive flight. We flew out of Dallas just before 8 pm on November 10th, and landed around 11 pm in Orlando. We always use Tony Hinds for our transportation to Universal, and the driver was waiting at baggage claim. What a great start to our vacation! We got our bags (which took FOREVER) and arrived at CB just before midnight. This was where the only bad part of our trip comes in. We get to the check in desk and after the usual process of showing ID and whatnot, we're informed that they have no rooms available. Wait, what?? How is that possible? The guy behind that counter (John) informs me that rooms are given out on a first come, first served basis and we arrived too late. WHAT??? This guy had a horrible attitude and could have cared less about helping us. Finally, after many eyerolls and long suffering sighs, he found us a room. By this point, I was livid. Worst service we have ever received at Universal. But I knew that nothing would be accomplished that night, so we took the room and went to sleep, planning to come back and talk to a manager the next day.

We woke up bright and early the next morning so an 8 am early entry at IOA. We quickly got dressed and I realized that I had forgotten my camera at home, so I have far fewer pics from this trip than usual since I just had my phone. Anyhoo, we ate a quick breakfast at the food court (waffle for me and ham & cheese omelet for DS) and grabbed a bus to Citywalk. DS took this pic at 7:30 on our way to IOA. We love VooDoo Doughnuts (and doughnuts are a special treat for DS that he really only gets at Universal because the extra walking allows him to have more treats).

20181111_072212.jpg

They started letting people into IAO about 7:50, and we booked it to Forbidden Journey. We rode it twice with just a short wait, then wandered around Hogsmeade until they opened the rest of the park. I indulged myself with some pics.

Screenshot_2018-11-15-15-25-24.png

1542317182610.jpg

Last edited:
After the rest of the park opened, we rode Spiderman, Dr. Doom, and Hulk. All had minimal waits. I was worried about not having Express Pass this trip, but it really wasn't needed. By using early entry and keeping up with wait times on the app, we never waited more than 20 mins for anything. It helped that we went in with the idea that we've been before and will be back, so we were prepared to walk away from any lines that were too long.

109625139.jpg

20181111_095431_HDR.jpg

By now, it was nearing 11 am, so we decided to head back to the hotel and grab some lunch as well as talk to the manager. Long story short, the manager handled the situation WONDERFULLY. She upgraded us from a suite to a poolside suite, removed the first night charge, and gave us two free meal vouchers for the food court. She also promised that John would receive some re-training on how to talk to guests. I was very happy. THIS was the service I had come to expect from Universal. :thumbsup2

Sweet deal for you!

Upgrade to pool view
Meal coupons
Reversal of first night room stay

Even though your start was not good, you came out a winner the next day

Very happy to read the hotel manager corrected the woes

Sounds like you got a lot done in the park your first morning

Sweet deal for you!

Upgrade to pool view
Meal coupons
Reversal of first night room stay

Even though your start was not good, you came out a winner the next day

Very happy to read the hotel manager corrected the woes

Sounds like you got a lot done in the park your first morning

Yes, I was very happy with what the manager did. She really went above and beyond to erase the bad experience.

The whole trip I was pleasantly surprised at how low the crowds were. November is a good time to go - plus we got to see the holiday decorations going up.

Hi I just got back on the boards today after a brief absence. It was nice to find your report. I enjoy doing them now it is a great way to relive the trip and give some helpful tips.

We love Cabana Bay also. We have stayed there 3 times now and have been satisfied. We also do love PBH especially after the club level this summer. I am not sure if you have read any of my reports but I too have a 17 year old Asperger's daughter. She is very high function and graduating from high school this year. We have just started the college process. She does very well in High School with several college classes so I am hoping she can transition to full time college.

It sounds like it started off a little rough but quickly made up for it. I am glad that you were satisfied with your outcome:thumbsup2. We had the same experience two years with coming in late and getting a bad room. I know longer will check in late.

I have not gone to Voo Doo donuts yet but will have to put it on my list.

Your pics are nice from your phone. We love walking around HP worlds early entry. I love your pic on the Hulk. Those pictures are the funny entertainment for my family on the trips.

Look forward to more of your report.:)

Just don't know what is wrong with people these days....such attitudes, but so happy for you that the manager made things right!
Looks like you and your son accomplished a LOT in a short time.
Voodoo 'doughnuts' looks like the place to be. I don't like sweets, except for doughnuts....my downfall.
Looking forward to more!!!

Evedallas, come back and tell us more

I’ve enjoyed what you shared so far and hope you return and tell us more!

Yay!!!!

So glad you’ve done a trip report!! Am looking forward to reading along with you.......nice start so far, although your check in experience was dreadful! Not a great start at all.....but I’m so glad to hear it was sorted to your satisfaction by the manager.

Voodoo doughnuts are lush!! They are a weakness of ours.....

Enjoying reading so far........::yes::

Hi I just got back on the boards today after a brief absence. It was nice to find your report. I enjoy doing them now it is a great way to relive the trip and give some helpful tips.

We love Cabana Bay also. We have stayed there 3 times now and have been satisfied. We also do love PBH especially after the club level this summer. I am not sure if you have read any of my reports but I too have a 17 year old Asperger's daughter. She is very high function and graduating from high school this year. We have just started the college process. She does very well in High School with several college classes so I am hoping she can transition to full time college.

It sounds like it started off a little rough but quickly made up for it. I am glad that you were satisfied with your outcome:thumbsup2. We had the same experience two years with coming in late and getting a bad room. I know longer will check in late.

I have not gone to Voo Doo donuts yet but will have to put it on my list.

Your pics are nice from your phone. We love walking around HP worlds early entry. I love your pic on the Hulk. Those pictures are the funny entertainment for my family on the trips.

Look forward to more of your report.:)

I've read your reports - you and your family always look like you're having fun!

Cabana Bay is awesome isn't it? We really love it there - I just wish it had express pass! If it did, we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

You really need to try VooDoo doughnuts - they have some amazing choices.

Just don't know what is wrong with people these days....such attitudes, but so happy for you that the manager made things right!
Looks like you and your son accomplished a LOT in a short time.
Voodoo 'doughnuts' looks like the place to be. I don't like sweets, except for doughnuts....my downfall.
Looking forward to more!!!

It was a great first day! I hope to get more up soon.

Yay!!!!

So glad you’ve done a trip report!! Am looking forward to reading along with you.......nice start so far, although your check in experience was dreadful! Not a great start at all.....but I’m so glad to hear it was sorted to your satisfaction by the manager.

Voodoo doughnuts are lush!! They are a weakness of ours.....

Enjoying reading so far........::yes::

The check in experience was horrible - the guy was doing something on his phone when we walked up, and honestly I got the feeling he was annoyed that we were there making him do his job :rolleyes1 I get that working at midnight probably isn't fun, but come on - it's your job. Luckily the awesome manager made everything right (and we left her kudos at customer relations).

Voodoo doughnuts are the best!

Sorry it's taken so long to update - I got super sick the day after Christmas and just now feel halfway human again!

Back to day 1 - we left happy after dealing with the awesome manager and headed to our new room. We had a fifth floor suite overlooking the lazy river - I loved the view! We quickly unpacked and headed down to the Bayliner Diner with our meal vouchers. I got the BBQ Brisket Grilled Cheese with fries and DS had a bacon cheeseburger with fries (this will be a running theme). I really enjoyed the grilled cheese - the cheese was perfectly melted and melded well with the tender meat and tangy sauce. I did get this without onions as onions upset my stomach. DS scarfed his burger so I assume it was good - but he has never met a burger he didn't like.

We headed back up to the room to rest for a bit before returning to the park. Our schedule this trip was pretty much the same each day - we'd get up early for EE, hit the parks until lunchtime, then return to the hotel for lunch and rest/pool time. Then back to the parks around 3 and until close. It worked really well for us. We headed back out just after three and jumped on a bus. We literally never waited more than a couple minutes for a bus the whole trip.

We decided to hit the Studios and entered the park about 3:40 after getting stuck in the world's longest ticket line. But no matter, we made it in and were happy. I managed to get one pic of the Grinchmas sign as DS was dragging me to Escape From Gringotts :rotfl:

20181111_090343.jpg

HPIM0144.JPG

EFG was amazing as always, and I got lucky enough to catch the dragon breathing fire just as we were leaving the locker area.

untitled.jpg

Next up was Transformers, Mummy (x2 - love that ride), and the Minions before we headed to Springfield, USA. (Please note the lady behind us on Mummy trying to keep the girls in. That top was so low cut I wondered if they'd stay put.;))

109651133.jpg

HPIM0053.JPG

Once in Springfield, we rode the Simpsons ride and hit the food court for dinner. The Simpsons ride never used to bother me, but I've found over the last couple trips that it really messes with my back. Sucks to get older, but it beats the alternative! After we ate, (Clogger Burger for DS, Meat Likers pizza for me), we were both starting to sag. We had been up since 6:30 with only a few hours sleep before, so we decided to make it an early night so we could hit IOA fresh in the morning.

Next up - will our plan of being the first in Diagon Alley work?

Last edited:
I’m sorry you became ill just after Christmas and hope you are starting
to feel better now!

Your pictures are great!

Sounds like you covered a lot in the parks and had fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!