My wife needs a motorized scooter - any recent experiences ???

tjlamphere

DIS Veteran
My wife found out last week that she has a stress fracture in her foot, and now wears a boot. We are headed to WDW the week after next, and she is beside herself. But our family has told her, "no problem, we will get you a motorized vehicle that you will be able to ride in."

Looking for any recent experience that you or someone in your group has had regarding my wife's current situation.

Where did you rent the vehicle from? If you got one offsite, did it easily fit in a van or SUV? Or station wagon???

Were most rides easy to get on and off?

What about shows, like Fantasmic? Decent viewing areas for people in motorized vehicles?

My wife is really bummed....she doesn't want her disability to put a damper on our WDW experience.

Thanks for any thoughts, recommendations, ideas or any other input you can lend....I need to calm my wife's fears and disappointment about her current situation and that everything will work out fine.

My friend uses one and then she broke her foot most ECV comes apart to be able to move them in a vehicular if you are staying at Disney I would use Disney busses. Ride are easy to access she might want a Cain for short walks to help her out. ( sitting all day can be harder then you think).

Most ECV should last all day but I would bring the charging cord with you. And turn off the ECV if sitting still for more then 3-5 seconds yes seconds.

Sorry to hear of your wife's injury! Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of this forum has information about ECV rentals. They are available onsite day by day in the parks or offsite, with offsite rentals being considerably less expensive and allowing you to reserve one in advance for the length of your trip. You can rent one that comes apart for relatively easy transport in a vehicle. The "featured" vendors will deliver/pick-up directly through Bell Services at WDW resorts, and non-featured vendors will meet you in person (which may be helpful to go over how to operate and take apart/put together for transport).

Enjoy your vacation!

I needed one back in may. Rented from Buena Vist Scooters. It was very easy and convenient. They drop it off and pick it up at your hotel concierge desk. If anything goes wrong they will come and replace it any where on Disney property very quickly. The charging cord is attached to the scooter so you always have it with you if you need it. I used it all day in the parks and only had to charge it at night back in the room. Disney bus transportation is great. They load scooters and everyone in your party first. Hope you enjoy your trip. I was very apprehensive about using a scooter but it made our vacation much more enjoyable for everyone.

We are staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, which is not a Disney Resort, but is on Disney property.....I will inquire with a couple of companies to see if they will deliver/pick up at a non Disney hotel. And how did it work returning it if you leave the park at 9 PM on a Saturday night, and are departing your hotel at 8:30 the following morning? Wonder if I left it with the Concierge first thing on Sunday morning, if they would pick it up there?????? This sounds like the best option, and will work better than renting at the Park....no guarantee that the Park would have one, and just traveling from the car to ticket gate would be difficult without a scooter.

Thanks !!!

You just leave it at the concierge desk the morning you are leaving. Very convenient. Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

I have no experience myself, but a lot here will say, go to Lowes or BJ etc, and use a EVC now to get a bit of a feel for one before you get to disney. I've also heard the ones you rent are soooo much better than the ones you see at stores, so don't let that be a discouragement.

We just got back on Saturday. After 3 days of parks, DH decided he just couldn't do all the walking and rented an ECV at animal kingdom on Tuesday (had to wait 3 hours for one to become available). It helped him tremendously, so the next day we called around to see about getting one from an offsite vendor. We were staying off property in Kissimmee. We called Walker Mobility on Wednesday around 3 pm, they delivered it that evening around 630, and showed us how to take it apart for transport. We had a large truck but I don't think you would have a problem fitting it into an SUV or even a car with a decent size trunk. Basically, you remove the seat, take off the 2 batteries, fold down the handle, and then lift the base into the vehicle. It wasn't difficult at all and we had no problem. They were scheduled to pick it up at 9 am on Saturday, so when we got back from the parks on Friday night, we brought it up to the front desk area where Walker would come to pick it up the next morning. The cost was around $85 total including the insurance.

DH did use it for Fantasmic. There are spots in the top row for ECV/wheelchairs, and we were seated on the bench in front of him. We had done Fantasmic dining so we went in the fastpass entrance so not sure how it would work using standby.

DH didn't really use it for any rides, so cant help you there. He would just park it when we got to an area, and would walk to the rides in that area.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

We just got back on Saturday. After 3 days of parks, DH decided he just couldn't do all the walking and rented an ECV at animal kingdom on Tuesday (had to wait 3 hours for one to become available). It helped him tremendously, so the next day we called around to see about getting one from an offsite vendor. We were staying off property in Kissimmee. We called Walker Mobility on Wednesday around 3 pm, they delivered it that evening around 630, and showed us how to take it apart for transport. We had a large truck but I don't think you would have a problem fitting it into an SUV or even a car with a decent size trunk. Basically, you remove the seat, take off the 2 batteries, fold down the handle, and then lift the base into the vehicle. It wasn't difficult at all and we had no problem. They were scheduled to pick it up at 9 am on Saturday, so when we got back from the parks on Friday night, we brought it up to the front desk area where Walker would come to pick it up the next morning. The cost was around $85 total including the insurance.

DH did use it for Fantasmic. There are spots in the top row for ECV/wheelchairs, and we were seated on the bench in front of him. We had done Fantasmic dining so we went in the fastpass entrance so not sure how it would work using standby.

DH didn't really use it for any rides, so cant help you there. He would just park it when we got to an area, and would walk to the rides in that area.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
It was $ 85 for one day??? WDW price is $ 50 and some offsite vendors look to be around $ 40....was hoping to spend something less than $ 75.

It was $ 85 for one day??? WDW price is $ 50 and some offsite vendors look to be around $ 40....was hoping to spend something less than $ 75.

No, the total was $85 - that was for 2 full days. We had it from Wednesday evening to Saturday morning. So around $40/per day.

Some vendors may have a minimum rental period, so be sure to ask when you are getting quotes.

Enjoy your vacation!

Some vendors may have a minimum rental period, so be sure to ask when you are getting quotes.

Enjoy your vacation!
Ah, that is a good deal....we need it from early on Saturday morning to late on Saturday night, a week later....so 8 full days. If they would drop it off on Friday evening and pick it up on Sunday morning from the Concierge at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, that would be GREAT !!!!!!!! And our Grandchildren would love hitching a ride with Grams !!!!! This sounds like a plan and will relieve my wife's mind greatly! Thanks so much for your feedback !!

Ah, that is a good deal....we need it from early on Saturday morning to late on Saturday night, a week later....so 8 full days. If they would drop it off on Friday evening and pick it up on Sunday morning from the Concierge at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, that would be GREAT !!!!!!!! And our Grandchildren would love hitching a ride with Grams !!!!! This sounds like a plan and will relieve my wife's mind greatly! Thanks so much for your feedback !!
All vendors and Disney rules prohibit more than one person on the scooter. It is dangerous for the driver AND all those walking around them. It is not a toy

Thanks....will obey all rules and make sure we have only a solo rider at all times !!!!!! :rolleyes:

Personally, Walker is my preference, but Buena Vista has an on-site location at The Boardwalk at WDW, and is also highly regarded here. With Walker, if you are at a WDW Resort, you will need to meet the delivery person for both drop off and pick up, but that's no big deal, because it gives you all a chance to learn a bit about the ECV from someone who deals with them all day long - and to practice a bit at the Resort - which is something those of us around here with a bit of experience recommend anyway. Taking even 10 minutes to get used to how the scooter handles on curb cuts (the little ramps up and down from the sidewalk to a street level), how it takes tight turns, how it feels to do a sudden or panic stop and especially a wee bit of practice backing up will all benefit her in the long run. A quick run through the Resort shop and/or the Quick Serve is great practice for the Parks too! If you have the time, a run down to Disney Springs (especially during the day when everyone else it at the parks) is a great training ground as well.

Always keep the contact info for the rental company in your phone's contacts, and make sure you know what their after-hours policies and procedures are, just in case there is a problem with the scooter after the office closes for the day. It's very rare that she will ever need that info, but it could save her hours of frustration and problems if she does need it.

Here's a few more tips for a first-time ECV driver:

As we discussed above, please remember that WDW, and all rental vendors have a rule - for everyone's safety - that it's one rider per ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, for the rider, the child, and nearby pedestrians.

Practicing ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze!

Bring a brightly colored scarf, ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit).

You will have to park the ECV in your room every night to charge it, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed. You are not supposed to park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. (Pro tip: go directly to the front desk to ask for the table & chairs to be moved - don't call the "Front Desk" from the room phone, as that call goes to a Call Center for the Resorts, and not the Front Desk of the hotel you are at)

Make sure to charge the ECV completely overnight, every night. Any time the ECV is stopped for more than a few seconds (literally!) TURN IT OFF to conserve battery power. Waiting in a long, slow line? Turn it off. Watching a parade? Turn it off. Parked inside Starbucks for a coffee? Turn it off. If she isn't moving, turn it off. Reputable vendors (like Walker, and others) will make sure to deliver a unit that can hold up to a full "Disney day" - but if she finds the battery runs down too quickly, then she should call the vendor immediately, and ask for a replacement battery - or a replacement unit.

If the scooter has a key, always take it with you.

Don't be surprised if she parks the ECV to go on a ride, or attraction, and it is moved when she returns. (Don't panic! It has NOT been stolen!) The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. She will typically find it quite nearby, but if she doesn't, just ask any nearby CM, and they will help her find it. (And bringing along that length of ribbon, or bandana... Yep, that's where it comes in handy; you'll be able to spot it faster and easier.)

Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving! I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that she WILL at some point find herself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest snack to Instagram.

Probably the hardest thing she will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses. Make sure she is parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees her, and knows she is waiting to ride.

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp she will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until she is used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. Important to know: the drivers will give instructions and will help as much as they can, but it is up to her (or a member of her party) to actually get the ECV up into the bus. She (and any other mobility device users) will always board first, and exit last. Her family can walk up the ramp and board behind her. The bus driver will let them know when it is safe to board the bus *after* the ECV is properly tied down. The bus drivers (and all of the transportation CMs) are nothing short of amazing at WDW!

She can take the ECV on all of the boats (except for the smaller launches) and the Captains have a portable ramp you should be able to use. It is identical to the ramp they will use at the Monorail stations.

Finally, a few quick driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of speed, and she needs to make sure she can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, she will risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and could find herself dumped on to Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

I hope you both have a Magical trip!

I've just spent 2 days solo with a scooter (still here, but DH just arrived so I'm no longer solo). The best ride, I think, is Journey into Imagination. You ride your scooter right up to getting on the ride, then your scooter's waiting when you get off. Kilimanjaro Safari's a good one also-ride your scooter right up to the boarding area, then after the ride, they take you back to your scooter. Last night, I rode just before closing, and I got a private tour since I was the only one on the truck. But about now, I'm ready to throw away everyone's cell phone-people walking and looking at their cell phone, so that they don't see where they're going until they bump into me. Then they look up and blame ME.

I've just spent 2 days solo with a scooter (still here, but DH just arrived so I'm no longer solo). The best ride, I think, is Journey into Imagination. You ride your scooter right up to getting on the ride, then your scooter's waiting when you get off. Kilimanjaro Safari's a good one also-ride your scooter right up to the boarding area, then after the ride, they take you back to your scooter. Last night, I rode just before closing, and I got a private tour since I was the only one on the truck. But about now, I'm ready to throw away everyone's cell phone-people walking and looking at their cell phone, so that they don't see where they're going until they bump into me. Then they look up and blame ME.

In 'everyday life' I'm ready to cover myself and dh in fluorescent colors
Have flashing lights
And a chorus of never ending annoying tunes

And I fear we'd still go unnoticed....

Thank you to everyone who gave advice on this thread! My DH found himself with a boot yesterday and we leave in 10 days for our sans kids trip! Hopefully, this will alleviate some of his fears about riding a scooter.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice on this thread! My DH found himself with a boot yesterday and we leave in 10 days for our sans kids trip! Hopefully, this will alleviate some of his fears about riding a scooter.
My wife got her boot about 2 weeks before our WDW trip....she rode a scooter for 1 day at Universal (from them) and 7 days at WDW (from Buena Vista Scooters). Worked out GREAT !!!!! She did not run anyone over, not even a foot or toe. And we were there during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival and man, was it CROWDED !!!! But without the ECV, my wife never would have been able to navigate the Parks. And make sure you recharge it every night, whether you think it needs it or not. We made that mistake one night, and at Animal Kingdom, her ECV died way back by the Avatar stuff. But we were able to fine a nice CM that showed us a plug for a recharge. I had to go to the front of AK and get a wheel chair and we took turns pushing my wife around for 4 hours.....it all worked out fine. Good luck and your hubby will do just fine !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!