Napa Rose or...

First night Dinner - which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love questions with no wrong answer!!!
This made me laugh.

I'm going to give the edge to Napa Rose for first night dinner. Steakhouse 55 is wonderful, and we really enjoy it, but the ambience of Napa Rose is more 'California' in my opinion. I also agree that breakfast at Steakhouse 55 is delicious and a great option.

We are doing the chefs counter on April 2nd for the first time. If properly paced, a fine dinning experience should last that long. The time will just fly by. Really...no...really....

Agreed. We usually spend 2-3 hours on a nice meal. Typically 2 at carthay or steakhouse, and 2-3 at napa rose.

Hoping for 21 Royal someday!

Napa Rose is a favorite of ours.
We always go in April and it is DH's pick every time for his birthday dinner.
Of course, we love the decor, as with all of the Grand

...how about GF? [DH has celiac]
We do Steakhouse 55 as often as we can (5-6 times a year). One year, we brought a sister in law that was gluten free due to testing being done (had to do 6 mos gluten free) and chef made her meal special, and she said it was the best meal she had ever had, gluten free or not.

....sounded wonderful....but....3 HOURS FOR A MEAL???
Ummm, yes?? If we are not in a hurry, 3-4 hours at Steakhouse 55 is common. Club 33 we have done 4.5 hours when it was just me and my daughter. (730p-1am...) It is surprising how fast time flies when you are having a great time!!

We really like NR and dine there often. We like S55 and have good meals there, too. As others have said, it depends on what style of cuisine you prefer. Go over the menus and choose which one appeals more. And... if you are a chocolate cake fan, then S55 wins, hands down! (Google for a photo of the S55 chocolate cake to see why -- not GF, but maybe you could enjoy this by yourself??)

We haven't tried SH55 but we really enjoyed NR. We also like fine dining. Do you regularly eat at NYC area gourmet restaurants? If so, you'll be accustomed to the slower pace and "preciousness" of some of the food.

Given the fact that you're flying in from NYC and will be tired, I might also suggest just eating in in the bar area. DH and I did that and the food arrived quickly and we were in and out in less than an hour! Now, we couldn't get a dinner reservation so we also ate at 5 pm but it worked out well since we had 3 FP to use starting at 6:30 that had to be used up before 8 pm (RSR, Incredicoaster and GOTG!)! We barely made it.

....our hands-down FAVE place at WDW is Jiko where we've feasted on wild boar for appies and sampled black garlic ice-cream soup (we've eaten there 3 times), so I'd consider us adventurous eaters....:teeth:

[...there's something to be said for a hankerin' for a nice hunk 'o steak too....]

Celiac, yes, call ahead and let them know of any special dietary needs.

I think the 3 AKL restaurants are the best combined meals in one spot for all of WDW.

We are all GF (3 daughters all have celiac and DH and I are both sensitive). DLR is quite good about GF options. We haven't done Steakhouse 55, but I've done the chef's counter at Napa Rose 3 times, twice since we went GF, and it's never a problem. At the chef's counter, especially, since one of the chefs will come over and ask about your preferences, any allergies, etc. and take that into account when making your delicious courses.

I'm assuming it would be the same at Steakhouse 55. Oftentimes any DL restaurant, including counter service, will send a chef out to talk to you and figure out what's good. We've had that at Pizza Planet, Plaza Inn (GF Mickey waffles! and a good GF muffin), and Blue Bayou. BB did a GF version of a Monte Cristo for us.....
....that's what I love about the WDW so much. Every chef visited our table whenever we had a sit-down meal.

....DL just offered discounts for the 3 hotels, now from April 14 to May 23. I had already booked through Dreams Unlimited - I texted my agent and got my balance adjusted, saving over $350!!!! SCORE! Since we will be paying using our Disney Visa points, can we use points to pay for the chef's counter? If so, I am SOOOOO THERE! :hyper:

I've done Chef's counter 3 times I think now. It was AMAZING, and honestly got better every time. I LOVE IT. My last meal there, 364 days ago, was literally the best meal of my life.

I've been to Napa Rose a few times, but haven't gone to S55 before. I look at the menu and see that it's a high-end Steakhouse that is heavy on protein menu options ( which should be expected ). I would assume that the food is great, but I'm not a fan of eating that much meat and prefer some variety when it comes to entree options. I'd assume that if you prefer eating at a high-end Steakhouse that serves Seafood as well, S55 is a good option.

For me, I prefer the variety and taste of California that Napa Rose offers.

I've been to Napa Rose a few times, but haven't gone to S55 before. I look at the menu and see that it's a high-end Steakhouse that is heavy on protein menu options ( which should be expected ). I would assume that the food is great, but I'm not a fan of eating that much meat and prefer some variety when it comes to entree options. I'd assume that if you prefer eating at a high-end Steakhouse that serves Seafood as well, S55 is a good option.

For me, I prefer the variety and taste of California that Napa Rose offers.
And this is why I am so glad they have both options. I am the meat eater, that doesn't get the hype of Napa Rose (yes, eaten there many times, done chef's counter a couple times, and while I liked, much prefer Steakhouse!)

We are all different, and there are places for all of us! I mean, something keeps Captain Kidd's in business!!

Chef's counter is an amazing experience, easy in top 5 meals ever for me and likely to be bumped (probably top 3). It's the good.

Our only meal there we were sat next to the daughter of Don Edgren - who was a Disney Imagineer and is a Disney Legend with a window on Main Street. He built Matterhorn. He built Space Mountain at WDW. He built Tokyo Disneyland. She had some lovely stories to share of her childhood and some early memories of Walt. Quite the surreal experience!

Chef's counter is an amazing experience, easy in top 5 meals ever for me and likely to be bumped (probably top 3). It's the good.

Our only meal there we were sat next to the daughter of Don Edgren - who was a Disney Imagineer and is a Disney Legend with a window on Main Street. He built Matterhorn. He built Space Mountain at WDW. He built Tokyo Disneyland. She had some lovely stories to share of her childhood and some early memories of Walt. Quite the surreal experience!
...sounds like quite the interesting dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts