Natural depression cures/hel

DreamFlightCpt.

Mouseketeer
So, I've been dealing with depression and anxiety all my life, but was finally officially diagnosed back in 2010 and sought professional help. As many in a similar circumstance may know, it comes and goes, some times better or worse than the last. Recently I've been in the depths of a very bad episode and thought about taking perscription meds. I took SSRIs back in 2010 for about a year and weened off of them, they helped but I with my current career pursuits I can't have that as an option. I expressed this concern with my wife and we explored some natural options. I've been using a combination of regular ashwaganda root supplements, tincture of Kava concentrate and chamomile teas (at night) along with mediation. I still have my moments but things seem to be improving. I've also talked to a therapist for the past 6 years (just because you feel better doesn't mean you just stop therapy, be it physical or mental).

Wondering if anyone else out there has any other things and natural remedies that get them through tough times?

My wife is also an aspiring Feng shui consultant and practices her techniques around the house to try and help.

Hi there, DFC. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I know it's hard - my partner struggles with depression, and so this is a subject that's been on my mind a lot lately. Kudos to you for searching for solutions to help yourself.

Have you had your Vitamin D tested? Most Americans are deficient, and Vitamin D is actually a hormone (or so my doctor told me) that is essential to our quality of life. You can take many IUs a day without harm. I would have your levels tested, if you haven't, but you should be able to add a boost of 1-2,000 IUs a day of D3 without harm. (Make sure it's D3.) If you are truly deficient, though, it may take much more than that to bring your values up into a normal range. Best to be safe and have a doctor look at it. My partner tried St. Johns Wort, but honestly she said it didn't seem to make any difference to her.

Exercise has also been very helpful for my partner. She has some anxiety too, and exercise burns off her excess energy and seems to leave her feeling pretty centered and blissful.

The other thing I would recommend at this point is meditation and mindfulness. I don't want to get into a religion discussion since that's prohibited on the board, but a mindfulness practice has helped me a lot.

The last thing I would say is that I once heard happiness depends on having three types of happiness (you must have all three): 1) pleasure, 2) socialization, 3) meaning/purpose. Most people are good at pleasure - we know well how to overindulge in food, or otherwise pamper ourselves. But in this internet day and age, we often don't get enough socialization, and we all struggle with meaning. So I would recommend looking at your life through the lens of those three categories and seeing where you could improve - maybe taking on some volunteer work that would give your life added meaning, and give you a chance to meet new friends, too? Or joining a club focused on something that makes you happy.

Hang in there. <3

Hi there, DFC. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I know it's hard - my partner struggles with depression, and so this is a subject that's been on my mind a lot lately. Kudos to you for searching for solutions to help yourself.

Have you had your Vitamin D tested? Most Americans are deficient, and Vitamin D is actually a hormone (or so my doctor told me) that is essential to our quality of life. You can take many IUs a day without harm. I would have your levels tested, if you haven't, but you should be able to add a boost of 1-2,000 IUs a day of D3 without harm. (Make sure it's D3.) If you are truly deficient, though, it may take much more than that to bring your values up into a normal range. Best to be safe and have a doctor look at it. My partner tried St. Johns Wort, but honestly she said it didn't seem to make any difference to her.

Hang in there. <3

Thanks for the info. I've never heard about Vitamin D and how it relates to depression. It sounds like something to look in to. I've gotten back into mediation and those three keys to happiness you described are things I've been proactively trying more to get better with. The way I view it is that mental therapy is like physical therapy. Just because you did all the exercises and you feel healed, doesn't mean you should stop. keep up with them to avoid further injury. Unfortunately, I didn't do that and I've injured myself again. Just have to get my self to heal properly and keep up with the maintenance this time around.

You talked about socialization and finding hobbies/activities, which I find is pretty spot on. This is pretty much how I found the DIS. When I was a kid, Disney made me happy and I would always get out of a funk thinking about my last/next trip to WDW. I found this community a couple weeks ago and since then it's helped. I finally decided to join the boards and talk with like minded people. It's helped quite a bit. Thanks for the kind words, and I know your partner appreciates the support. My wife probably takes on a similar role that you do and I can say that it helps when someone you've pledged your life to upholds their promise to stick with it through thick and thin.

I took SSRIs back in 2010 for about a year and weened off of them, they helped but I with my current career pursuits I can't have that as an option.

why not? What career would that be? And is it the right one for you if you have to sacrifice your mental health?

Things that aren't SSRIs that are known to help:
1. Exercise. 4-5 times a week. This isn't the "walk the dog around the block" exercise (though that helps). You need aerobic exercise for 30-45 minutes. Get your heart pumping and your breathing going.
2. Diet. Really limit both sugar and caffeine. Increase your protein intake. Do whole grains, fruits and veggies. Limit the refined carbs. Refined carbs and sugar raise your blood sugar level quickly, and then drop it off. That drop off can make you feel worse.
3. Social support. It sucks big time, because the last thing you want to do when you're depressed is reach out to other people, but having people to meet or things to do can get you through the day. If you just can't do it, can you ask someone (your wife, a trusted friend, a pastor) to help arrange people to come see you and take you out on a walk a few days a week? I did that about 5 years ago when I was in a really really bad spot. Our pastor asked me who I felt comfortable with, and called them all for me. It made a huge huge difference.
4. Sleep. Getting the right amount of sleep (not too little) helps you heal. Exercise helps you sleep better.
5. Counseling - you need to retrain your brain, and this takes time. Things like meditation and yoga also help.

Finally, I'd really suggest that you consider SSRIs/SNRIs. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for 15+ years. Meds are a crucial component to my mental health. I also work (to varying degrees of success on the other things I listed), but meds are the stabilizer my brain needs. I liken it to having high blood pressure - some people are incredibly physically fit, and through an unfortunate combination of genes, still get heart disease and need meds. I know a marathoner who ate incredibly well who had a heart attack at 50-something. Every man in the family had a heart attack around that age. For me, I got the unfortunate combination of genes+environment that makes me prone to mental health issues.

I'm wondering what your career is that you can't take SSRIs?

thinga have helped me:

1)SAMe supplements. These are actually prescribed as antidepressants in other countires, but in the US they are just OTC supplements.
2) Vitamin D
3) Vitamin B12
4) Regular Workouts
5) Eating healthy
6) Talking to a counselor. Antidepressants can help, but it should always be combined with counseling. I can't take SSRIs due to a history of serotonin sickness, but talking to therapist really helped with my post partum abxiety and depression

Without going into too much detail, I'm a pilot working towards my ratings and establishing a flying career. It's my dream and always has been. Back in 2010, coincidentally a month after I started first taking SSRIs, the FAA passed new regulations that stripped pilots of medical certificates (certificates saying that we meet the basic physical requirements mandated by federal regs in order to fly aircraft in any capacity, private, commercial etc), if they were taking anti-depressants with a focus on SSRIs. At the time this first occurred, there were no clear ways to get your medical back. After about 3 years, and many hoops I was finally able to get my medical certification back and continue flying. With that being said it has severely delayed my progress and I've currently got too much invested in this pursuit to be delayed again.

I don't regret taking SSRIs, they worked for me but it was at a cost I can't bear again. When I found out I couldn't fly the first time it made my depression even worse for about 6 months. I can't and won't go through that again.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions

So having a diagnosis of anxiety or depression is ok, but you can't take SSRIs? Odd. But it is what it is.

Have you (can you) talk to a psychiatrist? There are meds that may help that don't fall into the SSRI category.

I second trying B12. You can get your doctor to test to see if it is low. Another thing I haven't seen here is to try methyl folate. Some folks with depression (especially if you see it in the immediate family) have a genetic inability to metabolize folic acid. Folate is critical for so many things, including carrying serotonin to the brain. While it wasn't a cure for depression for someone, it definitely lifted the floor. There are genetic tests that help doctors prescribe meds that are more likely to help, but since methyl folate is available over the counter, you can try that on your own.

So having a diagnosis of anxiety or depression is ok, but you can't take SSRIs? Odd. But it is what it is.

Couldn't agree more. The way the FAA writes their regs make it purposely ambiguous so if they see in your records any sort of psychotropic medication it throws up flags to them. I guess a long time ago when these were becoming more standardized in their use the FAA was seeing an increase inaccidents where flight crew members who had anxiety/depression issues were found to have been taking SSRIs and other meds. Some were deliberate suicides, others were not but they all had the same common theme. And while it was wholly inconclusive that these meds were the "cause" of such accidents there was the same connections of a crew member taking these meds. So, that's why the FAA doesn't look too kindly on that. Odd, yes but when the FAA doesn't know the cause of something they make blanket regs to try and ensure any possibility is covered.

Also I've been seeing a therapist for the past 5 years. That's the one thing that has been consistent with all of this. I see enough people suggesting b12 to think maybe I should ask a doctor more about it. It's good to know there are much more alternative treatments than I thought.

Yes!!! To the vitamin d suggestions! Make sure it is D3 (better absorption) and like it was already posted, you can take as much as you like... I have been taking 10,000 units a away for over six months and my levels have only gone up to 24 (60 is ideal). Great ideas with b vitamins too... Though instead of B12, I would suggest a B complex to get the full family of B vitamins (some will cause cramping and diarrhea... It is completely specific to each person, one brand works better for one person but cause issues for another so keep that in mind as you may need to switch). I would add Omega oils too. Personally I have not seen a difference, but studies strongly suggest it helps. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Hello friends!
I've been dealing with anxiety and depression for most of my life but only officially got diagnosed and placed on medication in 2015. The medication does really help for sure, but it doesn't solve my issues by any means. Recently I've been exploring massage therapy, aromatherapy with essential oils, yoga, meditation, and general mindfulness. I still seem to be having a lot of up and down days and the dumbest things can trigger a spiral for me. Do you guy have any suggestions for vitamins, herbal supplements, etc? I've considered going to therapy many times too but honestly I'm very afraid of opening myself up to new people IRL so I haven't quite gotten up the nerve to try it out yet.

I have been struggling with anxiety/depression all of my life. I was on meds at one time, but I do not like how I feel on them. So I do my best with other remedies, but trust me, it's hard! Definitely exercise, even though I don't do it as much as I should. Yoga and acupuncture also help me feel better, but can get quite expensive. Vitamin D is also a huge help, especially in the winter when I don't get enough sunshine. I have also lately been trying essential oils--there are various mixtures out there that help with relaxation, sleep, jaw clenching (which I do as a result of stress/anxiety), etc. I'm also a huge advocate for counseling, but that has also been a struggle for me because I cannot seem to find one that suits my needs. I also want to add that you should be mindful of what your triggers are, and learn how to cope with them. Some things I avoid because I know they are going to cause me anxiety, like certain social situations. But if it's something that I absolutely MUST do, like a presentation at work that involved public speaking, then I find ways to deal with my fears and overcome them.

I just stumbled on this and I know it's late but in case anyone else is wondering. St. John's Wort has been proven to work as well as mild antidepressants and it's a common treatment in Europe esp. Germany/Austria. I believe you can take 900mg/day but check the package directions to be sure. I have taken it and it really really really helped. A blood test also showed a vitamin D deficiency. The amounts you need to take to recover vitamin D are large. I remember no supplement in the store having enough as to what my doctor prescribed so you do need a prescription for a really strong vitamin D3 supplement. Here in the US I find those drink punches like Emergen C have a lot so I took those upon moving with the St. Johns Wort. Has been doing the trick. Of course, talk to a professional if you can!

A few things based on my experiences....Exercise. Think of it as your "medicine". As hard as it can be to do, it can be as effective as SSRIs for mild depression. Also sleep. Sleep well, as much as you need but try to keep a good sleep schedule. When I get in funks, I'll stay up all night worrying or reading, and then be exhausted the next day. Then I'll sleep in huge chunks on the weekend to "catch up". It doesn't work well for my depression.
Sunshine. Combine that with exercise. Also, I try to minimize all distractions and keep decision making to a minimum in order to not stress myself. I turn off the tv, try to minimize phone time/FB etc. Also no alcohol. I definitely notice a huge difference in my mood when I have a few on the weekends. It totally throws me off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!