Na'vi River Journey is temporarily closed

I repeat what many have already said, that the competition between Disney and Universal is healthy and good for all! Attractions close, rides break down, especially when they are new. No matter how much they are tested. I LOVE Pandora! Both rides and the entire land alike! I look forward to everything coming from Disney! Some will be pleased as punch and some will be eternally unhappy. Oh, and yes, Universal has bought land in order to build a 3rd park. Disney has been sitting on a large parcel of land for a potential "5th gate"! Not to mention PLENTY more land to expand every other park. Universal is "playing catch up" as one person has already written and Disney will build as needed to counteract.

Wasn't there supposedly a second AA Shaman just off-stage that could replace the one that breaks down until it's repaired?

Or was that just a rumor?

Yes, and consider in the month+ it's been operating this is the first breakdown we've heard about for NRJ. I'd say that is pretty good!

Heard about because you can't hide the fact that the only animatronic and main star of show is broken. They likely have had lots of issues but most would never notice.

I repeat what many have already said, that the competition between Disney and Universal is healthy and good for all! Attractions close, rides break down, especially when they are new. No matter how much they are tested. I LOVE Pandora! Both rides and the entire land alike! I look forward to everything coming from Disney! Some will be pleased as punch and some will be eternally unhappy. Oh, and yes, Universal has bought land in order to build a 3rd park. Disney has been sitting on a large parcel of land for a potential "5th gate"! Not to mention PLENTY more land to expand every other park. Universal is "playing catch up" as one person has already written and Disney will build as needed to counteract.

While a healthy competition I don't know that their markets are perfectly aligned, maybe more that Disney is trying to maintain their adult base as kids age.

Well Universal bought enough land for more than a 3rd park, I imagine it will be 3 and 4.

You word that like the Disney land is not attached to WDW ... so where do you predict it will be?

Wasn't there supposedly a second AA Shaman just off-stage that could replace the one that breaks down until it's repaired?

Or was that just a rumor?

Be nice to have a second on on-stage, maybe even three ..........

The Shaman may use the most advanced systems available, but the witch in the GMR is still the most impressive animatronic in WDW. May be just me; mileage may very for others.

G’day
III

That's what Cast Member and Annual Passholder previews are for. I don't go to the store and buy things that haven't been tested. Why should theme parks be any different?

I don't buy a monster fridge that eats my food and tell myself "Oh well, it's a new appliance. General Electric will come and fix it eventually, I just got to keep my dog away from it."

Because you can build a test model of a 1,000 fridge without much risk to your company. You can't do that easily with a $400 million dollar ride. Engineers work out most of the kinks in the design phase, but these newer attractions are so much more complex that things get missed. Could they be caught in the development or design phase? Maybe. Small appliances are easy to test and rework. Major attractions have time build in for fixes, but perhaps this one is complex enough that the issue didn't even show up until the whole thing was build and assembled and now its just a matter of figuring out how to fix it without dismantling part of it - an issue that no other industry has to deal with - fix your product while it is operating and people are using it. While i get that it is a problem and a frustration, maybe take a deep breath and give them a few months to find a solution. The thing has only been open for six weeks or so, including previews.

Because you can build a test model of a 1,000 fridge without much risk to your company. You can't do that easily with a $400 million dollar ride. Engineers work out most of the kinks in the design phase, but these newer attractions are so much more complex that things get missed.

The "Na'vi mini journey" isn't like "Frozen" or "7 Dwarfs Mine", which are also fairly new. They got a lot going on inside them. You can understand them breaking down, because both have many more animatronics. Na'vi only has one animatronic, they don't have to fix the TV screens and the glow in the dark plants (That people are overly excited about). One... one.

The "Na'vi mini journey" isn't like "Frozen" or "7 Dwarfs Mine", which are also fairly new. They got a lot going on inside them. You can understand them breaking down, because both have many more animatronics. Na'vi only has one animatronic, they don't have to fix the TV screens and the glow in the dark plants (That people are overly excited about). One... one.
Yikes. You seem kind of snobby about this. I thought the ride was gorgeous and the technology was seemless. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks
Because you can build a test model of a 1,000 fridge without much risk to your company. You can't do that easily with a $400 million dollar ride. Engineers work out most of the kinks in the design phase, but these newer attractions are so much more complex that things get missed. Could they be caught in the development or design phase? Maybe. Small appliances are easy to test and rework. Major attractions have time build in for fixes, but perhaps this one is complex enough that the issue didn't even show up until the whole thing was build and assembled and now its just a matter of figuring out how to fix it without dismantling part of it - an issue that no other industry has to deal with - fix your product while it is operating and people are using it. While i get that it is a problem and a frustration, maybe take a deep breath and give them a few months to find a solution. The thing has only been open for six weeks or so, including previews.

Tons of industries deal with the same issue. The fact is any complex system of parts will have infant mortality issues that you have to work through. The newer, rarer or more complex the technology the more issues you're likely to have.

If there is anything systematically failing they'll develope fixes, but sometimes you just get bad parts too.

Yep, my brother is a mechanic at Universal and they have their fair share of issues :stir:

I repeat what many have already said, that the competition between Disney and Universal is healthy and good for all! Attractions close, rides break down, especially when they are new. No matter how much they are tested. I LOVE Pandora! Both rides and the entire land alike! I look forward to everything coming from Disney! Some will be pleased as punch and some will be eternally unhappy. Oh, and yes, Universal has bought land in order to build a 3rd park. Disney has been sitting on a large parcel of land for a potential "5th gate"! Not to mention PLENTY more land to expand every other park. Universal is "playing catch up" as one person has already written and Disney will build as needed to counteract.[/QUOT
The new water park at Universal is their 3rd park, unless you meant like a full theme park like IOA. I'm not sure what the water park at Universal is like, if it's like BB or TL. I'd love to see a 5th gate at Disney :maleficen

Last edited:
I wonder what the Shaman's been consuming. She seems really mello sitting by the riverbank. And she's completely unfazed by the different people floating by her on the river.

I don't know what she has, but I want to party with her. I'm into tall blue girls.

Bigger than the Yeti...Wowsers :earseek:

Exactly, that's a good point. A few of the posters here are coming up with excuses for Disney. But what about the mighty Yeti?

Expedition Everest opened in the spring of 2006 and a couple months after that the Yeti broke. The imagineers and Disney have refused or are unable to fix it. And more than a decade later it still remains just a hairy statue, that you hardly notice.

Exactly, that's a good point. A few of the posters here are coming up with excuses for Disney. But what about the mighty Yeti?

Expedition Everest opened in the spring of 2006 and a couple months after that the Yeti broke. The imagineers and Disney have refused or are unable to fix it. And more than a decade later it still remains just a hairy statue, that you hardly notice.
It's not the imagineers. It's Disney. They don't want to pay and take the ride down. Imagineers have plans to fix it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!