NCL Escape Specialty Dining

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
We were given three specialty dining restaurants as a perk with our reservation for Bermuda.

We are booked at Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki. Are those good choices? Anyone with past dining experience or opinions about them or any of the other specialty restaurants. Our travel mates ate going to Bayamo. Thanks.

Good choices. Teppanyaki is very popular, we didn’t choose it because we have a habachi a mile away here at home.

We've gone on two NCL cruises and enjoyed most of the specialty dining options. Cagney's was our favorite on both cruises. On our first cruise (12 nights), we liked Cagney's and Le Bistro so much, that we ate at each of those restaurants twice.

NCL nickel and dimes their passengers by providing subpar main dining room food, pushing everyone to paid dining.

Would never cruise them again.

NCL nickel and dimes their passengers by providing subpar main dining room food, pushing everyone to paid dining.

Would never cruise them again.
I really enjoyed the food in the MDR on our last cruise. I tend to make good choices. With a family of 7, we tried many things, some hits, some misses. Pasta was pretty bad IMHO. I don’t think they push specialty, they give so many din8bg packages for free that it’s hard to get reservations.

We were given three specialty dining restaurants as a perk with our reservation for Bermuda.

We are booked at Cagney's, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki. Are those good choices? Anyone with past dining experience or opinions about them or any of the other specialty restaurants. Our travel mates ate going to Bayamo. Thanks.
Those are the classic three - most NCL ships have had all of them since they introduced Freestyle almost 20 years ago. I'd say if you were going to try 3 of the myriad choices, you did well. I must say though that while the specialty dining venues will be a lot better than the MDR, I personally was very impressed with the MDR on my last NCL cruise. I'm not sure what ship you're sailing on but if it has an O'Sheehan's 24 Hour Pub, we really enjoyed it as an alternative to room service. Have a great trip! :boat:

Those are the classic three - most NCL ships have had all of them since they introduced Freestyle almost 20 years ago. I'd say if you were going to try 3 of the myriad choices, you did well. I must say though that while the specialty dining venues will be a lot better than the MDR, I personally was very impressed with the MDR on my last NCL cruise. I'm not sure what ship you're sailing on but if it has an O'Sheehan's 24 Hour Pub, we really enjoyed it as an alternative to room service. Have a great trip! :boat:

Yes, it has O'Sheehan's -- which we really enjoyed on the Breakaway two years ago. So looking forward to that. Their breakfasts are great.

Anyone done the Moderno one? It looks like a lot of food, but might be more fun than Teppanyaki maybe? :confused3

We did Moderno on Escape and really enjoyed it. The best part is the immense salad bar! It had amazing food on it from cured meats, specialty cheeses to sushi. Escape has been my favorite ship yet. We sailed on her twice.

We did Moderno on Escape and really enjoyed it. The best part is the immense salad bar! It had amazing food on it from cured meats, specialty cheeses to sushi. Escape has been my favorite ship yet. We sailed on her twice.

Thank you so much! We are thinking of changing the Teppanyaki to Moderno.

I've heard good things about Teppanyaki, but we never ate there. We have eaten at Moderno while on the Getaway. My whole family really enjoyed the experience. As trishbruce said, the salad bar is great; just make sure you leave room for all the meat selections.

UGH -- Moderno and La Cucina (sp?) are full, so looks like we'll be staying with Teppanyaki.

Here's what may sound like an odd question -- but for those who have done it, do you come out "smelling" like the food and grease, etc. The one time we did this at a local restaurant, we had to throw our clothes in the washer right away LOL. The ventilation there was awful.

UGH -- Moderno and La Cucina (sp?) are full, so looks like we'll be staying with Teppanyaki.

Here's what may sound like an odd question -- but for those who have done it, do you come out "smelling" like the food and grease, etc. The one time we did this at a local restaurant, we had to throw our clothes in the washer right away LOL. The ventilation there was awful.
I don’t remember that being the case at all on the Pearl, but then again I don’t recall it happening at our local place here at home either. :confused3 If you’re worried about it take a garbage bag along to bag up your clothes afterwards if you don’t want to do laundry while on-board. (Presuming NCL ships have laundry facilities - I’ve never even considered doing wash on vacation! :goodvibes )

I don’t remember that being the case at all on the Pearl, but then again I don’t recall it happening at our local place here at home either. :confused3 If you’re worried about it take a garbage bag along to bag up your clothes afterwards if you don’t want to do laundry while on-board. (Presuming NCL ships have laundry facilities - I’ve never even considered doing wash on vacation! :goodvibes )

Thanks. Me neither -- if it's a 7-night cruise or less, I leave the laundry until I get home. I'm going to assume their ventilation is better than our local brand since we have never really smelled anything coming from that location when we pass by.

I don't think any NCL ships have self-serve laundry facilities. On the two NCL ships, we've been on, they offer a discounted laundry serve sometime mid-cruise.

The hold back reservations, you can book them after you board.

We were disappointed with Teppanyaki only because we were seated with people with Celiac Disease. Two of them, six of us. The entire meal ended up being very bland, overcooked, dry and looooong. They cooked everything all first with no seasoning at all so the GF people got their entire meal at once no soy sauce anywhere on the grill and the chef only had to do one show. After they cooked the entire meal with no seasoning with our stuff on the side they then seasoned the everything and cooked it more. It was bland because nothing absorbed any flavor I guess or they cut down on our seasoning. I was disappointed that NCL would say they could handle GF at Teppanyaki and have it end up affecting the dining experience of the 6 other people but whatever @@

Moderno we liked, it's a ton of food. Bear in mind, at least on the Breakaway, Moderno has themed lunch buffets. Check out the daily schedule to see what they are offering every day. We went for the Indian Buffet and it was amazing!! Cagneys is great but their sides seem to be getting smaller and smaller....

We were disappointed with Teppanyaki only because we were seated with people with Celiac Disease. Two of them, six of us. The entire meal ended up being very bland, overcooked, dry and looooong. They cooked everything all first with no seasoning at all so the GF people got their entire meal at once no soy sauce anywhere on the grill and the chef only had to do one show. After they cooked the entire meal with no seasoning with our stuff on the side they then seasoned the everything and cooked it more. It was bland because nothing absorbed any flavor I guess or they cut down on our seasoning. I was disappointed that NCL would say they could handle GF at Teppanyaki and have it end up affecting the dining experience of the 6 other people but whatever @@

Moderno we liked, it's a ton of food. Bear in mind, at least on the Breakaway, Moderno has themed lunch buffets. Check out the daily schedule to see what they are offering every day. We went for the Indian Buffet and it was amazing!! Cagneys is great but their sides seem to be getting smaller and smaller....
That’s a shame, Dd goes to our local hibachi a lot, they prepare her food in the kitchen with gf soy sauce, and she gets to enjoy the show and not have to eat bland food. She loves it.

Try for them again when you board.

Thanks for asking these questions... we just booked this cruise for the fall. When are you going?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter