NE USA Trip

DrunkJam

DIS Veteran
I NEVER thought I'd look at ABD but...
I have lived, worked and holidayed in USA (despite being British and currently resident in UK) BUT I have never seen Washington DC or Gettysburg or Philadelphia.
So, if I understand correctly, I can book myself on the ABD that covers this, then buy my own flights (I have Virgin points burning a hole in my pocket!) and join the tour where they say the start point is?

I NEVER thought I'd look at ABD but...
I have lived, worked and holidayed in USA (despite being British and currently resident in UK) BUT I have never seen Washington DC or Gettysburg or Philadelphia.
So, if I understand correctly, I can book myself on the ABD that covers this, then buy my own flights (I have Virgin points burning a hole in my pocket!) and join the tour where they say the start point is?
While I do not recall ever having any Brits or other non-Americans/Canadians on any of my ABDs (and I've done 11) so I'm not 100% sure if non-Americans/Canadians can book an ABD, I've never seen anything that says you can't. You have to book with ABD by phone. Their website does not have the functionality to let you book online like DCL or the Parks. So I would call or email ABD to confirm that.

Assuming you can, then yes, you book yourself onto the Philadelphia and Washington DC ABD. Since you are using points, you'd book your flights yourself (you have the choice to have ABD book flights for you if you want, but they can't book using points). And then either be met by ABD at the Philadelphia airport or get yourself to the hotel where the trip starts (currently the Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia). Do note that the trip ends in DC, so if you are having ABD transport you to the airport, you'd be flying out of Dulles International airport in DC.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sayhello

I believe that is the case! Philadelphia's airport is huge, so you should easily be able to get there from any major UK airport.

While I do not recall ever having any Brits or other non-Americans/Canadians on any of my ABDs (and I've done 11) so I'm not 100% sure if non-Americans/Canadians can book an ABD, I've never seen anything that says you can't. You have to book with ABD by phone. Their website does not have the functionality to let you book online like DCL or the Parks. So I would call or email ABD to confirm that.

Assuming you can, then yes, you book yourself onto the Philadelphia and Washington DC ABD. Since you are using points, you'd book your flights yourself (you have the choice to have ABD book flights for you if you want, but they can't book using points). And then either be met by ABD at the Philadelphia airport or get yourself to the hotel where the trip starts (currently the Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia). Do note that the trip ends in DC, so if you are having ABD transport you to the airport, you'd be flying out of Dulles International airport in DC.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sayhello
Thanks for your thorough and informative response! I will certainly call them when I am ready. Takes the hassle out of organising to see such things solo without driving!

While I do not recall ever having any Brits or other non-Americans/Canadians on any of my ABDs (and I've done 11) so I'm not 100% sure if non-Americans/Canadians can book an ABD, I've never seen anything that says you can't.

We had three people from Japan on our August 2019 Backstage Magic ABD.

We've also had non USA folks on our trips.

This one hits some pretty neat things to see and do. If I may offer a couple of recommendations - stay an extra day to further explore the Smithsonian in DC, everything to a massive steam locomotive, TRex, the hope diamond, it just goes on and on. We live about 2 hours west (over the mountains and through the woods...) and have been more than 30 times and still have only seen a small amount of what they have. And it's all free. Also, since you are departing from Dulles, plan to arrive several hours early. The Smithsonian has an annex (Uver Huzey or something like that) at Dulles airport. You can take a shuttle over to the museum (parking is NOT free). It's just beyond the end of the runways. On the roof you can experience being underneath some massive planes as they take off and land (I always duck). Inside is one of the space shuttles, Enola Gay, Wright brothers planes, etc. to which you can get very up close and personal. A neat way to end the trip.

Also the DC subway (Metro) is very easy to use and maneuver all through DC. You can get almost anywhere with it.

We hope you enjoy the trip - even if it is really focused on US history.

We've also had non USA folks on our trips.

This one hits some pretty neat things to see and do. If I may offer a couple of recommendations - stay an extra day to further explore the Smithsonian in DC, everything to a massive steam locomotive, TRex, the hope diamond, it just goes on and on. We live about 2 hours west (over the mountains and through the woods...) and have been more than 30 times and still have only seen a small amount of what they have. And it's all free. Also, since you are departing from Dulles, plan to arrive several hours early. The Smithsonian has an annex (Uver Huzey or something like that) at Dulles airport. You can take a shuttle over to the museum (parking is NOT free). It's just beyond the end of the runways. On the roof you can experience being underneath some massive planes as they take off and land (I always duck). Inside is one of the space shuttles, Enola Gay, Wright brothers planes, etc. to which you can get very up close and personal. A neat way to end the trip.

Also the DC subway (Metro) is very easy to use and maneuver all through DC. You can get almost anywhere with it.

We hope you enjoy the trip - even if it is really focused on US history.
Wow, some awesome suggestions, thank you!

I don’t know if it works for all trips, but often ABD will provide airport/hotel transportation a day or two early or late if you want more time to explore the area. You just have to be transported to the same hotel that the Adventure uses. You can usually book extra hotel days either through ABD or on your own.

I'd add you can also go see the Smithsonian modern art museum and I LOVE the National Portrait Gallery which also shares space with the American Folk Art (I think that's the name) Museum. All free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!