Need advice about what to do with kids in the evening?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
We get to tag along with DH who has to work while I entertain the kids at DL. I've done this once before so I'm feeling pretty confident about having to kill time for a few days at DL of all places. My only hiccup is the one night he has a late work dinner is a W MHP Night so the park closes at 6:00. DH wanted to do a WoC package so I booked Carthay for us the next night so WOC is out. We are staying at DLH so I'm trying to figure out something fun for us to do at DCA or DTD. This will be about day 3 of open to close at the parks, plus an evening or two, so there's nothing show or ride wise we need to fit in. We will have another 2 full days left at the parks in our trip at this point. I splurged on MHP tickets for the 4 of us on the M MHP Night prior so MHP is out. Is there anything to consider at DCA? My kids will be 7.5 and newly 5. I was disappointed with the Rainforest Cafe on or last trip. The food wasn't any good and we were crammed in on a very busy night. I've seen a lot of positive posts about it. Was this an off night? If I make a reservation is there a fun area to request with fun things for the kids to look at? We also did Brennan's and the food was great but pricy. There was a recent post talking about the decadent desserts, can you go for just dessert? If so, can we just split dessert? The only other thing I could think of was Goofy's which we've done before but all of the postings have been pretty negative about it so I don't know if I should even consider it. I know I can wing it and we will still have fun but I know if I want to do something with TS I should figure it out and make a reservation. Any ideas? Thanks!

Isn't there bowling in DTD now?

I vote for a movie too. We were there when Moana came out. It was fun to go and see the movie one afternoon.
The next day we did the meet N' greet with Moana.

The on-site hotels offer special activities for guests. I'd do one of these as DCA will be very busy due to the MHP that night in DL.
If I were you I'd check out the special movie that night- they'll give you a schedule/guide when you check in at the DLH that says which one they'll be playing and the location (DLH, Grand, or Paradise Pier hotel). Get some dinner to go from the hotel or DTD and take it with you to the movie!

Isn't there bowling in DTD now?

I vote for a movie too. We were there when Moana came out. It was fun to go and see the movie one afternoon.
The next day we did the meet N' greet with Moana.

I don't think the bowling alley is open yet. Everything I've read says Nov/Dec.

A movie comes to mind first.

We have avoided Rainforest in past trips, but ate there last week and it was such a great experience for us.

Depending on the weather a late evening swim?

But honestly, there is a good chance I would just give my kids a little down time in the room. Sounds like you've got a pretty packed trip, so they may appreciate pjs, a picnic (either room service or something brought in from DTD - we do Earl of Sandwich) and a little tv.

Otherwise, maybe just repeat rides your kids like in DCA.

DCA stays open when DL closes for the Halloween Party. You can get fast passes for a couple of rides your kids want to ride, get a Mickey's Kitchen Sink Sundae at Clarabelle's on Buena Vista St and enjoy the bustle around you. Have dinner at Whitewater Snacks in DGC after having fun in DCA. WWS closes at 9pm. They have indi pizzas that come with salads that are really good and the price is decent too. The nachos are good too. You can get the food to go too. Go swimming in the evening and tire those kids out! Grab a pizza at Napolinis and watch a movie. So much to do. Ask your kids what they would like to do while dad is working. You may be surprised with their answer.

Depending on the weather a late evening swim?

But honestly, there is a good chance I would just give my kids a little down time in the room. Sounds like you've got a pretty packed trip, so they may appreciate pjs, a picnic (either room service or something brought in from DTD - we do Earl of Sandwich) and a little tv.

This is what I would do. A trip to the pool if the weather is nice enough or just some relaxing in the room watching tv, reading or for my kids playing on whichever electronic device they have brought with them. My kids are a bit older now but I still try to plan at least one morning or evening for every 5 or 6 days of vacation. I do laundry (if there are laundry facilities available) and we just relax. Usually, we order room service which my kids love but sometimes we grab something easy to bring back to the room or pool.

ESPN Zone has arcade type games upstairs. Between that and the movie theater, I think you'll be able to keep the kids entertained without having to travel too far.

Anaheim Garden Walk was a ghost town the last time I was there, but they've moved House of Blues over to there, so maybe there is more stuff there now.

They can't handle cold pools. They turn blue during swim lessons and want out even though they love the pool. I'm guessing the pool won't be too warm at DLH?

I wish I knew what was playing at the movies then. I tried googling but didn't find anything family friendly. I'm also nervous about going to the movies without my DH, inevitably someone will have to go to the bathroom and I can't leave the other one behind so it's probably not worth it.

I definitely don't plan on staying out too late and getting us rest but they are going to be used to staying up late for this trip so I'm not sure how successful trying to enforce an early bedtime will be in the middle of it, especially if he isn't back they could insist on waiting up or he could wake them coming in.

I didn't know about onsite activities! Thanks! That could definitely be fun after dinner.

I had wanted to do Pirates or Medieval Times for dinner and DH was really excited about Pirates so I definitely cannot go without him. Plus then I run into the same problem if (or when) someone needs to use the restroom. Plus at an event dinner if we all get up would they clear the meal away? Plus I wouldn't want us to be walking in front of people. This is clearly why we don't eat fancier than Chipotle type places with my hubby for man on man coverage!

You're going in October? The pools might still be warm enough. When we last went for Halloween time it was down right hot. But we still swim when we go in November.

I think you can do a quiet evening in the room without making it an early bedtime. But I've leaned my family does well with some downtime like that.

Another option is to stop at one of the Candy shops and grab a few different treats. then take them back to the hotel and sit by the pool or in the room and share them.

or buy a new disney movie and watch it in the room while you eat the treat from the candy shop.

another vote for swim and early bed. The pool will be a bit cold, so a short swim, hot tub, off to bed. They'll be exhausted by then and I'm sure it will feel awesome to just lounge around your room. Otherwise I might check out the resort movie night.
My kids like RFC....the food is terrible so we just do apps and that volcano dessert and they love it.

I sense you are nervous about entertaining your kids alone. Don't worry! You will be at Disney, the perfect place for families. I would personally hang at the hotel, relax and enjoy it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter