Need advice about what to do with kids in the evening?

When you check in they will give you the schedule of events available for resort guests. I have never taken advantage but sometimes they have movie night, scavenger hunts, craft activities

Sometimes we just grab pizza from Napoli or Po Boys and Beignets from the Jazz Kitchen and eat in our room. The grounds of DH are nice. All the hotels have a old Disney shows in their lobby.

I love just enjoying the grounds/lounge and away from the park.

It sounds like it's important to you to have things figured out ahead of time. I totally get that, but I recommend leaving this night somewhat open so you all do what seems like the most fun at the time. Your kids are pretty little-at that age, mine would have been ready for some down time. Perhaps make a list of ideas and then you and the kids can choose that night? If it was us, it would include:
-movie in the room and room service-my kids never get room service so they looove this idea
-walk around downtown Disney and look at things. Go to the Lego store. Grab some pizza and ice cream. Listen to some music
-pool time! It will probably be plenty warm when you're there and the pool at DLH is so great. Kids would probably have a blast even if they're turning blue by the end (my kids turn blue and they are fine).
-go to the movies. If one child has to go to the bathroom, take them both. Everyone will be fine.

My bet is you and your kids will be wiped by then and very happy not to go do something super stimulating.

Thanks again everyone! We are going at the end of September so I'm glad to hear the pool could still be an option! My son hates being in a cold pool and always wants out. It's not that I'm worried about him, he just really hates it. I'm not at all worried about entertaining them, afterall it's Disney! It's more that last time we went to LA to follow DH to a conference it was offsite and they were much younger. So I actually know it's going to be so much easier and they will be able to stay up later that I wanted to schedule something fun while DH is working. I will have days of just the three of us playing it by ear because all of my reservations are when he can join us. But I am worried about logistics since it's a MHP Night so Disney isn't an option. That could mean DCA and DTD are going to be packed. That makes me think my best plan is to have a reservation somewhere. Since we have so many days to ride things I'm not interested in waiting in crazy long lines at DCA! Plus by then I think down time will be better than more rides. I know I also want something easier for me too since it's going to be a lot of running around. Thanks for the candy store idea! I'm sure they'd go crazy for that! We've never been there so that would be fun.

You could go do makeovers at anna and Elsa's boutique in DTD, the girls style is really fun and they have a boy package as well.

There are so many fun things to do at DCA.....maybe try the animation academy and learn to draw a few characters, my daughter could hang out in there all day. They also have the redwood creek challenge (which closes at dusk) but that's another place I have to pry my daughter away from. You could easily spend a few hours there before dinner.
And most likely will be very hot in September, we could spend hours at the DLH hotel pools, the water slides are really fun!!

September is generally quite hot here so you might be surprised with how swimming will go over.

Thanks for the reminder! Our last two trips were in Oct. and Dec. and one of the trips had crazy amounts of rain so I was probably thinking it would be colder. How far out is the weather usually accurate? If I check a few days before will the week be pretty accurate? That would help packing.

Thanks for the reminder! Our last two trips were in Oct. and Dec. and one of the trips had crazy amounts of rain so I was probably thinking it would be colder. How far out is the weather usually accurate? If I check a few days before will the week be pretty accurate? That would help packing.

October is usually hot too so I think you might have gotten fluke weather (it was cold this year for sure toward the end of the month). In general September is often blazing. When are you coming? We are scheduled for a heatwave for the next two week.

You could walk to Paradise Pier and have dinner or a snack at their little cafe. Then find the tv room where they play nonstop Disney cartoons by the lobby. I was surprised how quiet and empty that room was. I guess everyone was at the parks

Will you have a car? There is a Great Wolf Lodge about 2 miles down Harbor Blvd from Disneyland. They have a cute mini bowling alley, blacklight mini golf course, arcade, candy shop, ice cream parlor, etc. You can drive there and use all those facilities without being a guest of the resort. There is a per hour parking charge and the activities have a cost as well but it might be a fun thing to do with kids those ages. There are also restaurants you can eat at there.

I'm sure pool time will be an option as others have mentioned. And Disney heats the pools year round to 83 degrees so they will be warm.

You're at the DLH,, so I would just do some evening swim time, grab dinner from Tangaroa Terrace to eat by the pool and then early to bed!

This! Might not have time for swimming, but dinner at Tangaroa Terrace and just relaxing and enjoying the room sounds great.

Don't the Disney hotels usually have movie night on the grass? They set up an outdoor screen on a grassy area and play a popular Disney movie. I'd get take out from Earl of Sandwich and have a picnic while watching the movie.

7.5 and 5, such fun ages! I don't think of that as super little, so I can see why you need some entertainment options since they might not want an early bedtime. I have 4 kids- ages 3, 6, 8, 10. Let me think about what my 6 and 8 year olds like. They would love to go to a movie (and it would be easy enough to take them potty together if needed), or just walk around DTD- that place is stimulating enough! My 8 year old daughter keeps talking about doing build a bear at DTD, so you could maybe do that. Swimming in Sept. is very doable especially if the pools are heated! That would be my kids' first choice, but they'll swim until their teeth are chattering. I would do a fun dinner at rainforest cafe or something, and then swim at the hotel. Or even the idea of a movie and room service in the room sounds fun, if they do end up being tired. I've never stayed at a disneyland hotel, so no idea what they offer for entertainment. The only kid movie I can think of that will be out by end of Sept. is Ninjago- which looks hilarious and my kids would love. Sorry, I am kind of rambling and thinking out loud here, haha. All of this would be different with my 3 year old in the picture (he is a handful), but I can think of so many fun things to do with my bigger kids!

if you don't mind walking a bit, it's not far at all, about 1.5 miles, but the garden walk which is really close has a billy beez which is an indoor slide and play area for kids your age. my girls love it and the garden walk also features some very good restaurants.

October is usually hot too so I think you might have gotten fluke weather (it was cold this year for sure toward the end of the month). In general September is often blazing. When are you coming? We are scheduled for a heatwave for the next two week.

We are going the last week of September. Both times we've been we tagged along while DH worked in 2013 and 2014 so I forget which one was which. One was at the Halloween overlay and the other was at Christmas. DS is bitter he's never seen the regular HM! It was during one of those times that there was crazy flooding. I didn't realize that rides could shut down when it rains a lot! We had a great time because everyone cleared out. I doubt I will ever see the place that empty again! I much preferred it to the heat! And the never ending application of sunscreen to everyone! Do you think the weather would be pretty accurate before we leave?

Thanks Whitney I didn't realize Ninjago was out that month! But my DH loves Lego and we all loved the Batman movie so I think I need to wait for him to see it.

Thanks DLgal, I didn't realize they kept the pool so warm! Most hotel pools are so cold. I think even my picky son could handle that!

Now I need to go look up Tangaroa Terrace, I have no idea what that is.

We are going the last week of September. Both times we've been we tagged along while DH worked in 2013 and 2014 so I forget which one was which. One was at the Halloween overlay and the other was at Christmas. DS is bitter he's never seen the regular HM! It was during one of those times that there was crazy flooding. I didn't realize that rides could shut down when it rains a lot! We had a great time because everyone cleared out. I doubt I will ever see the place that empty again! I much preferred it to the heat! And the never ending application of sunscreen to everyone! Do you think the weather would be pretty accurate before we leave?

Thanks Whitney I didn't realize Ninjago was out that month! But my DH loves Lego and we all loved the Batman movie so I think I need to wait for him to see it.

Thanks DLgal, I didn't realize they kept the pool so warm! Most hotel pools are so cold. I think even my picky son could handle that!

Now I need to go look up Tangaroa Terrace, I have no idea what that is.

Tangaroa Terrace is the quick service restaurant at the Disneyland Hotel.

I usually find our weather reports to be pretty accurate even up a week in advance. Sometimes things change but I think if you check a few days before you leave you will be good.

Also, I happy for you that you're not coming next week! Gonna be over 100 in the parks omg....

this is day 3 after 2 days of open to close? Whew! We almost always take a full day off on day 3. My kids love just lounging in the room watching cable channels they don't have at home. They also like exploring the resort. Movie in room with popcorn? Swim in the spa? I'd definitely do something really low key for the chance to rest so no one ends up sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter