Need advice on Disney Hotel

caimakale

Mouseketeer
I just got back from Disneyland two weeks ago and am already planning my next trip and need some info.

I stayed at the HoJo for a couple nights in one of their two story buildings. I thought it was awful. I want to know what you guys think of the Disneyland Hotel vs. HoJo. Also what do you think of the Disneyland Hotel vs. the Grand Californian? Where would you place the Paradise Pier hotel in all of this?

At the HoJo, the room stunk like sour milk, the rooms were very dated (yellow bedspread & orange curtains), and I just had an overall bad experience. I would like to stay at the Grand Californian again, and depending on some bonuses, it may happen, but I want my backup plan just in case.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry you had such a horrible HoJo experience...if I can't stay onsite, HoJo is usually my first choice. I wonder if there is a difference between the rooms in the 2-story wing buildings as opposed to the main building?

There's really not much comparison between HoJo and DLH. HoJo (for most of us) is a nice, clean, convenient hotel, but DLH has the nice Disney touches, better amenities, nicer grounds, etc. However, you will be paying a price for DLH unless you get a really good deal thru Expedia or Travelocity. For most people, I think it comes down to what you think is a good value for your money.

As far as GC vs. DLH, I prefer GC mainly because it reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge which is my favorite WDW resort (same architect). GC is also the only hotel built by Disney from the ground up, but it is also the most expensive of the 3. DLH's rooms are larger, but that's not a huge factor for me personally. A lot of people have a tough choice deciding between the two. I'm going to be staying at DLH in a few weeks since we did GC a few years ago.

I personally don't have much desire to stay at PP, mainly because it seems so plain compared to the other two. It is the least expensive, however. I have one friend who likes to stay onsite, but doesn't want to pay GC/DLH prices, so she chooses PP. I've heard the rooms there are the largest, but they don't seem to make you feel as "Disney" as GC and DLH.

Thank you so much for your reply. I do agree the rooms at the HoJo were clean, but I wasn't impressed with anything else. I hated hauling all my luggage up the stairs because there was no elevator. That's a lot of luggage for a family of 5. (Especially when 4 of them are females..hehehe)

I've never stayed at HoJos but have stayed at all 3 Disney properties.

Grand Californian is so convenient (although many rooms are require a bit of a trek to the elevators). I find it a bit more sophisticated, also much newer than the DLH and PP. Even though DLH and and PPH undergo refurbishments periodically, they do show their age a little. It's been my experience that you're a little more likely to have minor problems there -like low water pressure or not enough hot water. But all in all, I've really enjoyed my many visits at all 3 hotels. While I definitely prefer the GC, I love the DLH also. The rooms are a little bigger than those at GC, and the grounds are nice with koi ponds, etc. It has the most Disney touches, the most shops, and it very festive. The Neverland pool area is fun, especially for kids, and they have another pool area if you want something a little quieter. The DH is close to DTD and the Monorail stop, and is a pleasant stroll down DTD from DL and DCA. PPH is off to the side, so it doesn't feel as much a part of the action. It also lacks all the Disney touches. It's a perfectly nice hotel, and gives you some of the benefits of staying "on-site", but is not as special IMO as the other two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter