Need advice on making a non-Disney enthusiast's trip great.

minnie my my

Mouseketeer
I have practically grown up at Disney World. My family and I can't get enough of that Disney magic. This will be the first trip my husband has made there since he was in middle school. I want to help him enjoy it to the fullest. I know lots of tricks on how to avoid the longest lines and that sort of stuff.

We usually just do the parks, but I think he would enjoy it more if we throw in some other stuff. He loves fishing and sports (especially football). I have considered a fishing excursion already. Please give any comments on that. Also, how is the Wide World of Sports. Would it be fun for an adult or more catered for the children. He played college football and is very into football. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I want him to enjoy his trip enough to want to go back. I am accustomed to going atleast once a year - more than that some years. I want him to get as hooked as I am.

Thanks for any tips you can send my way.

They have the NFL Experience in WWoS. Never been there though. We ate at the All Star Cafe and it was nice. The day we were there they were having Cross Country Championships.

I don't think they have the NFL experience at the Wide World of Sports anymore. There really isn't too much to do at the complex, unless there is a sporting event going on and then there is an additional cost. I would recommend skipping this.

Are you staying on property? There's plenty to do at the resorts! You could rent watercraft and go for a spin, go for a surrey bike ride, head over to the Boardwalk and enjoy the nighttime atmosphere (and the ESPN Club!), many of the resorts offer the fishing excursions and there's always miniature golf. Don't forget to visit the lounge at your resort as well.

Be sure to plan several sit down meals - these really hooked my husband! When he realized that we didn't have to go commando trying to ride every ride and eat hamburgers everyday, he was able to relax and enjoy himself. :)

Have fun!

Even if you dh isn't a big Disneyphile like the rest of us :) There is still soooo much there that is "more than Disney" In the Parks there are rides (which are fun even if you aren't into the whole "Disney Thing") Epcot is great for all its innoventions and World Showcase. Is he into technology at all? He would get into the fireworks display just from a techincal standpoint (that's my dh, figuring out how they do it). AK also can take you "out of Disney" by going to the different lands. The detail is incredible and there is lots to see that isn't "Disney-ish" MK and MGM seem to be the most Disney-ish of the parks, but they are still so much fun.

As someone else mentioned there are other things to do. Watercraft, pool, golf. Since he likes football, what about staying at AS Sports. Tell them that your dh is a big football fan and maybe you can stay in the Touchdown wing (that's the right name isn't it?)

Just to let you know, my dh wasn't keen on going to Disney the first time we went. He did it "for the kids" He was sold after our first trip and we have been back twice and now go back annually. Now he is almost as much as a Disneyphile as I am. Didn't even question why I needed a Mickey Shaped cake pan :) He is even open to the idea of me doing a Mickey theme in the kitchen! Woo Hoo!

Have hope. They do change. The magic at Disney is truly, well, magical!

:earsgirl:

Thank you so much for your responses. It's good to know that there is hope. There are people that have come around and love Disney now. We are staying at the Grand Floridian. The boats are a great idea. I haven't rented one in years but I bet he would love it. He would especially love the pontoon boats. Thanks for the info on Wide World of Sports. I think we might skip that.

My husband's family is from Germany. I think I'll try to get a ps there for lunch one day. I think ya'll had the best idea of all when you said to take it easy and not go commando. If he has to get up real early every day and rush to see everything he will never go back. He is very laid back and likes to relax on vacation. Since I've already ridden all the rides atleast a thousand times I can afford to take it slow with him. The AK is also a great idea. I think we will spend a lot of time there. He is fasinated with animals and watching nature shows on tv. AK would be right up his alley. Illuminations is agreat idea too. He would really enjoy that.

Thank ya'll for your help. I'm sure that Disney magic will get him. I can't imagine anyone not being affected by it.

BethC,

Have you tried the ESPN club? Is the food pretty good. I've heard mixed revues about it. Is the board walk enough to keep you entertained for several hours? We will have our 14 month old DS with us. That rules out Pleasure Island and very loud dance clubs.

Do not do what I did. On our first trip there, we went commando style and he hated every minute of it. He swears he couldn't even tell you what the resort looked like and he complained constantly of pains in his back and feet.

The second time he agreed only because we had a 3 year old & felt he owed it to him. Luckily, the baby's naps forced us to take our time in the morning, take midday breaks and get back fairly early. He also took in a round of golf and absolutely loved it. He really enjoyed it that trip and agreed to go back, but still didn't understand the whole "magic" thing.

Lucky me - he loves me so much that he agreed to go back, just the two of us, for our 10th anniversary. I was determined to get him to fall in love with the place. I set up an Illum. cruise, two rounds of golf, lots of lounging by the pool, Yachtsmen Steakhouse followed by JellyRolls and tons of other romantic stuff. He was having a ball, but still didn't get "it". One evening, we were watching the puppets at ToN (my absolute fav.) interact with the kids and I turned to him and stomped my foot and said "I want to be a kid". At that exact moment the metal puppet tapped me on the head and bowed to me as if to say "You'll always be a kid to us". I was beaming and had tears in my eyes. Then DH said, "Now I get it!" He's been hooked ever since and agrees that Disney is the only place for us.

Moral of the story, definitely make sure you schedule things that he'll enjoy, but you can't force anyone to understand the "magic". It is what it is "magic" and it will hit you when you least expect it.

Ityldu,

Thank you so much for your advice. You are so right about going slow and taking breaks. Our 14 month old DS will assure that we do that. I will make sure we do things outside the parks that he enjoys.

I'm glad your husband now understands the Disney magic and that ya'll had a great trip.

Myra

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter