Need advice re: best winter driving route from Ottawa to WDW

MouseGirl

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

Our family normally flies to WDW but for our next trip in February 2018 we're looking at driving down instead to help with costs and to have our own vehicle while there.

We would have three drivers to share the driving and would likely stop one night on the road each way. I've been researching two different routes - 1) I-81 from the Ivy Lea bridge crossing down through NY state and Pennsylvania and then cutting over to I-95 using the side roads to avoid Washington and continuing on I-95 all the way to Florida or 2) I-81 to I-77, then I-26 to I-95 the rest of the way.

I am reading reports of possible bad traffic on the I-95 and wondering if route #2 might be better from that perspective. But I have also read that weather and fog can be really bad on I-77 through the Blue Ridge mountains. Any advice from those on the boards who have driven either route? And any recommendations for good stopover points and hotels you use?

Thanks so much,
MouseGirl

We live in the West Island (Montreal) and the I-81 is our favourite route. We are two drivers and we prefer driving straight-thru (we feel less tired than when we stop... weird I know). We leave home at 1pm and arrive at WDW at 4pm the next day. We usually cross to the I-95 around Washington using the 15 but we are usually in the area around midnight so no traffic. We also used the 70, 66 and 64 (during the day my favourite is I-64 and Richmond traffic is not as bad as Washington traffic). The I-77 is okay but we got A LOT of traffic north of Charlotte (afternoon rush hour). All that to say that it really depends when you will be in the area based on when you leave home and if you stop a lot on the way down.

We have 4 trips under our belt, about evenly split between 66 (with bypassing) and 77. We have done 64 once as well when doing Skyline drive.

I prefer the 77 route overall; less traffic, only major city is Charlotte. We are always passing Charlotte on a Saturday/Sunday (4 times), so traffic can be a bit heavy, but no worse than Ottawa rush. Some short stop/go delays in spots but they usually clear quickly, really in a 22 hour itinerary, 20 minutes delay is minimal. Have had lots of rain through Fancy Gap, but never fog. Fog may be a problem if passing overnight or early morning, but we always seem to be passing afternoon or early evening.

I generally opt for the 66 route only because of weather watching. If there is foul weather inland, I'll cross over earlier.

Maybe just a personal thing, but I'm sure my blood pressure goes up a few points every time I hit I-95. More idiot drivers along that corridor than anywhere else.

Watch your weather window through NYS and PA. We were skirting storms in both directions this March and there was lots of carnage on the Interstate - mostly overturned trucks (4 in total). We adjusted our overnight stops both ways to avoid much of it.

Last tip - on I-95, take the Jax Beaches (295 East) bypass around downtown Jacksonville. The never ending construction on the downtown Jax section of I-95 is still ongoing by all reports.

We did the drive from Morrisburg (just south of you) this past February. We did 81 to 95. We got a trip-tik from CAA that took around Washington onto the 95 south of the city and we didn't see any traffic, we followed the instructions to the T. I don't have the exact route here with me at work, but would be happy to give you more information if you need. I would highly recommend that route. I have driven down several times, but this was the best route for us and we will use it from now on. We never sat in traffic. We took three days driving to explore on the way down, but did 2 days on the way home. We left at 1pm and stopped in Harrisburg the first day, we left on a Friday. We stopped in just south of Pooler Georgia the second night and were at Disney before noon on the Sunday. Next time we will leave earlier from home (3am or 4am) and make it down to North Carolina the first day, at least that's the plan. On the way home we stopped in Fayetteville, South Carolina and then made it home the by 10pm the next day. We didn't push ourselves, took lots of breaks. Stopped at scenic locations on the way down. It was awesome.

I used to do it in one day, but I just can't anymore. I tend to do most of the driving and I just can't stay awake like that now.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences - I'll go over this information with my husband so we can plan accordingly. It will be a big help! We'll also be sure to monitor weather close to our dates to see if there appear to be any major storms affecting road conditions either way.

Many thanks once again,
MouseGirl

We also drive from Montreal's south shore and the I-81 is our favorite route. We've done the drive 10 times and the next one is coming up in August! :banana:
We only did I-95 all the way the first time and it was not spectacular. We do I87-287-78-81-77-26-95-4-home! :bitelip:
Since we stop overnight in Roanoke or Salem (VA), we usually hit some pretty intense fog the morning after on the 77 but it's very do-able.
I'd have to say I'm much more afraid of the possible snowstorms in the Adirondacks, which we've encountered twice already! :faint:
So watch the weather and make changes accordingly (that's the great thing about driving, you can adapt!). It went very well this past March so we didn't need to change the itinerary but we were prepared to use I-81 all the way up (crossing at the 1000 islands) if there was snow in the forecast.
Apart from the possible weather being bad, the winter/spring drives are easier than the summer ones! There is practically no construction going on, much less people on the roads, and it's easier on gas when you don't need a/c. Plus the summer drives usually end with the Florida thunderstorms and I can't say enough how much I HATE driving through these! I'm not usually afraid of thunderstorms but driving through one is another thing...:scared1:
We'll hopefully go back next March as well (new annual passholders! :cool1:) and we should drive too :drive:

I have to say that we really enjoy the drive. We've got our preferred stops and our gagdets for the car and it makes it fun. Don't get me wrong : these are still two very looooong days in the car, but it's definitely for a good cause! ::yes::

We've gone on 77 a bunch of times to avoid the north section of the 95 but last trip, we just took the 95 the whole way and it was fine and it's an easier drive as there are less mountains.

One thing we do is have Google maps on which notifies us of accidents (on quite a few occasions we've avoided long delays caused be accidents by getting off the highway for a few miles to bypass an accident and then getting back on once past it.

The worst section is Washington which is why we hit it at night. We will leave after school at 4pm, go through Washington at 1pm and then will arrive around 6pm the next day. Yes there is fog and there can be snow, but if you have snow tires on you'll be fine. On the way back we leave around 9-10pm, drive past Washington (at night) then stay along the way. The following day it's a really easy drive home. This past Christmas it cost us: $148 return (in a prius!) ;)

We just drove in April to WDW from Ottawa. In the past we have done several routes. I use to drive Transport truck so I know I95 and I81 pretty good. The best route for us is 416-401-Thousand Island Bridge- I81- I77-I26-I95-I4 into Orlando. (approx 22hrs straight through providing no traffic hickups.) The views going through the mountains are like nothing you have seen before. I find the drive pretty easy with a lot less traffic then I95 whipping around Washington.
You will ALWAYS have traffic around Savannah to Jacksonville. Its the way the I95 is designed with the 4 lanes being pretty narrow. Try and time it so that you hit that area off rush hours.

If you want to stop, then a cheap and clean hotel at the half way mark is Best Western Yadkin in Elkin NC. Good for a 8 hr sleep.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much once again everyone - you have all been so helpful!! Hearing about your experiences has been invaluable in our trip planning.

MouseGirl

MouseGirl - I have driven several times from Ottawa down to Florida with my family and here are my thoughts:

#1 - don't make the mistake of crossing at Prescott - in the winter its bad roads, in summer its Mennonite buggies. Take the 401 to 1000 islands/Ivy Lea
#2 - 81 south is pretty easy in summer however watch the weather forecast in winter - they get a lots of lake effect snow in the area from the border down through Syracuse
#3 - the road through Scranton can be foggy no matter what time of year
#4 - my fav route is #81 to the #66 to the 17 (which is also the 15 for a stretch) - its twinned the whole way and gets your around DC by connecting to the 95 at Fredrickburg. I've gone straight through DC coming home on #95 at night with no traffic - it all depends on your time of day
#5 - know which ring roads to take by checking construction but...generally don't take Syracuse, do take Richmond, Jacksonville seems to be a toss-up
#6 - this is the most important - DO stop at the Florida visitor's centre to get your free glass of orange or grapefruit drink :)

Its a fun drive - there is stuff to see the whole way, only the last part into Orlando is annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter