Need computer help....

newmousecateer

Babcia Extraordinaire/B-Elder YaYa
Just got a new computer with Windows XP. I installed the Norton Firewall 2003 and Norton Systemworks 2003. Everything is running just fine.

But DH send an e-mail home from work with an excel spreadsheet attachment. When he went to open it last night, he got a message that OE had removed the attachment. I know the attachment was not infected, as he sent it to me at work and it is fine.

Is there a setting on the Norton Firewall that is doing this?

Thanks...

Yes, there are settings on firewall software that will automatically remove files with specific extensions on it. Our firewall at work, for instance, removes all .exe, .jpg, and .gif files that come from an outside source.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Norton Firewall to tell you how to change that setting -- maybe someone else here will know how to.

Thanks Steve. I think I am just going to have to relax with a good book tonite.....the Firewall manual.;)

I have this same problem on my machine -

What I have found that if I hit "Forward" to send the email to other people, the attachment is that accessible as if there were no problems with it. (and usually they are fine.) ..

Maybe that helps you out! :crazy: Crazy, I know.

I had the same problem. It's in OE and easy to fix. :)

-Open OE
-Click on Tools
-Click on Options
-Click on the Security tab
-UNcheck the box that says... Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus.
-Click on OK

That should fix it. :) In fact, the document might show up without your DH having to resend it.

I have the same thing with Win98, OE & Norton AV. I leave my security settings so that attachments won't open. Many attachments (like pix) will still appear in the message or preview pane. For those few that don't appear (e.g. Excel spreadsheets) I change the settings to save the attachment if I know who is sending it. Then I re-set so that attachments won't open...until the next time.

It's more work, but I had a virus get through on DD's system that infected the entire network here at the house. I figure that the time spent fixing every system in the house was more than the time I'll spend re-setting OE for about the next 3 years. :rolleyes:

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter