Need opinions on our resort hopping day

DanielNYC

The wand always chooses the wizard!
We have been wanting to do a resort hopping day for a while, and it looks like this Sunday is the day! Would appreciate opinions on our plan and happy to change it! The only things that are set in stone is that we are having lunch at Sanaa at 1:00 and dinner at The Wave at 7:00. Overall we want to meander around the resorts, check out the shops & QS offerings, etc.

So, here is the plan as it stands right now. We are planning on parking the car at DS in the morning (plant to arrive at 9:30 give or take) then take a bus to Pop, skyliner to CB, skyliner to Riviera, then skyliner to Epcot. From there we could walk over and check out the Boardwalk area. I think at this point we would be ready to take a bus over to AKL. FWIW, I think AKL is a resort we are likely to linger at more not only because of lunch, but because of the animals, theming, etc. After this, I think it would be time to head over to the Poly (another one we will want to spend some time at) then finally head over to the Contemporary.

We are open to taking Uber or whatever if bus transportation will either be inconvenient or non-existent between certain resorts. We are not averse to lots of walking and do so frequently as part of our daily routines so no issues there at all.

Do you think this is doable? Would you do it a little differently?

I have read that they are allowing people with verified resort (hotel) reservations resort hop with no problem. I’ve have only heard of people being turned away when driving themselves and trying to park in resort parking lots. I know that is not your question but I’m curious if you run into any obstacles at the resorts you visit. Maybe using Disney transportation will be the way to go. You’ll have to let us know about your experience. It sounds like a fun day!!

Most people are reporting that as long as you are taking Disney transportation to and from each resort, or walking in you will be fine. So basically, you just can't drive or uber to a resort that you don't have a dining ressie for. Sounds like you can monorail and boat around the MK area and walk around the boardwalk area and use the skyliner all you want and get into the hotels no problem.

Most people are reporting that as long as you are taking Disney transportation to and from each resort, or walking in you will be fine. So basically, you just can't drive or uber to a resort that you don't have a dining ressie for. Sounds like you can monorail and boat around the MK area and walk around the boardwalk area and use the skyliner all you want and get into the hotels no problem.
Thanks, and yes I've heard the same thing. They basically don't want you using the parking lots at the hotels unless you have a dining reservation there. I'm curious though at your comment about not being able to use Uber. Why would they care since the Uber drops you off and drives away?

From there we could walk over and check out the Boardwalk area. I think at this point we would be ready to take a bus over to AKL.
Your plan for the day looks good except getting to AKL from the Boardwalk. Since there is no bus service from BWI/BWV area to AKL so you would have to walk all the way back through Epcot to the front to catch a bus to AKL.

This is where I would suggest you grab an Uber / Lyft to AKL from the BW.

Dave

Your plan for the day looks good except getting to AKL from the Boardwalk. Since there is no bus service from BWI/BWV area to AKL so you would have to walk all the way back through Epcot to the front to catch a bus to AKL.

Dave
Good info. Thanks and will do!

Dave
Probably better to walk or Skyliner or boat to DHS from BWI instead of walking thru EPCOT. Walking thru EPCOT would require park admission and a park reservation.

I'm curious though at your comment about not being able to use Uber. Why would they care since the Uber drops you off and drives away?
The comments about Uber / Lyft are related to guests using a drop off at the CR to walk to the MK. Just too many guests want to do this since it is the closest drop off to the MK. So at the CR, if you don't have a resort reservation or ADR and MK is open they almost always redirect you to the TTC.

Dave

The comments about Uber / Lyft are related to guests using a drop off at the CR to walk to the MK. Just too many guests want to do this since it is the closest drop off to the MK. So at the CR, if you don't have a resort reservation or ADR and MK is open they almost always redirect you to the TTC.

Dave
Got it. Makes sense.

We have been wanting to do a resort hopping day for a while, and it looks like this Sunday is the day! Would appreciate opinions on our plan and happy to change it! The only things that are set in stone is that we are having lunch at Sanaa at 1:00 and dinner at The Wave at 7:00. Overall we want to meander around the resorts, check out the shops & QS offerings, etc.

So, here is the plan as it stands right now. We are planning on parking the car at DS in the morning (plant to arrive at 9:30 give or take) then take a bus to Pop, skyliner to CB, skyliner to Riviera, then skyliner to Epcot. From there we could walk over and check out the Boardwalk area. I think at this point we would be ready to take a bus over to AKL. FWIW, I think AKL is a resort we are likely to linger at more not only because of lunch, but because of the animals, theming, etc. After this, I think it would be time to head over to the Poly (another one we will want to spend some time at) then finally head over to the Contemporary.

We are open to taking Uber or whatever if bus transportation will either be inconvenient or non-existent between certain resorts. We are not averse to lots of walking and do so frequently as part of our daily routines so no issues there at all.

Do you think this is doable? Would you do it a little differently?
I would do POP, CBR and RIV and the take the Skyliner over to DHS to catch a bus to AKV. After lunch, I would take my time enjoying the AKV resort and then take a bus to MK. From MK you can boat or monorail to Poly, maybe even walk over to GF if you’re so inclined, and then monorail to CR for dinner. After dinner, walk over to MK and catch a bus to BWI. The Boardwalk is livelier in the evening. From BWI, take a DS bus back to your car.

I would do POP, CBR and RIV and the take the Skyliner over to DHS to catch a bus to AKV. After lunch, I would take my time enjoying the AKV resort and then take a bus to MK. From MK you can boat or monorail to Poly, maybe even walk over to GF if you’re so inclined, and then monorail to CR for dinner. After dinner, walk over to MK and catch a bus to BWI. The Boardwalk is livelier in the evening. From BWI, take a DS bus back to your car.
Good alternate plan. Thanks!

Thanks, and yes I've heard the same thing. They basically don't want you using the parking lots at the hotels unless you have a dining reservation there. I'm curious though at your comment about not being able to use Uber. Why would they care since the Uber drops you off and drives away?

I don’t think it’s really about parking lots, I think it’s about minimizing the number of people in the resort hotel public spaces for health safety.

I don’t think it’s really about parking lots, I think it’s about minimizing the number of people in the resort hotel public spaces for health safety.

Perhaps now and with rideshares.

But prior to COVID, yes the primary concern with parking at the resort (never had an issue at AKL or Poly taking a Lyft for a dining reservation) - especially the Contemporary/BLT and to a lesser degree the other MK-area resorts (and the Epcot/Studios resorts in walking distance) was people taking advantage of “free while dining” parking to avoid the park parking fees. As well as - obviously - to ensure there are enough spots for actual staying at the hotel guests.

I f going to Poly then walk through the Grand Floridian property. Stop at Sandy Cove for an ice-cream sandwich snack or at the beautiful new adult bar area in the main building for an afternoon cocktail. I am not sure if the walkway is open to the Magic Kingdom but if so walk to MK and then over to the Contemporary Wave. So jealous. Wish I was there. Have fun.

I f going to Poly then walk through the Grand Floridian property. Stop at Sandy Cove for an ice-cream sandwich snack or at the beautiful new adult bar area in the main building for an afternoon cocktail. I am not sure if the walkway is open to the Magic Kingdom but if so walk to MK and then over to the Contemporary Wave. So jealous. Wish I was there. Have fun.
Don't get mad at me, but we opted for a dole whip at Pineapple Lanai instead! :) However we did check out Sandy Cove and thought it was very nice!

Thanks to everyone who helped us have a great resort hopping day! Here's how it went.

Arrived here yesterday (Sunday) at around 10:00AM after driving up from Miami (a dream, btw, on a Sunday morning with no traffic and a straight shot up on the turnpike). All went pretty much according to plan with a few surprises here and there. Went to 8 resorts (PC, CB, RV, BC, AKL, Poly, GF and CR). Didn't make it to the Boardwalk (no time) but that's OK. We dropped off the car at DS and used buses, the skyliner (loved it!), 1 Uber and our feet to get around.

It was a lot of fun exploring all the resorts (most of which we'd never set foot in) and taking in the vibe and themeing at all the properties. Didn't have any issues accessing any of the resorts except the one time we used an Uber to get to our lunch reservation at AKL. The guard asked to see our reservation confirmation, we showed it to him, and that was that. Worth noting that if we'd taken a bus there instead we would not have been questioned as nobody said anything to us at any of the other resorts when we arrived by Disney transportation or on foot. The only negative was that we couldn't meander inside any of the QS restaurants at the resorts because you had to mobile order something in order to go inside and we didn't need to do that. However the shops and public spaces were fair game and that was enough for us.

Lunch was at Sanaa and dinner was at The Wave. Both very good, but our waiter at The Wave (Joseph) was a standout. I don't think I've ever been waited on by someone with such a positive attitude. He's wasted as a waiter and should be giving seminars on how to be an outstanding waiter. My wife made it a point to find the manager before we left to sing his praises.

The evening ended with a bus ride back to DS from the CR to pick up the car. I was pleased to see near 100% mask compliance at all the resorts. People also seemed to be very aware of their personal space. When we ate at both restaurants all the masks came off for all diners but that didn't bother me because the table spacing at both restaurants met the distancing requirements.

Thanks again everyone!

Don't get mad at me, but we opted for a dole whip at Pineapple Lanai instead! :) However we did check out Sandy Cove and thought it was very nice!
No way mad but a bit jealous!! lol. AHHHH the Dole Whip. Yum. Hope your day was great. We have three trips planned for 2021. We would visit now if we could get an annual pass. They are NOT selling them right now. As we have the other trips planned an annual pass is the only way to go. We are hoping this no AP rule changes before January. Safe travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!