• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Rental Car Advice

jeffp18

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney for 2 weeks starting at the end of June. I am not sure where I should rent from or what class of car. I am looking at National, Enterprise, Alamo and Hertz. I get National Executive and Hertz President's Circle status through my credit card. I booked a car at National when I originally booked the trip because all of the prices were fairly similar. Now when I check, National is still the same price but the other 3 have dropped. At Enterprise and Alamo I can book all the way up to a Premium Elite SUV for the price of my National rental. At Hertz, the lowest priced vehicle they have is a Small SUV (Nissan Rogue or similar), which is the same price as the Premium Elite SUV at Enterprise and Alamo. Does anyone know if the Small SUV would qualify me for the President's Circle area?

The first week of the trip we are staying on site and will drive to most of the parks. We are going down with my daughter's dance school so we will have extra luggage and will need a bigger trunk. We are staying offsite the second week and will be doing mostly other attractions in the area with maybe another day or 2 at Disney. Since we will be doing more driving, I want something more than just a basic full size car.

I know that the prices should continue to fluctuate between now and then so hopefully the decision will be easier as the trip gets closer, but which company and vehicle class would you go with?

I am going to Disney for 2 weeks starting at the end of June. I am not sure where I should rent from or what class of car. I am looking at National, Enterprise, Alamo and Hertz. I get National Executive and Hertz President's Circle status through my credit card. I booked a car at National when I originally booked the trip because all of the prices were fairly similar. Now when I check, National is still the same price but the other 3 have dropped. At Enterprise and Alamo I can book all the way up to a Premium Elite SUV for the price of my National rental. At Hertz, the lowest priced vehicle they have is a Small SUV (Nissan Rogue or similar), which is the same price as the Premium Elite SUV at Enterprise and Alamo. Does anyone know if the Small SUV would qualify me for the President's Circle area?

The first week of the trip we are staying on site and will drive to most of the parks. We are going down with my daughter's dance school so we will have extra luggage and will need a bigger trunk. We are staying offsite the second week and will be doing mostly other attractions in the area with maybe another day or 2 at Disney. Since we will be doing more driving, I want something more than just a basic full size car.

I know that the prices should continue to fluctuate between now and then so hopefully the decision will be easier as the trip gets closer, but which company and vehicle class would you go with?
National, Enterprise, and Alamo are all owned and operated by the same parent corporation. Their vehicle choices are much the same. In many locations, including MCO and the Disney Car Care Center, they share garage facilities. You can join the Alamo Insider program for free using an online registration. Then take advantage of online checkin and skip the counter to be able to go directly to the aisle in the garage where you pick up your car. As prices drop, rebook and then cancel the original booking once the rebooking is confirmed.

Rental cars to me have always been a commodity so I choose one of the major brands with the best price. I belong to the whatever club Avis has, so I can go directly to my car and avoid standing in any lines. I think all of the major brands have those clubs. Cut-rate rental companies often have their location off-site which adds another layer of complication to the rental process.

Make sure to look at the actual vehicle sizes/choices on their website. Rental cars always seem to classify something larger than I would. so a 'mid-size' car to them is more what I call a compact. Rent the appropriate size car for the size of your party long with the luggage you will have. It wouldn't make much sense to rent a 2-seat car if your party is 4 people regardless of how good the price might be.

Do you need a specific size vehicle? If not, my recommendation is to book from National or Hertz at midsize and see what is available on the aisle when you get there. National at MCO with Executive status gives you two aisles to choose from. With Hertz and PC status you get to choose from three. I generally book with National and the last three times I've been there I've gotten a Chrysler Voyager minivan, Buick Enclave SUV and a Toyota Rav4. Those were all from the Emerald Aisle, with Executive you'd have access to higher end vehicles. When I was there last month the Executive Aisle had a Nissan Armada, Chrysler Pacifica and a couple BMWs to choose from in addition to everything else.

Do you need a specific size vehicle? If not, my recommendation is to book from National or Hertz at midsize and see what is available on the aisle when you get there. National at MCO with Executive status gives you two aisles to choose from. With Hertz and PC status you get to choose from three. I generally book with National and the last three times I've been there I've gotten a Chrysler Voyager minivan, Buick Enclave SUV and a Toyota Rav4. Those were all from the Emerald Aisle, with Executive you'd have access to higher end vehicles. When I was there last month the Executive Aisle had a Nissan Armada, Chrysler Pacifica and a couple BMWs to choose from in addition to everything else.
I do not need a specific size exactly. Just need something that will fit 3 suitcases, 2 of them carryon size. Just want to get something more than a basic car seeing as I will be do a fair amount of driving.

I do not need a specific size exactly. Just need something that will fit 3 suitcases, 2 of them carryon size. Just want to get something more than a basic car seeing as I will be do a fair amount of driving.
Personally, I would go with a full size sedan. That should easily fit your needs and is easier on gas than an SUV. Now, if you have issues getting in/out of cars vs SUVs, that's a different story.

Personally, I would go with a full size sedan. That should easily fit your needs and is easier on gas than an SUV. Now, if you have issues getting in/out of cars vs SUVs, that's a different story.
I do have hip issues which is partly why I want a company where you pick your own car so I can sit in them before I decide. It's not a deal breaker but would be nice to have options. Any car bigger than a economy or compact should give me enough leg room. I typically drive with the seat slid all the way back.

I do have hip issues which is partly why I want a company where you pick your own car so I can sit in them before I decide. It's not a deal breaker but would be nice to have options. Any car bigger than a economy or compact should give me enough leg room. I typically drive with the seat slid all the way back.
The "Full Size" sedans I've been getting at Hertz and National have been Toyota Camry's, Chevy Malibus, and Hyundai Sonatas just to give you an idea.

This has NOT been at MCO however.

We rent standard at Alamo because they don't have a standard aisle and you choose from the full sized vehicles, save a few dollars. You get to pick your own. Last month there were 2 mini vans and an suv. Plus, the employees have been so nice and friendly.

We rent standard at Alamo because they don't have a standard aisle and you choose from the full sized vehicles, save a few dollars. You get to pick your own. Last month there were 2 mini vans and an suv. Plus, the employees have been so nice and friendly.
That's a good tip. Thanks for the advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter